PDA

View Full Version : &%#Ī!&% SPEED CONTROL !!

naimex
15-06-04, 12:27
Just got flashed by a speed control :(

bloody coppers.. the last day I have to go to school.. just had to deliver my books.. and I get flashed by them !!

grrr !!

hope they got a lousy photo so they canīt fine me...

but if they can :(

then there goes my holiday vacation..

Jeros82
15-06-04, 12:29
lol, cops > you :D

I've been caught only once driving to fast, although i always drive to fast :p

Nidhogg
15-06-04, 12:33
In the UK, all cameras flash when you break the limit and/or run the lights, but not all cameras have film in them. ;) Just because you got flashed does not necessarily mean that you will be charged. I've been flashed twice and was not charged on either occasion.

N

P.S. Sure, modern cameras are digital but there are still plenty of the old cameras around.

Jeros82
15-06-04, 12:35
In the UK, all cameras flash when you break the limit and/or run the lights, but not all cameras have film in them. ;) Just because you got flashed does not necessarily mean that you will be charged. I've been flashed twice and was not charged on either occasion.

N

P.S. Sure, modern cameras are digital but there are still plenty of the old cameras around.

You lucky S.O.B. 8|

subsys
15-06-04, 12:36
about 90% of the UK cameras still require film in them (according to certain motoring magazines :D) its mostly the ones on the M25 and around london that have been swapped to the instant fine ones (cant remember what there called) the important this is did the camera flash once or twice.

if it was once then your okay the camera had no film, if it was twice theres a high chance your fucked

winnoc
15-06-04, 12:39
Hmm, ever since i got pulled off the road after a 10km chase by an unmarked car (i was doing 210km/h) i stopped driving too fast.
Fine: 800 Euros en 9 weeks of driver's license revoked.

Only got "flashed twice since then" at that was just a small fine

naimex
15-06-04, 12:40
Uhm...

this one flashed 1 time.. but I didnīt quite figure out why.. I only drove 10-20 km/h above the limit..

and it didnt flash until the front of my car was next to the back of their car..

but still.. if they decide to fine me..

then :

Old rules : 1000 kr.
New rules : 5000 kr.

....plus Iīve only had my license for 2 years and 3 months..

Still got 9 months left of probation before the license is really mine.

Benjie
15-06-04, 12:45
It's good if you get fined.

Blind spots are everywhere, there is no avoiding them.
your speed determins your ability to control the situation, and often is the line between whether you live or die. Not to mention the life of pedestrians, and the person you crash into.

The police are there for a reason. As much as people hate them, without them the world would be a much, much, much worse place.

Maloch Octavia
15-06-04, 12:45
I managed to set off a traffic light camera, you know, the ones that watch for people crossing the line at a red light?
It took three seperate pictures.

First one, I was shocked, second one, I was smiling, third one, I was waving with one hand.

I was on my cycle bike. :)

I also managed to set off a camera in 20mph zone, because it was a long downhill stretch, and in my top gear, I was tanking at about 30mph. I love my bike.

Maloch Octavia
15-06-04, 12:47
your speed determins your ability to control the situation, and often is the line between whether you live or die. Not to

It's also a well known fact that the majority of good cars, handle better at higher speeds, and give you a great chance of escaping trouble, should you be a skilled driver.
One of my colleagues has done the advanced driving classes and has a qualification in evasive driving, I've never seen him drive slower than 70mph where the roads permit it.

I'd rather be in the car with him, than a guy I know that never pushes it over 20, and has issues changing lanes on an empty road.

phunqe
15-06-04, 12:48
In the UK, when you get flashed, you get a photography sent to you home right?
Basically they ask you if this is you or not and they require you to answer?

I heard something quite interesting yesterday. Apparently there is some european law which applies to these kind of situations. Basically it states that you are not oblidged to answer even if the letter itself is very "threatening".

Now, for the love of anyone, don't quote me on this... I just heard it on some EU talk programme or whatever. :)

Benjie
15-06-04, 12:48
It's also a well known fact that the majority of good cars, handle better at higher speeds, and give you a great chance of escaping trouble, should you be a skilled driver.
[ edited ]
Just drive slow, okay?

Maloch Octavia
15-06-04, 12:50
Bullshit? It's true, check up on it. Same for motorbikes, they handle better at higher speed. Greater traction and control.

*Shrugs*

Until such day as we're proven wrong, my group of friends will continue to drive at breakneck speeds, because they can handle it.

(Might I also add, that tanning along a road at 80mph, you're a hell of a lot more aware of your situation and surroundings than the dodder chugging at 30mph, who's either starting to daydream, or tunnel focus, or is trying to change music / use phone / smoke / eat / drink / stare at pretty ladies.)

My mates aren't boy racers, they buy stock cars that are already powerful enough, but they're good at what they do.

phunqe
15-06-04, 12:51
One of my colleagues has done the advanced driving classes and has a qualification in evasive driving, I've never seen him drive slower than 70mph where the roads permit it.

If I were to write a resume over the human kind, that would pretty much cover our whole problem we're facing on this goddamn planet.

EDIT: Slow drivers are dangerous, I know that. This has nothing to do with drivers who travels under the speed limit however.

Jeros82
15-06-04, 12:52
[ edited ] Just drive slow, okay?

Ow man, go home.... Slow driving is for old people, "mostly women" and people who are taking lessons.... Otherwise drive the way you like.... I always drive about 10 - 20 km/h faster than allowed...

phunqe
15-06-04, 12:55
Until such day as we're proven wrong, my group of friends will continue to drive at breakneck speeds, because they can handle it.

I rest my case.

Maloch Octavia
15-06-04, 12:55
People assume speed kills.

It doesn't.

It's the big fucking lump of steel that kills.

Example I can think of, we were going through the back roads of Torrance one day, and he was breaking this thing to the limit, must've been about 100, twisty, turning roads, and the grip was superb, it wasn't sliding, wasn't tailing, was handling like a dream. All of a sudden, we turn the corner, and there's wabbit sitting in the middle of the road.

Now unlike a lot of people, my mates theory is simple: The wabbit dies.

I've never seen anything that didn't fly, go that high before. :p

With a different friend, same area, there was a break in the fence, and cows had wandered onto the road, my friend slammed on the break, wrenched the wheel, slammed on the handbrake, and ended up the other way around, his ass facing the cows, and everyone was okay. He stopped quicker and shorter than someone who'd just slam on the break pedal, doing 40mph.

phunqe
15-06-04, 12:56

It doesn't.

It's not facts that kills. It's attitude.

Benjie
15-06-04, 12:56
Ow man, go home.... Slow driving is for old people, "mostly women" and people who are taking lessons.... Otherwise drive the way you like.... I always drive about 10 - 20 km/h faster than allowed...
*Edited by benjie*

(but you can guess what it said)

Benjie
15-06-04, 12:59

It doesn't.

It does though.
If your in a blind spot situation, you will not be able to handle it if your going over the speed limit.

Maloch Octavia
15-06-04, 12:59
Well, I'll be sure to cut up more people on busy town roads today just to prove my point.

By the way, I only cycle, so I always lose. *Grins and looks at the many scars and bruises*

Oh.. FUCKING BUS DRIVERS!!!

formori
15-06-04, 13:00
contest the fine and ask to see the calibration certificate for the camera. if they cant produce one then they cannot charge you

naimex
15-06-04, 13:01
contest the fine and ask to see the calibration certificate for the camera. if they cant produce one then they cannot charge you

uhm.. calibration certificate...

sorry, I donīt know what that is..

SilentEye
15-06-04, 13:01
Buy a Stinger, my parents both have them. it starts beeping when a camera pole comes in and it beeps faster when you get closer ;)

LTA
15-06-04, 13:06
In the UK, all cameras flash when you break the limit and/or run the lights, but not all cameras have film in them. lol

Were lucky round here

Someone took a real big dislike to the cameras and went and painted all the lenses in white paint

sanityislost
15-06-04, 13:16

People always say shit like that till they kill some random person.

SiL ..:..

Jeros82
15-06-04, 13:19
*Edited by benjie*

(but you can guess what it said)

Euhmmmm, let me guesss..... something like this ????

You will probabally crash into a lamp post and die because of your igonrant attitude. It's what happens to people like you. Do you want to know why?

:angel:
:angel: -- "Jeros82: I died because I hit a tree"
:angel: -- "Elvis: You ain't nuthin' but a hound dog..."

Thank you for your comment Benjie :mad:

Benjie
15-06-04, 13:24
Thank you for your comment Benjie :mad:
In reply to this?

I had to edit my PM several times to tone it down.
I didn't want to flame you, but with an attitude like that you *will* die. Or worse, kill someone else.

Genty
15-06-04, 13:29
Having only recently passed my test, I have only 6 points to play with before my driving privilages would be taken away from me. My rule of thumb for speed is that I will always keep to 20mph and 30mph speed limits because they are there for a reason and I respect the reason that they are there for. In 40 zones I generally stay around 45. 60 zones I don't go above 70 and 70 zones i don't go above 80. (one factor in this might be the car I drive :D)

Jeros82
15-06-04, 13:30
So you are saying that driving a little faster then allowed kills ya ???

Didn't think so.....

I don't drive 100 km/h all the time... Only on the high way....
There are people who drive 100 km/h where your allowed 50 km/h...
Those people should be pulled of the road...

LTA
15-06-04, 13:39
or the people who drink, smoke, talk on there phone, play with there stereo, fart arse about trying to find lose change, blabbering on to a mate, watching some fine ass pedestrian on the side of the road it's easier to say someone was doing 80 than to say he was changing the radio station, even tho he prolly did both together they will only really take note that the person is clocking mad speeds.

Scikar
15-06-04, 13:56
It's good if you get fined.

Blind spots are everywhere, there is no avoiding them.
your speed determins your ability to control the situation, and often is the line between whether you live or die. Not to mention the life of pedestrians, and the person you crash into.

The police are there for a reason. As much as people hate them, without them the world would be a much, much, much worse place.

That isn't being contested (well, not very well, anyway). What is being contested is the definition of safe speed. On a nice day, with full visibility, on a straight, even road, 70mph is perfectly safe, yet the limit is 60mph. On a motorway, 80mph is actually more safe than 70mph IMO. Firstly, because nearly everyone except lorries and caravans is going at 75+, so if you pull out to overtake a lorry you have people behind you travelling faster than you are. On a dual carriageway this forces them to slow down, and that could lead to accident. Sure, they were all going over the speed limit. But after you pull out in front of a car travelling at 85, in the knowledge that if he was doing 70 there would be plently of space between you, and he crashes into the back of you causing a pile up which kills 10 people, is telling yourself that going to absolve you from all blame?

Second, overtaking a lorry is going to take less time if you're at a higher speed, simple fact. If you are overtaking a lorry at 70mph, again especially on a dual carriageway, you get an instant buildup of cars behind you. Since everybody drives too close (go to a 2 chevrons area and see how many chevrons there are between you and the person behind you) in that kind of situation, that means if there is an accident, it's going to be larger than it would be if all the traffic was spread out, as it was prior to being slowed down by someone overtaking at 70mph. This also applies on motorways in the situation where one lorry overtakes another, and you can then have a car overtaking them in the outside lane at 70.

The ONLY time where I agree with the speed limit is in 30 and 20 zones. They are there for an extremely good reason - there could very well be kids about and they could run into the road at any time. At 35 mph you're twice as likely to kill someone than if you were at 30 mph. I'll be the first to admit, I'll happily do 70+ on a main road with a 60 limit if I know the road well, and I'm happy to do even 85 on a motorway, though I tend to stick to 70-75 (only have 4 gears, so 80+ for long stretches gets a bit unpleasant, as well as expensive).

Finally, people would not be so annoyed about speed cameras if they were used to prevent accidents. However, they are not, they are used as a source of income (as proved by various superintendants, admitting that reduced accidents is not a factor in their speed camera targets, but revenue is). A prime example is in fact right outside my house, in my village. I have seen people tear through at 50, 60 mph even when there are kids on the pavement. In a neighbouring village, which I have to pass through to get home, I'll get stuck behind people who won't go above 45 on the main road to it, but then they don't slow down at all through the village and go past young children on their way home from school doing 45 mph.

Despite various campaigns, the council won't put up cameras or traffic calming, on the grounds that there haven't been any deaths yet. But they've just put mini roundabouts and other traffic calming measures, along with speed cameras, and lowered the speed limit from 40 to 30, in the main road through nearby Catterick. How many deaths there? None.

On the A66, there is an accident black spot, and the sign by the road tells you there have been 149 deaths along that stretch in the last 8 months. There aren't any cameras there that I've seen, but they have the signs up and there are radar traps every so often. But how many in the black spot area? One. There are 3 hills along the 20 miles or so before the black spot, and after every hill there is a bay for a radar trap, to catch you as your speed goes up down the hill, and they can tag you from up to a mile away where you can't even see them. At the black spot, there is one, and it's just after the sign, so you read the sign, and while you're busy doing so, the radar trap tags you. The actual dangerous parts are the junctions, near which there are no bays for a radar trap. Go figure.

So in response to naimex's original post, if you were flashed outside of a built up area on a road you know well, then I'm sympathetic if you get fined. If it was in a 30 zone (or whatever the equivalent is over there), especially during school hours when there are kids about, then I don't really feel very sympathetic.

LTA
15-06-04, 14:01
Despite various campaigns, the council won't put up cameras or traffic calming, on the grounds that there haven't been any deaths yet.

heh same bullshit we got round here....

Took my best mate to die to get them to a put a simple 1.3 meter metal fence at the bottom of a well known hill, everyone comes down it on bikes, skates etc and so people petioned and everything. No deaths they said, its not a accident spot.
My mate went down on skates hit a mound of grass and ended with his head under a tyre, intensive care for a week before they turned of the life support.

Not always the driver either heh sometimes it the fuckin idiots in power positions, who won't build a simple fence, or some road bumps,

Kain
15-06-04, 14:02
I live in the UK and have 9 points on my driving license. Though only crash I ever had was at 2 mph.

They do not send you the photo. You have to respond within 14 days and request it. but if you do so then the cost of the ticket increases (from what I remember) as you have to pay within 14 days to get reduced cost.

All points were from two location.

First one the camera could be turned so it could flash different traffic directions. Drove the one way at the speed limit cos the camera was pointing my way. When I came back I didnt notice that they had turned it round - DOH (51 mph in a 40 zone, clear road).

Other two were from same location where they kindly put a camera car hidden behind a hedge, just before a speed camera halfway down a long hill. Couldnt see it coming up the hill because of the crash barrier in middle of road. Annoying as hell,(both 61mph in a 50 zone, both times overtaking a lorry doing lot less than speed limit) as road is two lane each way with no turnoff's nearby.

One more and I loose my license for 6 months (tis 3 pts per offense, providing you are not going 50% more than the speed limit). As well as a large fine.

Now I have to drive like my mother :(

Funny thing is I used to do 12 -14K business miles a year and never once got a ticket.

The number of camera's in the UK is now getting stupid.

Though the government have to do something as most Britains still speed. As a whole we are very law abiding. But when it comes to driving most of us speed.

Only another 2 years (total is 3) till I have a clean license again.

Though I feel I'm not going to make it ( have to travel 55 miles each way to get to work).

Now I have to drive slower it feels strange. Not that I used to drive at stupid speeds. But I find myself entering an auto-pilot / trance like state when driving slower than the limit. suddenly realising that I cant remember the last 10 miles of road I've driven. Never used to get that driving just above speed limit.

The other problem I have is other drivers tailgating and getting pissy.

Sometimes I think I need a bumper sticker saying "Sorry I have 9 points (on my license)"

Kain

Dribble Joy
15-06-04, 14:04
It's not about handling, traction or whatever.

It's about time and distance.

Doing 40 in a 30 zone (ie residential) increases your stopping distance by a huge amount, dozens of yards.

Assuming you can 'handle it', quite frankly is completely irresponsible.

sytheon
15-06-04, 14:09
The faster you go, the less time you have to react so therefore going faster than
anyone else on the road is kinda dumb. avoiding an 8 foot ladder while changing
lanes at 90 mph is alot harder than at 65 mph.

secondly, my car starts to jiggle around 60mph so i generally dont go faster
than that. im too lazy to go get the wheels rebalanced and too annoyed by
the wiggling to go faster.

third, if your town needs cameras to bring in money, then move. you live in
a ghetto.

Benjie
15-06-04, 14:40
The law reccognaises that faster travel is safer in some circumstances, hence faster speed limits.

The speed limit is non debatable, and if you break it you will be fined. Rightfully so too.

Scikar
15-06-04, 15:04
The law reccognaises that faster travel is safer in some circumstances, hence faster speed limits.

The speed limit is non debatable, and if you break it you will be fined. Rightfully so too.
We should all be subservient and bow before our all-knowing masters, because only they can decide what the speed limit should be in any situation, and are never wrong, hence should never be questioned, despite the fact that they routinely demonstrate they have no interest in actual road safety and enforcing speed limits where they matter, and instead focus entirely on generating cash?

Be subservient all you want, but I say the speed limit IS debatable. I don't trust councils or the government to be 100% correct and I don't believe why you do. I can even demonstrate that it's not non-debatable, since I can ask my local councillor to bring up the matter at the next council meeting and possibly being about a change in a local speed limit. National speed limit discussions can be brought up through groups such as the AA. I can't believe how someone can be so mindlessly passive about it.

Judge
15-06-04, 15:10
Motorway is one thing, and I have no problem with people going over the speed limit on good days, low traffic or whatever.

However.

If you are speeding in a town or built up area then you are a dick, and shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Alpha-Omega
15-06-04, 15:31
I live in a village that has a busy main road going through the heart of it, right past a primary school ald all the local shops where kids hang about. wWe dont just deal with cars and the odd HGV but bloody quarry trucks too and those things operate on the philosophy of "shift or grow wings and a halo". Not to mention the road snakes through the village and is way too narrow for 2 CARS to pass in places. We've petitioned the council for speed bumps through the village and speed cameras to be placed along with the limit being dropped to 20 mph but they say untilk someone is fender meat they cant (or wont) do anything plus all the residents that live along the roads are regular Nimbys. "i want it but not in my back yard" GRRRR! doesn't help when you get the boy racer contingent coming through at 70mph in a 30 zone.

Oh and one other thing. In the uk, by law all speed traps and cameras, both mobile and stationry must be clearly visible and cannot be hidden in any shape or form. So if a camera van is stashed behind a hedge or barrier they are breaking the law :p.

Genty
15-06-04, 16:19
We've petitioned the council for speed bumps through the village and speed cameras to be placed

Speed Bumps don't work. We got them with a 20Mph limit and the HGV don't even notice them and just storm through, along with a lot of cars that just don't feel the bumps.

Ormy
15-06-04, 17:41
SPEED DOES NOT KILL

BAD DRIVERS KILL

There are situations when doing 90mph+ on open country roads is perfectly safe, and also situations where doing 30mph through a village with school in it is way dangerous. Anybody who doesn't have the common sense to decide a sensible speed themselves shouldn't be driving. Spoon feeding people recommended speed, where to drive, which way up to hold my bottle of water ffs, people are only going to get more dependant and hence more stupid.

Heard two brilliant ideas on the radio today.

1.) Remove air bags, insert large speel spike into car that impales driver upon crash. Modern car safety is telling us "don't worry, drive like an asshole, doesn't matter if you crash, everybody has airbags, nobody will get hurt". The prospect of a nice lump of metal cutting your balls off when you crash will make most people drive a hell of a lot better.

2.) Remove all road markings, junction markings, traffic lights, speed signs, give way signs, etc etc. They actually tried this in a town in the UK, crashes fell by 30-40%. It makes drives actually THINK about what they're fucking doing, instead of acting like human brain-dead auto-pilot.

EDIT: 10 points to the first person who says my opinion doesn't matter because I'm 15 and can't drive. (legally at least).

Benjie
15-06-04, 17:43
10 points to the first person who says my opinion doesn't matter because I'm 15 and can't drive. (legally at least).
Your opinion doesn't matter because your not old enough to vote. :p

(Just another 3 years left...)

Scikar
15-06-04, 17:43
Well, actually they kept the outside lines on the road and took away the inner ones, but yeah it worked. :p

Point 1) is half good, half bad. Make everyone driver better overnight, yes, but some people are still going to be bad drivers and I don't want one of them running into me. :p

ufora
15-06-04, 17:44
aparently (my car cant do this) but in the UK, the speed camera's arent quick enough to catch you if u are going 200+, but that is, if u can find a straight and empty enough road to do it on

Dru Blood
15-06-04, 19:53
most speed cameras in stockport have nice painted red lenses :lol: funny to see coppers clean the paint off only for it to be replaced again on my way home :p

Underground
15-06-04, 19:57
If they fine you for speeding, send them a cheque and make it something stupid like Ģ1 or something more then it is meant to be, thye will cash it, and send you a cheque for Ģ1, DONT CASH THAT CHEQUE :D the case wont get closed untill then, and the points arent put onto your lisence due to that rofl :lol:

seen that happen 5 times and all 5 times they recieved no change to the points on their lisence, it just gets stuck in limbo lol :lol:

OHNOES i posted a exploit..... O_o

Jest
15-06-04, 20:47
Interesting stuff, it seems you guys have a lot of differences between your driving/liscence system and ours.

We don't really have the flash systems in America. Only place that has them is at certain intersections but those are only in large cities as far as I know. Ive never heard of them checking for speed limit.

Are the flashers automatic? Do they flash every one who drives by to check for speed? Are they set up in permanemt positions or are they randomly moved?

Dribble Joy
15-06-04, 20:59
Are the flashers automatic? Do they flash every one who drives by to check for speed? Are they set up in permanemt positions or are they randomly moved?
The cameras themselves are in permenant spots, they scan each car that passes past, if you are going too fast you get flashed.

In most places they place a sign saying cameras in this area, that in itself makes people slow down, the 'threat'/deterant factor.
In others the cameras are not only indicated by a roadsign, but hidden fron view, so you have no idea that you are in a camera zone or if you are breaking the limit, you just get a letter one day. Which doesn't actaully help road saftey at all.

However the British government loathes cars for the very reason that we put up with the exorberant taxes, running costs (cost of running a new car is now higher than having a morgage, given current house prices in britain this is insane) and 'stealth' speeding fines.
Motorists are one of the biggest cash cows however, so the 'arguments' of polution, saftey and whatever else are blow out of all proportion to keep the money flowing.

naimex
15-06-04, 21:09
If they fine you for speeding, send them a cheque and make it something stupid like Ģ1 or something more then it is meant to be, thye will cash it, and send you a cheque for Ģ1, DONT CASH THAT CHEQUE :D the case wont get closed untill then, and the points arent put onto your lisence due to that rofl :lol:

seen that happen 5 times and all 5 times they recieved no change to the points on their lisence, it just gets stuck in limbo lol :lol:

OHNOES i posted a exploit..... O_o

dude.. we donīt use points on license..

we get money fines worth several months income, and in larger scales they take the card on the spot.

t0tt3
15-06-04, 21:54
There is a spray you can buy to put on your reg number, when they flash a camera on it. You will just see a reflectin "bright light" Still if you just look on it with your own eyes you will just see like it should look like with some polish on "a little brighter"

Then you can buy laser stopper "or just take a reflector on a warehouse where they open the doors :p" And put it infront of the car, then you can go REALLY fast. Cops cant take you down because it wont reg, your speed. The only thing they can do is take the equ you have and fine you 2500...
"better then loosing your license :D"

amfest
15-06-04, 22:03
If you drive like this

http://users3.ev1.net/~amfest/lateforwork.wmv

err well .. .

>_<

Ormy
15-06-04, 22:38
When i start driving I'm going to be perfectly safe :angel: . I've been practicing on GTA III for months, I'm really good, :P lol

amfest
15-06-04, 23:32
When i start driving I'm going to be perfectly safe :angel: . I've been practicing on GTA III for months, I'm really good, :P lol
well then i'm sure in a riot situation you'll be an ideal person to ride with :p

jiga
15-06-04, 23:38
It's the governments fault for not having hovercabs. We wouldn't have the problem of accidents or going over the speed limit. RL needs a new patch

ZoomZoom
16-06-04, 00:48
think about it ur lucky in england i cant driver because im only ickle :(