PDA

View Full Version : Official Community Announcement

SnowCrash
14-06-04, 23:43
The development team has reviewed the criticisms and suggestions from the community regarding communication with the developers and has decided to intensify incorporation of wishes, critique, suggestions and also direct involvement of players into the development process via a newly created channel. For this reason we created the position of Official Community Representative, which for the time being will be filled by one long-term player who possesses the necessary game experience, creativity and social competence to fill this demanding position.
The duty of the Official Community Representative is to establish contact with key members of the player community and act as an interface between them and the developers. The key members will be dedicated players who actively attempt to advance and enrich this diverse game, but also involve other players to boost the general game experience.

The Official Community Representative will be in direct contact with the development team and will be able to direct the wishes, criticisms and suggestions of the community to the relevant team members, and at the same time supply the key players with first-hand information to positively affect the game’s progress.

We have selected a long-term player from a multitude of candidates, who we deem fit to perform this challenging task successfully. He is an extremely popular and acknowledged character in the German community, who has distinguished himself by his creativity and dedication. We also think he can win the hearts of the English community just as fast as he did the German community.

Hereby we appoint Ra-Tm-An aka Ra{TM}aN McCruel, to be the Official Community Representative. We are looking forward to working closely with him and hope the community will also welcome his efforts.

To reinforce the role-play aspect, the Official Community Representative will use his player character, which will not receive any GM rights as these are not required for his work. We hope that the community will accept the responsibility of cooperating with his player character in a sensible way to the benefit of everyone.

More info (e.g. how to contact him etc.), will be available during this week.

Tratos
14-06-04, 23:46
Sounds good.

I trust the Official Community Representative speaks and understands English? as i do not think it would be fair to have this position only accesable to one section of the community.

Judge
14-06-04, 23:46
Sweet.

Omnituens
14-06-04, 23:47
Good idea, but wouldn't be better to have 1 per server or language?

SnowCrash
14-06-04, 23:47
Of course he speaks english. ;)

Tratos
14-06-04, 23:49
Good Good :)

But what about Omnituens' suggestion, i think this would be fair so each of the people chosen would not loose alot of there ingame playing time as the work load will be shared, also the playes home server would not gain a biasd judgement and or attention.

Kr3Yc3K
14-06-04, 23:49
Never heard of him... Who exactly is he?

Shadow Dancer
14-06-04, 23:50
Excellent, this is great news.

I just hope you chose the right candidate.

:cool:

MkVenner
14-06-04, 23:51
yeah great, again, i just hope you chose the right guy, i myself have never heard of him (sorry) but my minds open...im sure his a fine guy :p

Omnituens
14-06-04, 23:52
Remember that the beltdrop rules are different on Jupiter

how long before his influence starts trying to get that on saturn/uranus/that other server?

1 per server is needed imo

MkVenner
14-06-04, 23:53
i agree with omni, the mentality on Pluto to saturn and venus are VASTLY differant (sp i know), never played jupi so i wouldnt know...but im guessing its different there

landofcake
14-06-04, 23:54
Excellent ... cant wait to meet him :lol:

Lexxuk
14-06-04, 23:55
Not sure Omni, I'm going to guess he will put forward information on a per server basis, if Jupiter is having X problem, he'll address that, whilst is Saturn is having a different problem, he'd address that, sorta KK's embassador, though naturally he'll have a strong bais towards his own server, but who wouldnt ;)

Tratos
14-06-04, 23:56
Never heard of him... Who exactly is he?
hes watching the thread ;)

Doc Holliday
14-06-04, 23:56
well nice work. i havent heard much of ratman other than some of the fan stuff on the cronicle. still i hope we can work this out together. ie the community supports him as much as is needed. nice work tho snow for posting this as its gonna mean alot of people are happy they get a shot at voicing their ideas opinions etc.

hes watching the thread ;)

/me waves.

garyu69
14-06-04, 23:57
Sounds good i like your thinking.

It would be nicer if there were representitives for each server who would be able to provide feedback to the developers more.

Jest
14-06-04, 23:58
Ratman is a good guy I think he'll do a good job. Hopefully he'll be active in the English community as often as he can.

Crash, is this basically like a glorified NCAT with some one in charge? What sort of changes can we expect from this position? PvP balance, PvM ideas, storyline/events, new items, all of the above?

jiga
Nice to see KK progressing so much. Excelent idea

Moscow
Personally, I've never had a problem with Reakktor's communication (They seem to address any issues that arise within the community fairly quickly), but even so it's good to hear about this sort of thing. :)

Hopefully, it should cull some of the more vindictive complainers.

I do echo the concerns of a couple of other posters though; is there any chance a native English speaker could also be appointed? It would help lighten the load from our German chappy here, as well as making things considerably easier for the playerbase.

Peace.

-Moscow

SnowCrash
We will evalute the need of a second representative depending on the acceptance of the first one and the cooperation by the playerbase.

Doc Holliday
15-06-04, 00:00
1 person per server would be a very good idea. problem comes insofar as people gettin their mates to bug stuff about how they want the game to be. bias. if its a neutral member of the community for a majority of servers then its better in a sense. besides. maybe there arent many they feel they can really trust. speaks volumes for Rat gettin the job. Honestly theres not many monkeys on these boards any more i would put a lot of faith in. thats not unfair to say either.

Omnituens
15-06-04, 00:00
Not sure Omni, I'm going to guess he will put forward information on a per server basis, if Jupiter is having X problem, he'll address that, whilst is Saturn is having a different problem, he'd address that, sorta KK's embassador, though naturally he'll have a strong bais towards his own server, but who wouldnt ;)
He will have to be COMPLETEY impartial to ALL players

Im guessing he doesnt really know this community well (because we have never heard of him) so how can he know what we like and dont like?

Imagine if he listened to some people more than others because they whined more or had the biggest ego in the cosmos. Who would control what then?

You have to draw the line somewhere.

Lexxuk
15-06-04, 00:04
He will have to be COMPLETEY impartial to ALL players

In an ideal world, that would happen, but be honest, there are people you think are complete dicks so couldnt be impartial about :D hehehe

Doc Holliday
15-06-04, 00:06
an american person might not be a bad call either. one in the states one here in europe. caters for the time zones i guess.

Tratos
15-06-04, 00:07
to be honest i think that him being the only man for the job will cause alot of pressure and stress, atleast one of eah language would be very nice, also they could work with one another to balance the ideas shown to them to make them even better ;)

oh btw heads up from Announcement Forum *cough* (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=101227)

Lexxuk
15-06-04, 00:07
an american person might not be a bad call either. one in the states one here in europe. caters for the time zones i guess.

Or an Australian with Insomnia ;)

Omnituens
15-06-04, 00:10
In an ideal world, that would happen, but be honest, there are people you think are complete dicks so couldnt be impartial about :D hehehe
When did i say i could be completely impartial?

I know i cant be, because I do dislike certain members of the english community. the more intelligent of you might know who.

As far as i can see, this guy is acting as a relay point for ideas and suggestions... but dont we already have these sort of things on these very forums? if KK actually read what was pposted here, and in the brainport, and modifications etc. this role would be made redunded.

Xaru
15-06-04, 00:11
Great Move KK :) Hope Ratman wont get flooded with PMs. I look forward to working with him.

Regards
Xaru

RaTMaN McCruel
15-06-04, 00:13
First of all I thank you for the confidence i got in the past and i hope i can fulfill most of your expectations.

It is important for me to say that all i have done to get that job was playing this game and having my fun with it but i know there are many others out there working realy hard to to play this games with others with the same kind of fun. And i hope they will support me as well as they support their chummers.

I play this game now for "years" and its fun like the first days. Their where ups and downs, but one thing still remains after years: My friends i found in here.
I am just one of you, i am not a living "Bug-Tracker" and do not decide wether a idea in the brainport is good or bad or should be implemented.
Call me citizen of neocron, i live here an hope to help you to settle down here.

We will see where this way goes...

EDIT: As you can imagine many people have many many questions for me in theses hours...be patient

Lexxuk
15-06-04, 00:15
[ edited ]

Maloch Octavia
15-06-04, 00:18
I fully agree with Snowcrash on the One rep for the time being.
Any more than one, it becomes a struggle to supervise and control, as is with the Faction Councellors.

Although can we clarify something please?

Is this position purely for dealing with server to server issues, or dealing with player suggestions and ideas, more Brainport orienated?

Nidhogg
15-06-04, 00:19
Keep to the topic, please.

N

Lexxuk
15-06-04, 00:20
Keep to the topic, please.

N

care to point out where my "he will be a liason listening to people in game" is classed as spam and off topic?

G.0.D.
15-06-04, 00:24
Very good idea, but along with many here I think it would work best if we had an english community rep aswell. I have read the german forums and find we bitch about totaly differant things :rolleyes:

I wish him the best of luck, this should be interesting!

RaTMaN McCruel
15-06-04, 00:28
I am playing most time on jupiter, but played "some" time on pluto and saturn, but have a char on all servers with the name Ra-TM-aN.

i think it realy doesnt matter "where" i am playing because its the FCs job to "feel" the differences. I am just playing this game like everyone of you and sometimes i think..."hmm...now it would be nice to find an open ear for this problem @KK"

my main focus for the first time is to "understand" a little more how to feel the story ingame because i think many of you read the neocronicle, read the nema or the votr but if they are ingame they cant find those places or just think...story is one thing but ingame life is too different to what i've read...

greendonkeyuk
15-06-04, 00:31
well ive played jupiter a little bit and yeah ive heard this guys name pop up a few times, first off then id like to say welcome to the english section of the boards mate.

Regards to supposed biases etc, well guys time will tell. Personally im quite glad that KK have actually appointed a person to do this, i myself along with countless others have suggested it in the past and for it to finally happen i think is jus great. Lets not kill this off before it starts eh? As for 2 officials yeah valid points for having two for sure, i know a few people are prolly clambering for those positions too, but give the idea a chance first to start shall we. We can campaign for parashock removal, stealth nerfs and all that other jazz thats been kicking around the boards for the last few months/years later, at least for now lets jus say hi to the guy and let him do the job hes been asked to do.

If he fucks up then we can kos him after. J/k

Dribble Joy
15-06-04, 00:35
I really want to say I like this..... but in all honesty I don't.

Some more info is needed before I fully support (the idea, this has nothing to do with the candidate in question) this.

Is the representitive simply bringing info and requests to the devs?
How is he doing this?
Is he simply saying 'The community wants XXXX'?
Putting forward data from polls?

I am not bringing the particular person into question, but what is to stop them from bringing their own ideas and agenda forward to the developers? From bending the wishes of the community.

Why was he selected from the community by the dev team and not (though it would probably be a bad thing) the community itself?
What is to say he actually represents the community at all?

Again, nothing against the one who has been chosen himself (I have no idea who you are, no offence), but this seems so.. iffy, so open to abuse.

RaTMaN McCruel
15-06-04, 00:54
Is the representitive simply bringing info and requests to the devs?
How is he doing this?
Is he simply saying 'The community wants XXXX'?
Putting forward data from polls?

i think there are many ways to catch some ideas. I think playing the game and talking with others is the best way and remember what i said, i am not deciding wether an idea in the brainport is good or bad. But as you can imagine KK puts a lot of work in this game and they have a different way to "see" this game and some time you have to be just a little runner to notice some real problems...

I am not bringing the particular person into question, but what is to stop them from bringing their own ideas and agenda forward to the developers? From bending the wishes of the community.

year make me godlike and destroy my fun playing this game...doh
but indeed your are right and now you find the answer why it was hard work finding someone KK trusts...and wha i took such a long time finding someone...

Why was he selected from the community by the dev team and not (though it would probably be a bad thing) the community itself?
What is to say he actually represents the community at all?

take a look above, votin means community trust this guy, but for some reason KK have to trust him as well, but i can imagine that in futur there will be another english comunity guy to do this job...we will see...

RaTMaN McCruel
15-06-04, 01:04
Again, nothing against the one who has been chosen himself (I have no idea who you are, no offence), but this seems so.. iffy, so open to abuse.

i am playing this game long time, i did some neocronicle/nema/votr news...its on you to find out all my aliases. i did the job of an fc when noone was around to do this job, but decided beeing a "normal" runner would help my faction a lot more.
i am helping out on the testserver if some of testing gms need a "target" :)
i am counsil chairman for my faction since the counsil was introduced
i am in close contact with some of our FCs and KKs

and there are some other things i do, some of them i forgot and some of them i am not allowed to talk about...yet

phunqe
15-06-04, 01:05
I am too tired for questions or anything, so I'll just say this is really a step in the right direction.

I hope this can lead to a fruitful and satisfying co-operation.

Thank you.

Dribble Joy
15-06-04, 01:14
If I am sounding like an arsehole to you then my appologies.
I care alot about the game (particuarly inter class/sub-class balance), and I don't want too much power going to 'the wrong' person for 'the wrong' reasons.
Can I presume you will (in the same way the FCAs are intermideries between the players and the FC) be more of a messenger?

How will you be contacting the player base itself by the way? Via the forums primarily?

Btw, do you still have/be getting acess to the table?

If this sound like an interrogation, then.. good :D.

RaTMaN McCruel
15-06-04, 01:29
If I am sounding like an arsehole to you then my appologies.

no you dont and i dont want to treat you like one ... :rolleyes:

I care alot about the game (particuarly inter class/sub-class balance), and I don't want too much power going to 'the wrong' person for 'the wrong' reasons.

Me too...and therefore it was said that i got NO GM rights and yes i do pay my accs by myself :p

Can I presume you will (in the same way the FCAs are intermideries between the players and the FC) be more of a messenger?

Yes, i understand my role like an messanger, some runners never saw theis FC, never met an GM or never organized an event or never wrote an article for neocronicle/nema/vote

How will you be contacting the player base itself by the way? Via the forums primarily?

hmm good one...i think "keepin it ingame" is a good idea, but to contact more player the forums would be better, but i can imagine nema/neocronicle/votr is another way...take a look in the first nema ...had my own section in the past...and perhabs in future somewhere...but believe me i dont work for reza *spits on the floor* :angel:

Btw, do you still have/be getting acess to the table?

yes, and to some other places but if i tell you i have to kill you and i dont want to loose an faithful member of the neocron comunity like you in these early hours ;)

RaTMaN McCruel
15-06-04, 01:33

just school english...and school is some years behind, but i think its good enough to make things clear and if i make some mistakes send em to me or an english mod, if you send in 100 of em you get one FREE PM from me :D

-FN-
15-06-04, 01:46
Interesting...

*sits back*

Psychoninja
15-06-04, 01:48
FINALY KK adds the missing link between the community and the devs.
Things can only go up from here.
:)

Ozambabbaz
15-06-04, 02:04
welcome to teh official level, ratman :) hope it brings u as much fun as the years past

Benjie
15-06-04, 02:10
RaTMaN.

Snowcrash said you are somebody with game development XP.
Perhaps you can tell the community a little more about yourself, what development you've done in the past etc.

Your English is great by the way, so no worries there.

ghandisfury
15-06-04, 02:24
What can I say. With this last patch being one of the best (baring the melee boost) DoY on it's way, and constant updates from KK....it seems you guys have finally listened to all of the people on these forums. Good work.

MegaCorp
15-06-04, 02:52
So KK is opening a new channel for information flow between the players and the Devs. That's great! I won't ask such questions as why you were chosen, or how you will maintain impartiality and be effective with regard to your responsibilities ... i will merely look to you to dive in and start doing what needs to be done. As with anyone else in every other situation in life, your performance will be the measure of your worth. Best wishes to you.

Spook @ Pluto

slaughteruall
15-06-04, 03:54
Interesting...

*sits back*

Very... Still not sure what i think of this. But it is something that was needed to be tried for a long time.

Yes please let us know more about you. Most of us don't like to giving someone full support that we just met. Well at least i dont. Still curious about your ways to get those idea's from us.

One side note nothing against you ra-tm-an. But why was a german person choose? Does alot of the KK staff not speak english? I dont want to sound racist or anything like that. Just curious is all. I've noticed alot of spelling mistakes over the past year and some change. Just curious.

Slaughter

Omnituens
15-06-04, 04:23
Very... Still not sure what i think of this. But it is something that was needed to be tried for a long time.

Yes please let us know more about you. Most of us don't like to giving someone full support that we just met. Well at least i dont. Still curious about your ways to get those idea's from us.

One side note nothing against you ra-tm-an. But why was a german person choose? Does alot of the KK staff not speak english? I dont want to sound racist or anything like that. Just curious is all. I've noticed alot of spelling mistakes over the past year and some change. Just curious.

Slaughter
Are you spelling bad to make him look better? because atm his spelling + grammar > yours

Language shouldn't be a problem, he can always ask us to explain something in a more basic way if needed, seems to type good enough English.

40$Poser
15-06-04, 05:54
What can I say. With this last patch being one of the best (baring the melee boost) DoY on it's way, and constant updates from KK....it seems you guys have finally listened to all of the people on these forums. Good work.

what about removing para? that's not been done yet :p

anywho, I think it's great there's a spokesperson. Though we will have to wait and see if it pans out and works as intended.

SnowCrash
15-06-04, 07:37
RaTMaN.

Snowcrash said you are somebody with game development XP.
Perhaps you can tell the community a little more about yourself, what development you've done in the past etc.

Your English is great by the way, so no worries there.

I wrote that he has a long time Neocron game experience, not game development experience. ;)

I see that some are seem to misunderstand the purpose of the representant. He is not running bugtracker or brainport for game mechanics or features. His task is to contact and support these players in the game that are spending much energy and time on improving the gamefun for others with intense roleplay, events or by just beeing a accepted person of respect within the playerbase. We often experience players who are really engaged and creative but are not taken serious by the players and exactly this is something Ratman should support and improve.

FireWarrior
15-06-04, 11:24
I think it's a great idea, the SWG devs had a similar project with a single person serving as the link between players and devs (one for each proffession). Mainly for balance and bug changes though.

Good luck to you RaTMaN, now get posting here so we can all get to know you ;)

Judge
15-06-04, 11:45
We often experience players who are really engaged and creative but are not taken serious by the players and exactly this is something Ratman should support and improve.

I know that feeling well. :(

Trying to organise a hostage event when all your faction wants to do is kill the hostage is not fun.

MkVenner
15-06-04, 11:58
too fuckin true

phunqe
15-06-04, 12:23
His task is to contact and support these players in the game that are spending much energy and time on improving the gamefun for others with intense roleplay, events or by just beeing a accepted person of respect within the playerbase. We often experience players who are really engaged and creative but are not taken serious by the players and exactly this is something Ratman should support and improve.

Can I get an AMEN.

*Gospel choir*

slaughteruall
15-06-04, 12:38
Are you spelling bad to make him look better? because atm his spelling + grammar > yours

Language shouldn't be a problem, he can always ask us to explain something in a more basic way if needed, seems to type good enough English.

No i was just tired after a long days work. And i dont like to spend alot of time on grammer. I just type shit as i think about it. Almost always out of order but oh well.

(had to reread what i wrote since i didn't remember)
I was not referring to his english but the rest of KK's. I did notice that his english was good for a second language. But we have all noticed the spelling mistakes in the past. There easy to overlook. I was just curious.

His task is to contact and support these players in the game that are spending much energy and time on improving the gamefun for others with intense roleplay, events or by just beeing a accepted person of respect within the playerbase. We often experience players who are really engaged and creative but are not taken serious by the players and exactly this is something Ratman should support and improve

So i take it he wont show up on saturn since even KK doesn't do events there.

Slaughter

]v[ortice
15-06-04, 13:33
I'm not opposed to this idea as it's something I have campaigned for in the past myself.

I would bring into question as to why some things are going to be kept "ingame".

The vast majority of the innovation and creativity shown by the customer's are represented here on these very forums. Which brings me to summise that most of the discussion and contact should be open and frank here on the boards.

My original Idea was to form a Community Liaison group between KK and the player base. I can't be bothered to look up my thread but a vast majority of the english community was in favour of this Idea.

I have since not pursued this any further as I have noticed personally, and I'm sure many of you have too, that since around that time KK have been very open and have increased their communication with the community a great deal. I'm not suggesting any of this was down to me at all, but when I first posted that thread I felt like I was in the dark over a lot of issues and that a lot of information directed at KK was falling on deaf ears.

Recently I've noticed announcements and implementation of players Ideas and suggestions increase to a new level. TBH, the last few patches have really raised morale on these boards (and in-game) in my opinion and I feel it's down to how much KK has listened to us of late.

That's why I didn't think my idea was worth following up.

However (apologies to ratman, this thread is not about or directed at you), If KK wants to go the extra mile and create this customer/developer liaison point, I would urge them to form a group of experienced runners from each community/server/language to meet and discuss issues formally. Ratman is gonna be absolutely battered with all of this and I will be surprised if he has any time left to do some gaming once this is all up and running.

This post has stemmed from Dribble Joy's concerns and I have to agree that one person cannot be the deciding factor as to whether certain ideas/suggestions/concerns etc will be pushed up to the next level or acted upon in-game.

My personal opinion is that a group of 6-10 runners across servers and languages be given this remit and that they then form a pre-liminary discussion before handing their conclusions to KK for them to further discuss and have the final say.

Bringing the Playerbase and KK Closer Together (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?t=97153) <--- some of that discussion may be valid here (I could be bothered to find it after all :) )

RaTMaN McCruel
15-06-04, 13:58
So i take it he wont show up on saturn since even KK doesn't do events there.

It is hard to organize events on saturn if you got shot down by own faction
members or faction friends... :rolleyes: ok you can say different servers
different politics...my answer on this is...different server SAME story...think
about it

and first step to get more "story based events" should playing a bit
more "storybased".
We (those keyplayers/counsil members) out there have to find a way "normal"
runners can identify a bit more with there faction an listen to those who
know the story and just shot on those targets the story-based-politics wants
them to shoot at :-)

I cant play on every server at every time a i think this isnt my job, my job is
to support those keyplayers on each server

eg.
you are the counsil chairman of DRE and your faction gets in to trouble with
CS and you need to know what the future will bring to give your OK to smash
some crazycrahns ok to organize some roundtable talks to cool down this
conflict.

Just drop me a note and i try to get those need infos for you...but pls dont
ask when Pro-DoY-Faction have to take there stuff and walk trough the
desert heading north...

RayBob
15-06-04, 14:01
I am pleased to read that KK wishes to improve the communication with the community and even more so that they will be intensifying incorporation of the many excellent player suggestions. However, if I may so bold as to suggest an alternative channel.

Rather than assign this considerable responsibility to a single person, I reiterate a suggestion I made a long time ago…a new forum channel, rigorously moderated. Actually, the proper channel for this dialog already exists: Brainport. Unfortunately, lack of developer participation in that channel leads people to believe it goes unread and is why most people continue to use the Community Talk channel.

Naturally, the developers do not have time to read all of the posts in the general Community Talk channel. Quite often, excellent suggestions are pushed off the first page without sufficient discussion or consideration. There are entirely too many off-topic and trivial posts for anyone to expect KK to sift through them to pluck out the gems.

I am confident that if the developers began joining the discussions in Brainport, that section of the forums would accomplish the stated goal of enhanced communication with the community. Furthermore, a more formal procedure could be established in that section. One where a suggestion is presented, argued for and against for a set amount of time, and then a poll is taken.

slaughteruall
15-06-04, 14:09
It is hard to organize events on saturn if you got shot down by own faction
members or faction friends... :rolleyes: ok you can say different servers
different politics...my answer on this is...different server SAME story...think
about it

and first step to get more "story based events" should playing a bit
more "storybased".
We (those keyplayers/counsil members) out there have to find a way "normal"
runners can identify a bit more with there faction an listen to those who
know the story and just shot on those targets the story-based-politics wants
them to shoot at :-)

I cant play on every server at every time a i think this isnt my job, my job is
to support those keyplayers on each server

What is was trying to say was some faction counselor's dont even come on saturn. You bring it up to KK and they say "oh well". Either they never come on or they either dont recieve my ingame mail or just dont respond to it. Dont even read there PM's here on the boards. Have not seen the TT FC on saturn for a very long time (at least 8 months now) and KK does nothing about it. But i dont even care anymore about it. I have left TT for a more active faction.

Slaughter

Judge
15-06-04, 14:59
Hmmm... I may have to type up a few ideas for small events, then PM them to you RaTMaN. Maybe get some events going on Saturn.

Scikar
15-06-04, 14:59
I agree with Mortice. These forums are far better for conveying ideas etc. than in-game. We can have discussions across timezones, across servers, which go on for extended periods spanning several weeks or even months, we can attach screenshots to demonstrate situations, and they aren't dependant on a specific person being online at any given time.

RP discussions, such as events, new items, that kind of thing, can work fine in game. But discussing PvP balance, OP wars etc. really does need to be done on the forums. I believe there should be a locked forum where Ratman, the key players, and the devs can discuss PvP changes, test server patches, OP war improvements, and so on, while RP based discussions are kept to in-game meetings.

Celt
15-06-04, 15:03
I talked to callash on ICQ a good 6 months back about creating a liason group between devs and players.

Basically, it was 2 KK employees, 1 person from pluto, 1 from uranus, 2 from saturn and 2 from jupiter.

Players applied to join it, and every 2 months a group of players were selected, and the emphasis should be on having a good mix of pvp'ers, pvm'ers, roleplayers and just general players.

Weekly(or every two weeks) meeting on IRC, format would be devs make any announcements, then the players put forward questions/comments.

El_MUERkO
15-06-04, 15:11
Never ever ever ever ever ever heard of the bloke or seen a single thread or post by him ever so looks like the germans are sorted how about the rest of us?

cRazy2003
15-06-04, 15:16
sounds good, but i very much think that an english representitive and a german one would of been better.

Dribble Joy
15-06-04, 15:23
I agree with Mortice. These forums are far better for conveying ideas etc. than in-game......................discussing PvP balance, OP wars etc. really does need to be done on the forums. I believe there should be a locked forum where Ratman, the key players, and the devs can discuss PvP changes, test server patches, OP war improvements, and so on, while RP based discussions are kept to in-game meetings.
The idea that the community would contacted ingame was another thing that concered me, the closed forum would be a good way for a small group maybe a dozen to discuss things with the devs, with contact with the community in the noraml forums.

Promethius
15-06-04, 17:01
When did i say i could be completely impartial?

I know i cant be, because I do dislike certain members of the english community. the more intelligent of you might know who.

As far as i can see, this guy is acting as a relay point for ideas and suggestions... but dont we already have these sort of things on these very forums? if KK actually read what was pposted here, and in the brainport, and modifications etc. this role would be made redunded.

Well said. Even if its 2 or 3 representatves they are going to be flooded with DM's, PM's, emails, about all the same stuff thats going to be on the forums. Also there will be a WIDE range of idea that will be brought to Ratman and most likely at the same time. I can understand if he focus's on one 'idea' at a time and ignores the rest, then maybe he can make some progess. Although I am glad to see KK trying to excel the game I have little faith in this way of doing it. (No offense to anyone intended)

I talked to callash on ICQ a good 6 months back about creating a liason group between devs and players.

Basically, it was 2 KK employees, 1 person from pluto, 1 from uranus, 2 from saturn and 2 from jupiter.

Players applied to join it, and every 2 months a group of players were selected, and the emphasis should be on having a good mix of pvp'ers, pvm'ers, roleplayers and just general players.

Weekly(or every two weeks) meeting on IRC, format would be devs make any announcements, then the players put forward questions/comments.

What IRC channel ? #neocron / #cronhelp ? Or something completely diff?

-Prom

phunqe
15-06-04, 18:11
hmm good one...i think "keepin it ingame" is a good idea, but to contact more player the forums would be better, but i can imagine nema/neocronicle/votr is another way...take a look in the first nema ...had my own section in the past...and perhabs in future somewhere...but believe me i dont work for reza *spits on the floor*

Am I overreacting here or should we CA's be worried about our ideas?
As far as I see it role playing doesn't have a place here.

Sorry if I misinterpreted something :)

Celt
15-06-04, 18:21
What IRC channel ? #neocron / #cronhelp ? Or something completely diff?

-PromThe representatives would be public, anyone who had an issue/question would send it to a rep from their server, the meeting would be held in a private irc channel and the logs published after.

RaTMaN McCruel
15-06-04, 18:39
Am I overreacting here or should we CA's be worried about our ideas?
As far as I see it role playing doesn't have a place here.

Sorry if I misinterpreted something :)

ok its my fault, because you know me less than german players and therefore
i will explain some things.

I am member of the brotherhood for long time, never changed my faction
never left my brothers or changed my class ... but Ra-TM-aN isnt my only
char...

i am aware that some may think i handle some factions different from others
but let my say it like this: I am playing this game with everybody, but my
Char is a pure and devote member of "the 'hood".

i love to be the crazycrahn and some tims its hard to now if its rp or ooc
what i am talking about... but you can be sure that i think that all players
behind their chars are equal...it doenst matter where they are from, how old
hea are, which language they speak or anything else...there are just 2 kinds
of problems, problems involving the "players" and problems involving "their
chars"

slaughteruall
15-06-04, 19:11
there are just 2 kinds
chars"

You forgot one. Problems involving shit servers that lag all the time.

Slaughter

RaTMaN McCruel
15-06-04, 19:18

Slaughter

it is the technical right of every server to lag around if he wants to... :rolleyes: but if someone is playing on it he is not allowed to lag until the player get a fatal o_O

This kind of Proplem ist sorted into the category "player & chars" involving problem...

SnowCrash
15-06-04, 19:22

Slaughter

Slaughter, that is not his job. Read the announcement again please. I think you don't have understood what the tasks of the Community Representative are. I also have noticed that the only input from you so far is bitching about this project, so either you take part in a productive way or you will have to leave this discussion.

slaughteruall
15-06-04, 19:32
Slaughter. That is not his job. Read the announcement again please, I think you don't have understood what the tasks of the Community Representative are. I also have noticed that the only input from you so far is bitching about this project, so either you take part in a productive way or you will have to leave this discussion.

i never said it was his job. Just mentioning that he missed one point that the community cares alot about. Community concerns is part of his like you stated.

And i have pointed out concernd that affect the community. I have asked questions.

Slaughter

Edit: Here a concern that effects most of us click (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?t=101269&page=1&pp=15)

SnowCrash
15-06-04, 19:40
The lag issue is definately something that needs to be adressed but it has nothing to do with the current topic. We have our responsible persons for technical issues which are always trying to improve the technical state of the game.

Please don't get me wrong but if players are abusing the representative for personal bitching or steam venting we will intervene with respective consequences for these players.

slaughteruall
15-06-04, 19:44
The lag issue is definately something that needs to be adressed but it has nothing to do with the current topic. We have our responsible persons for technical issues which are always trying to improve the technical state of the game.

Please don't get me wrong but if players are abusing the representative for personal bitching or steam venting we will intervene with respective consequences for these players.

Who was bitching? I was merely stating some concern's that the public has.

Also as far as i know this is the first statement that says you have people working on them. We always here it must be the route you take to the servers.

Slaughter

zii
15-06-04, 20:25
I do echo the concerns of a couple of other posters though; is there any chance a native English speaker could also be appointed?

-Moscow

i) So long as he speaks English to a near native level then I see no problem.
ii) What a fantastic name: Ra-Tm-An aka Ra{TM}aN McCruel
ii) This a great idea, however, like Moscow I've had no real issue with Reaktor's communication recently.

Celt
15-06-04, 20:28
i) So long as he speaks English to a near native level then I see no problem.
No offence to ratman but his english is nowhere near native level.

SnowCrash
15-06-04, 20:29
No offence to ratman but his english is nowhere near native level.

I have no concerns that you'll help him out if it's needed, eh? :D

jernau
15-06-04, 20:52
This all sounds good to me.

I think more people need to see it as a starting point than as the final word. I assume from Snow and Ra-tm-an's posts that they will be assessing this role and making changes if needed.

On that basis it makes sense to pick an English-speaking German as a) he can talk to KK more comfortably than a non-native and b) as he has shown he and many other German's speak excellent English while relatively few non-Germans speak great German.

I look forward to hearing more about this initiative in the coming weeks and wish Ra-tm-an the best of luck with it all.

Divide
15-06-04, 22:25
Yes ratman, good luck-- I hope to see this project go somewhere and not fall off the deep end after a short period of time. God Speed ratman, you have a lot of work ahead of you.

{MD}GeistDamnit
16-06-04, 05:10
I am playing most time on jupiter, but played "some" time on pluto and saturn, but have a char on all servers with the name Ra-TM-aN.

i think it realy doesnt matter "where" i am playing because its the FCs job to "feel" the differences. I am just playing this game like everyone of you and sometimes i think..."hmm...now it would be nice to find an open ear for this problem @KK"

my main focus for the first time is to "understand" a little more how to feel the story ingame because i think many of you read the neocronicle, read the nema or the votr but if they are ingame they cant find those places or just think...story is one thing but ingame life is too different to what i've read...

aside from the little connections between the epic storys, I have yet to get involved in any story in game. NEMA is ok I have read it a bit now and again but until DoY and the full support of kk's staff for events and story advancement, who knows? So I agree with you 100% story and game is totally different. Hell I like you allready, I think you will do a great job ;)

On a side note if KK decides to get another person to help I sure hope they pick me, I got nothin but time :( and 6 years game dev experience :D

Epsilon 5
16-06-04, 05:42
While i appreciate KK's current initiative, I believe an increase in developper interaction in the brainport section would do even better ... I am one of those people who think the brainport is like a toilet you flush everytime you click "add new topic". I don't feel the contents are reaching KK's ears (or eyes).

]v[ortice
16-06-04, 09:04
@Epsilon 5

That is a load of rubbish mate.

Absolute load of tosh. About 2 months ago I posted up a Brainport suggestion for more harder and challenging caves as CRP was inadequate to fill everyone's levelling needs. A lot of previous suggestions from other runners had also been made in the same vein. Lots had asked for the difficulty to be increased or to make the rewards better.

Now we have the fantastic tunnels.

That's just one instance.

If you look back at recent patch notes, absolutely loads of stuff has been implemented either through community suggestion or in response to community concern.

You really can't fault KK of late. I for one am a very satisfied customer. For the first time since Beta I feel that KK are creating a public image for themselves and becoming more interested in our opinions of their product.

The brainport has been a graveyard in the past in my opinion, but I am happy to say that that is no longer the case.

jernau
16-06-04, 09:18
I don't think the tunnels were made up that quick Mortice ;).

There are things that have been taken on from the brainport but there are far more that are ignored and often no indication or feedback is given as to which ideas KK like and would appreciate more help with or input on.

I do agree that KK definitely seem to be trying to improve their public relations at last and for that I'm very grateful.

]v[ortice
16-06-04, 10:47
I don't think the tunnels were made up that quick Mortice

Yeah I realise they weren't.

But the community were communicating the need for something fresh like this to be put in long before my thread.

I wouldn't be surprised if the tunnels were originally planned for release as part of DoY and as such have been put in earlier to quench the community's thirst for more.

On a side note.

The improved AI from the Mobs down there is simple yet challenging also. I really like it. Some of the pack mobs like the firemobs have started to work in unison again and are really starting to give you some spectacular PvM battles.

These really are exciting times and I don't think the Brainport is overlooked anymore.

It's been more apparent since we started using the Comm Talk Boards to get the concensus of opinion on ideas before the threads are moved over.

Look at the new recipes for the armour and eyes and stuff that have been put in of late. That stuff came from the Brainport you know. The GR at the Racetrack was a brainport suggestion initially also.

Kinda makes you feel like getting creative doesn't it :)

phunqe
16-06-04, 12:08
ok its my fault, because you know me less than german players and therefore
i will explain some things.

I am member of the brotherhood for long time, never changed my faction
never left my brothers or changed my class ... but Ra-TM-aN isnt my only
char...

i am aware that some may think i handle some factions different from others
but let my say it like this: I am playing this game with everybody, but my
Char is a pure and devote member of "the 'hood".

i love to be the crazycrahn and some tims its hard to now if its rp or ooc
what i am talking about... but you can be sure that i think that all players
behind their chars are equal...it doenst matter where they are from, how old
hea are, which language they speak or anything else...there are just 2 kinds
chars"

Thank you for the clarification :)

I know exactly what you mean. I've been CA since the start of beta 4 and it's easy to get carried away :p ;)

Ormy
18-06-04, 23:14
This is either going to be a great success and make the game a better place, or be total waste of time and a failure, only time will tell. One thing is certain, though, either way, I think ratman may be underestimating the amount of attention/nagging/whining he's going to get from some of the community, and how time consuming his new role is going to be. I really think this is just too much work for one person to do effectively.

I haven't set foot ingame for 6 months, and even I have noticed KK improving vastly in their communication with us of late, and I only hope this is another great step in that direction.

Good luck ratman, your gonna need it mate :cool: