PDA

View Full Version : [Movies] Any jay and silent bob fans here?

hinch
14-06-04, 14:17
ok so we all know kevin smith is god

but whats your favourite movie J&SB have been in and whats your fav'e quote from that film.

mine is

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

"that coming from the guys who pretends to be shaft as opposed to the one that takes shaft"
"i dont hear you complaining every night"

Jesterthegreat
14-06-04, 14:23
jay and silent bob strike back is the worst one :p

Mallrats or Clerks are best... but they are totally different types of humor (to each other)

:D

ps long time no see hinch :)

ex-machina
14-06-04, 14:24
Dogma

"Jay: Get offa me. I wanna see what's up. What the fuck is this shit? Who the fuck are you, lady? Why the fuck did you hug my head?
Metatron: Quite a little mouth on him, isn't there?
Jay: What the fuck is this, The Piano? Why ain't this broad talking?
Metatron: I believe the answers that you seek lie within my companion's eyes.
Jay: What the fuck does that mean? Has everyone gone fuckin' nuts? What the fuck happened to that guy's head? I want some...
[God kisses him on the cheek. Jay faints]

steweygrrr
14-06-04, 14:25
Dogma

"Jay: Get offa me. I wanna see what's up. What the fuck is this shit? Who the fuck are you, lady? Why the fuck did you hug my head?
Jay: What the fuck does that mean? Has everyone gone fuckin' nuts? What the fuck happened to that guy's head? I want some...

Damn straight!

Silent bob throws fallen angels from the train...... "No Tickets". Sits down.

Jesterthegreat
14-06-04, 14:26
Dogma

Dogma is good... but i think Mallrats is best (or Clerks... depending on mood. but usually Mallrats :))

ex-machina
14-06-04, 14:31
Mallrats is my least favourite

1) Dogma
2) Chasing Amy
3) Clerks
4) JASBSB
5) Mallrats

Looking forward to Jersey Girl. I love when filmmakers experiment out of their territory.

Jesterthegreat
14-06-04, 14:34
Mallrats is my least favourite

wtf? O_o

Tenacious D are going to make a series of films like the Kevin Smith films... i wonder how well they will turn out

Archeus
14-06-04, 14:37
Mallrats is my favorite. too many quotes to pick but if you haven't seen the movie...

Brandi Svenning: Suitor Number Three, is your kiss like a soft breeze, a firm handshake, or a jackhammer?

Gil Hicks: Definitely a jackhammer. I'm in there with some pressure, and when I'm done you're not the same as before. You're changed.

Brodie Bruce: Where do you come up with this shit? That is the cheesiest response to an honest question I've ever heard! I saw you kiss and it wasn't even anything like that!

Gil Hicks: Who the hell did you see me kiss?

Brodie Bruce: Some dude backstage. I don't know who he was, but he seemed unimpressed.

Gil Hicks: I didn't kiss any guy backstage. I swear! I'm not gay.

Brodie Bruce: Hey, suitor-ette, this guy's a homophobe! You heard how repulsed he sounded! Is this the kind of guy you wanna spend a vacation with, this hate-monger?

Gil Hicks: I don't hate gay people!

Brodie Bruce: So you love them?

Gil Hicks: Yes! I mean, no.

Brodie Bruce: Textbook closet case. Self-loather. Can't be comfortable with his own sexuality.

Samhain
14-06-04, 14:44
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was the worst. They are awesome supporting characters. In main roles, they get irritating.

Clerks has to be my favourite.

i wonder how well they will turn out

Probably as well as all the inspired-by-Tarantino films.

Jack Black can't exactly... er... act. At all.

Jesterthegreat
14-06-04, 14:49
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was the worst. They are awesome supporting characters. In main roles, they get irritating.

Clerks has to be my favourite.

Probably as well as all the inspired-by-Tarantino films.

Jack Black can't exactly... er... act. At all.

inspired by tarantino?

hell... recent tarantino films! kill bill 1 and 2 were shit... lets be honest, no comparison between them and res dogs / pulp fiction...

that doesnt mean Tenacious D films will be bad :)

tbh i haven't seen Jack Black act much... but i thought he was good in High Fidelity :D

:edit: and i agree... Jay and Silent Bob were great supporting characters... but they were shit as main characters :) thats just not who they are

Freya
14-06-04, 14:54
Dogma

but enjoy all there flicks really

hinch
14-06-04, 14:54
i think they do main's superb

ok so the humor in that lvls is slightly beyond so many people but its just like watching me and the lads on a friday night out.

think im

strikes back
mallrats
chasing amy
clerks
dogma

"its times like this i wish i still dated a lesbian"

Jesterthegreat
14-06-04, 14:57
i think they do main's superb

ok so the humor in that lvls is slightly beyond so many people but its just like watching me and the lads on a friday night out.

think im

strikes back
mallrats
chasing amy
clerks
dogma

"its times like this i wish i still dated a lesbian"

J&SBSB is just a combinatiuon of all the jokes from other films re-used o_O

Clerks is great... in its dark humor kinda way

Mallrats is just great

Dogma is very very good... but not a film you can watch again and again IMO

Chasing Amy is the only one i havent seen... but i have been told that its worse than Clerks, Dogma and Mallrats

Samhain
14-06-04, 15:00
inspired by tarantino?

You are aware of the 2^infinity number of films attempting to be pulp/res ripoffs by incorporating over the top amounts of senseless violence in an overstylized manner with awesome dialogue, are you not? Apparently not...

kill bill 1 and 2 were shit... lets be honest,

How about let's BE honest and admit that's easily your opinion. Kill Bill Vol. 1 is what I consider to be one of the greatest films ever created. If you fail to understand the many "bad" parts of the film are beyond intentional... that's one thing. If you didn't like the film, fair enough - but what you can't deny, since we're running on honesty, is that WITH reservoir dogs and pulp fiction, tarantino established that he is clearly completely in control of his films and knows EXACTLY what he wants. I have no doubts that Kill Bill is exactly as he wished it to be... and he wasn't out to make a movie that was sure to impress you and get you to buy it. He doesn't need to at this stage. Had he made Kill Bill at the start of his career, when he conceived it, then I would say it would be fair to look at it and say that it was a bad film and that he didn't know what he's doing. But he clearly does. And by "bad film" I mean one that fails to properly communicate the intentions of the director... not one that you enjoyed. I like a lot of "bad" movies (Bubba Ho-tep? anything involving zombies?) But I also do not like a lot of 'good' (well made) movies.

no comparison between them and res dogs / pulp fiction...

I would hope you wouldn't compare them, since they're not even of the same genre or whatever. Kill Bill was of an entirely different caliber and had entirely different goals.

that doesnt mean Tenacious D films will be bad

I never said they would be bad. I never said the Pulp Fiction wannabe films were BAD. They're just brutally cliche and they're always worse in the shadows of the films they try to copy.

tbh i haven't seen Jack Black act much... but i thought he was good in High Fidelity

That's just it. He doesn't act much - he just plays the same character in all his movies. That doesn't mean he isn't funny or whatever. High Fidelity is a good movie but that's because of a lot more factors than Jack Black making a hilarious performance in it... but when you look at every other movie he's been in, even the jackal, it's still pretty much the same type of character. But, just like Adam Sandler movies, he's still funny, it's just formulaic comedy.

edit:

No one seems to even list Jersey Girl - I haven't seen it yet... is there a reason no one is listing it?

Archeus
14-06-04, 15:20
Chasing Amy is the only one i havent seen... but i have been told that its worse than Clerks, Dogma and Mallrats

Chasing Amy is an excellent movie. I loved the "Tracer" scene and the "Fight the power" Black guys Q&A session.

Script: http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/eastwood/425/chasing_amy.html

jernau
14-06-04, 15:20
Dogma and Clerks equally for different reasons.

My favourite SB moment though is the bit in Mallrats when he's trying to retrieve the video tape.

J&SBSB is a very funny film but it wasn't as clever as the others so it feels a bit hollow.

edit :

No one seems to even list Jersey Girl - I haven't seen it yet... is there a reason no one is listing it?
Well it's not out in Europe yet and the US reviews weren't very good.

Maester Seymour
14-06-04, 15:24
I wuv Jay & Silent Bob :D

I like all of them tbh, but..

1. Mallrats,
2. Chasing amy,
3. Strike back,
4, Dogma,
5. Clerks

"...I am the C.L.I.T commander!! Remember that, commander of all C.L.I.T.s! When it comes down to business, this is what I do. I pinch it like this. OOH you little fuck..."

Jesterthegreat
14-06-04, 15:26
saved the script... but that site has both pop up's AND installer programs... O_o

Selendor
14-06-04, 15:26
Clerks is pure genius. Most of his other movies seem tributes to this classic.

Danae
14-06-04, 16:08
Clerks! Omg, I love Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes :P

I like the Berserker thing with the German guy teehee

My love for you is like a truck BERSERKER! Would you like some making fu... :D

MkVenner
14-06-04, 16:15
Dogma and Clerks are my favorites, tho Strikes back is funny, although some of the deleted scenes are funnier than the stuff in the film (has the DVD :p)

shend
14-06-04, 16:51
Clerks still is the best
my favorite part is when Olaf starts singing 'making fuck berserker'

Xylaz
14-06-04, 17:29
Indeed Clerks are definitely the closest to my taste and definition of art, but dogma was ... intriguing as well.