PDA

View Full Version : [OT] PC help!!

Ryuben
13-06-04, 15:44
ok my PCis screwed.

When ever i turn it on it just restarts used to happen every so offten now i can't even get out of boot up.

I let my friend (female -_-) put in anew mo-bo

she put my cpu with thermal paste but no pad -_-

but i changed that as soon as i found out.

So i swaped PSU and same thing.

i checked my ram, happened with both sticks and friends stick that works.

im totallyout of ideas

OS, XP
cpu 2.8 amd Barton
ram 2x 512 DDR 333
mobo A7v600-x
gfx GeForce 5600fx (female put a thermal pad on the fan...)

Psu 550 w (tried a 300w as well as mine)

helpppppppppppp

Ithaqua
13-06-04, 18:51
did you reinstall windows after the new mobo was fitted? if not... there's ya problem.

When it restarts... does it bloue screen? if so what is the STOP code?

does it do it if you choose LAst Known Good Configuration from the F8 menu?
how about safe mode?

try all of the above, or reply with a stop error code (e.g 0x0000007E or whatever) and I'll be able to be more help :D

OpTi
13-06-04, 19:09
when EXACTLY does it restart? before post? after post? is it ok in the BIOS?

Ryuben
13-06-04, 19:39
it posts then will just restart, or it will get to desktop and restart

the only bsod it gave me was a IRQA equal or less then (thingy)

and asked friend she didn't re-install windows -_-

and some times ill enter bios and it will restart too
o_O

thanks for ur help :p hope u know wtf is wrong :D

supose i learnt one thing if u want a joddoing right.....

OpTi
13-06-04, 19:45
strip your machine to ONLY the required things, 1 HD, GFX card, RAM.

nothing else is needed rip everything thats not needed for the comp to start up. and keep it in the bios (best place to test for a hardware probs as no software interfears).

to me it sounds like a piece of hardware is shafted. If the comp starts up ok like that put each pice back in one at a time untill it breaks again.then try with the basics and JUST that piece just to be sure.

Ryuben
13-06-04, 20:15
i tried that ish

i started it with friends stick of ram (i know works) my HDD and GFX and cpu........ill try it again and keep it in bios

or do u mean take out my hdd too?

OpTi
13-06-04, 20:29
all you need for a comp to run is a mobo, CPU, RAM and a HD. NOTHING else is needed like soundcards extra HD's, CD drives, floppy drives etc etc.

by removing everything but the things needed to run you eliminate that hardware being the problem. It's a trial and error process and i've had to do it many times myself in similer situations.

if when only running on the very basics it STILL has a problem (even before an OS loads) then your looking at a problem with one or more of the remaining pieces of your comp. you've already tried new RAM so it's unlikely to be that same with the PSU so if tyou get to that situation your looking at CPU, mobo or HD problem first thing i'd do at that is remove the HD and sit in the bios to see if it still restarts, you have to make sure that the other components are not connected in any way to the comps remaining hardware (except for the HD and CD drives which can remain in the case but not connected to the mobo or psu) or your testing will be pointless.

alig
13-06-04, 20:38
Well if you install a new motherboard without reinstalling windows there is always a slight chance it wont work properly. Ive never had problems because i reinstall windows everytime i install a new motherboard without even checking.

OpTi
13-06-04, 20:43
and some times ill enter bios and it will restart too

sorry alig while you are correct about reinstalling windows after a new mobo (i ALWAYS do it too) the quote points to a hardware problem.

Ryuben
14-06-04, 10:16
w00t

-_-

restarted PC with nothing connected but CPU, MoBo + Ram.

put it in Bios and it restarted after a min or 2.

so its probly the mobo :( as the cpu should be fine as the only thing thats changed is the mobo :( time to get a new one.

Agent L
14-06-04, 10:53
Check out thermal alarm / fan speed control settings.
Maybe it resesets because "panic" temperature is set to some silly low value, or fan is low-speed (or no speed control at all) and mobo tries to save proc from overheating.
There always is possibility that you've fux0red heatsink instalation (copper shim is easiest way) and cpu really overheats because od poor contact with radiator.

One last and most sad option is that when putting radiator on, processor core has been cracked.

BTW - I don't understand what you mean as "thermal pad".

OpTi
14-06-04, 11:59
w00t

-_-

restarted PC with nothing connected but CPU, MoBo + Ram.

put it in Bios and it restarted after a min or 2.

so its probly the mobo :( as the cpu should be fine as the only thing thats changed is the mobo :( time to get a new one.

well at least you found the problem

LTA
14-06-04, 12:09
I had a problem like that with my older mobo, i reinstalled Windows and disabled all the ACPI managemnet stuff and that seemed to stop it.
Dunno if you can disable it through windows but i know if you hold sain like F6 on install it dosen't install it.

Last time for me the ACPI didn't like the mobo or the mobo didn't like the power management or whatever it would run for 5 mins restart, then say 2 mins, then 3 mins then half hour then wouldnt even boot then rinse repeat, it wasn't consistent crashes just random timed so i had no f`in clue what was wrong :S

Ithaqua
14-06-04, 20:44
Knowledgebase Article 314063 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314063)

Read that... job done :p

whifix
14-06-04, 22:47
There is one other possibility if it's not the motherboard. You might be getting unclean juice coming from the wall socket or the power strip that you have your computer plugged into. Try moving your computer to another section of your house (hopefully on another circuit in the house). Bring over the monitor, keyboard and computer and see if you can make it any further on the other outlet.

landofcake
14-06-04, 23:14
the only time something similar to this has happened to me was when i would turn the PC on ... the fans would spin ... hard drive would spin up ... etc ... and then the PC would suddenly turn itself off again.

Turns out the motherboard was shorting out on a big chunk of fluff. :rolleyes: