PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Duke Nukem 3D still *very* active...

Benjie
12-06-04, 17:32
Holy crap. I have been searching the forums, and I stumbled across several Duke Nukem sites. All of them with updates in June 2004! :eek:

I can't believe Duke Nukem is still so damn active after so long! This is so crazy, and yet so cool! OMG!

:eek: :eek:

http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~amc/index.php
http://www.bur.st/~duke3d/
http://www.planetduke.com/msdn/

:) :eek:

Dribble Joy
12-06-04, 17:34
DN3D is quite possibly one of the best games evah.

I used to make my own level, hell I had a whole episode made, with maps far larger than the stuff with the game.
Even modded the shrinker into a type of plasma rifle.

I would still be doing it probably if it worked on 2k.

Drake6k
12-06-04, 18:04
I played 2d duke so much I liked it more. But you never hear about it.

Quake > all

landofcake
12-06-04, 18:24
Does anyone know if there are any updated clients for Duke Nukem 3D ?

Sort of like FUHQuake for Quake and Legacy Doom/ZDaemon for Doom.

Shadow Dancer
12-06-04, 19:21
I remember buying Duke Nukem 64 for the N64, because I loved it on the PC so much. Then I found out the 64 version ad no music. How stupid is that? :rolleyes:

ex-machina
12-06-04, 19:46
I remember buying Duke Nukem 64 for the N64, because I loved it on the PC so much. Then I found out the 64 version ad no music. How stupid is that? :rolleyes:

One of the many detractors for cartridge systems.

jernau
12-06-04, 19:55
This needed a poll?

Oh, yeah and Duke rocks. It's still one of the best FPSs.

Menolak
13-06-04, 04:05
This needed a poll?

Oh, yeah and Duke rocks. It's still one of the best FPSs.

Your a crackhead, right? Counterstrike and BF:Vietnam own ANY version of Duke that has or will exist, past, present, or future...
Although' I never tried Tribes, sounds interesting, for an older game

Benjie
13-06-04, 04:17
Your a crackhead, right? Counterstrike and BF:Vietnam own ANY version of Duke that has or will exist, past, present, or future...
Nah. I've just dug up Duke Nukem 3D and started playing it again.

Duke Nukem 3D is the best 3D Shoot 'em up ever created. It's more fun than pretty much any modern game I have played. When your on the second level of the first episode and your shooting flying pig cops out of a window with a BFG rocket launcher. When your in a dark room and suddenly you see two pixalated red eyes staring at you and your loosing health. When you *still* remember the password to all the switch locks, even after a good 6 years it at least of not playing.... When the game is almost a decade old and still is still kicking ass and chewing bubblegum.

Nothing beets Duke Nukem 3D.

Xirus
13-06-04, 04:20
DN3D is a really classic game one of the first games i have ever played in Lan and it rocked really hard. :D My Brother made a fucking cool map with the really strange editor.

Nothing beats DN3D you are right :)

/Edit And i remember i played it without the mouse :D

Benjie
13-06-04, 04:23
Quake > all
Quake and Duke Nukem 3D came out at around the same time. Both where some of the best games ever created. Soon after, Half Life came out. It was a damn good couple of years.

Games where better in the old days. If you look before the 3D revolution, you can see the same trend. Dungeon Master is one of the best RPG's ever created. It still ranks as my favoraite all time Role Playing Game ever.
It's weird, and it doesn't make sence, but do games *really* get worse over time?

amfest
13-06-04, 04:34
Well about games getting worse it's because you can have a mediocure game or just average game as long as you have superd graphics . especially if they are never before beendone kind so many people will just drool seeing them. I'm sure eventually there will be a stopping point.. but graphics keep getting better and better and because of that . they work more on graphics than story and great feel in most cases :\

jernau
13-06-04, 08:08
What Benjie said (except the part about games getting worse, I don't think that's true).

msdong
13-06-04, 09:14
Duke was where that cool. i didnt play it for a long time but it was one of our first network games. it was fun because of the cool setting and it looked funny. better (detailed) GFX kill a little fun because it makes everything "real".

even the game was cool i hate all that dos network stuff (IPX 8|) and freeing mem and crap .

the new duke - if it ever comes out will be only another shooter with funny talk :(

Benjie
14-06-04, 20:38
What Benjie said (except the part about games getting worse, I don't think that's true).
I'm curious then.

Why do I find the best 3D shoot 'em up in history to be Duke Nukem?

Why is my favoraite RPG ever Dungeon Master? (Are there any other Dungeon Master Vets/Geeks out there?)

The first Civilization is still, in my opinion, the best stratagy game ever created. Far suprior to all it's sequals and any Command & Conquor or Age of Anything.

Plus I could rant on about oldschool Platform games compared to Spyro and Crash Bandicoot, but thats just obvious.

Oh, and Llamatron > Duke Nukem 3D. :p Now that was a shoot 'em up. :lol:

Benjie
14-06-04, 20:46
Holy Crap, I found a freeware remake of Llamatron on the Net!!!!! :lol:
Download it here. (but you won't understand it, no siree. All you 3D graphics fanbois.) (http://g1.acid-play.com/download/a65ebe0f/llama.zip)
Theres no sound though. The sound was weird man, as weird as the game.

Man the guy that made that game was one hell of a hippy.

jernau
14-06-04, 20:47
People always look back on things with rose-tinted spectacles. It's human nature.

I loved Duke and still think it rates as one of the best FPSs but you have to put it in perspective - if it came out now it would be shit becuase other games have moved the genre on. The reason I would still consider playing it is because it reminds me of when it came out.

There are very few old games I could honestly recommend to people who weren't there at the time and expect them to get as much from them as I do/did.

Example : Syndicate (the original) - I can play this again anytime and whenever I play the many games that followed it (XCOM, etc) they remind me of it and I think of things it had that didn't make it into later generations (drugs, crowd control, etc). Give it to someone who never even played XCOM/TFTD though and what will they see - low-res graphics, limited view control, small research tree, etc. They probably won't even play long enough to see the things I love about it.

Strych9
14-06-04, 20:50
Our first ever LAN group way back when was with DN3D. Our office would close down, and we would go back up there after hours (we werent allowed to) and copy the DN3D folder over the network onto all of the machines. Move their stuff out the way, play, delete the dir, then rearrange their desks back to how they were before. Never caught. Mad fun.

DN3D had the taunts too- favorite set of taunts was from Full Metal Jacket I think. Those rocked.

Best map I EVER played in ANY FPS was back in DN3D. I wish I knew the name so I could find it again. Some user-made map.

And the best trick of all... laser tripwire/pipe bomb trap. Best time was on the above mentioned map, there was a door that opened upwards, with a wall right behind it. It was the ONLY way into a big part of the map. So I would go there first, and put two laser tripwires on the wall, facing the door. Then on the floor you toss a bunch of pipebombs. Some unsuspecting fool walks up and opens the door, buh bye. If they get crafty and open the door then run back, you plant pipe bombs outside the door as well. Sooo many kills that way at the LANs...

Good times.

HL had some similar tripwire action. Esp the one map where you had to drop into that room with the rotating ceiling in order to get the egon gun... drop in, slap some laser tripmines down, and then wait for the next guy to come in.

Nothing better than playing a serious deathmatch and spending the whole time setting traps for people. :lol:

numb
14-06-04, 20:55
I did enjoy Duke when it came out. It was good at the time. But I really believe quake blew it out of the water with the multiplayer it had. The mouselook and overall engine on quake was far better imo.

The single player of quake was not really as good as duke (although I have enjoyed many co-op games of quake) but the multiplayer had me hooked since the shareware version came out. Even if I did have a 400 ping at the time :) We used to play it loads at college aswell.

slaughteruall
14-06-04, 21:20
Counterstrike and BF:Vietnam own ANY version of Duke that has or will exist, past, present, or future...

I actually dont like BF:V. The maps are to small for online play. The first one is much better.

I can't wait for BF2 which can support up to 100 people per server. Maps that change in size depending on the amount of people on each server. It's going to be fun.

tkNukem
14-06-04, 23:12
bah, how do you get the sound to work? i've installed it on different occasions to find that i have to use the stupid PC speaker to hear sound....and sound from pc speaker = lewz.
maybe i'll reinstall that uberness. i had like duke in DC, plutonium pack, etc. lol i remember they made like some Mods or something (for sale actually) that were like "duke on the beach" and "duke on antarctica" or some silliness.
i'd say one of the best things in Duke Nukem 3D (and later versions) is the fact that it was city fighting. i love FPSs that take place in a city, especially post-apocalyptic. those are teh winz, and teh dukester is teh winz too. ah and when he went into space. that was neat too. mmm noclip that shit.

rob444
14-06-04, 23:58
Does anyone know if there are any updated clients for Duke Nukem 3D ?

Sort of like FUHQuake for Quake and Legacy Doom/ZDaemon for Doom.

There is, I dont remember what it was called but I downloaded it a long time ago, you need full Duke Nukem 3D however.

Dribble Joy
15-06-04, 00:21
Can you get DN3D to work on 2k?

I really really need some piggy beating right now.

Benjie
15-06-04, 00:23
bah, how do you get the sound to work? i've installed it on different occasions to find that i have to use the stupid PC speaker to hear sound....and sound from pc speaker = lewz.
maybe i'll reinstall that uberness. i had like duke in DC, plutonium pack, etc. lol i remember they made like some Mods or something (for sale actually) that were like "duke on the beach" and "duke on antarctica" or some silliness.
i'd say one of the best things in Duke Nukem 3D (and later versions) is the fact that it was city fighting. i love FPSs that take place in a city, especially post-apocalyptic. those are teh winz, and teh dukester is teh winz too. ah and when he went into space. that was neat too. mmm noclip that shit.
Setup.

Choose Sound: *usually* it's Sounblaster, 220, 5, 3 or 1. It actually tells you your soundcard settings as your PC loads up. Restart your computer and look at what it says.
Choose Music: Try General Midi @ 330. Thats the most common. Otherwise I duno. Try all the others or Sounblaster, but Midi music sounds better.

Save and Launch Duke Nukem 3D.

To play a user created map

Setup.

Select user Map (or something along these lines)
/ Select the map. (should be in your DN3d Directory)

On that note, I can't get user maps working anymore. It used to work on Windows 98, but now I'm having problems. Any ideas?

Omnituens
15-06-04, 00:28
I would still be doing it probably if it worked on 2k.
you tried compatibilty mode? im sure i got it working on 2k at a lan party.

Dribble Joy
15-06-04, 00:39
you tried compatibilty mode?
Huh?

gah, sodding post count limit.

tkNukem
15-06-04, 05:11
Setup.

Choose Sound: *usually* it's Sounblaster, 220, 5, 3 or 1. It actually tells you your soundcard settings as your PC loads up. Restart your computer and look at what it says.
Choose Music: Try General Midi @ 330. Thats the most common. Otherwise I duno. Try all the others or Sounblaster, but Midi music sounds better.

it's pretty hard to see those settings at startup. that splash screen goes by sooo damned fast on xp machines. even if i stopped it with a non-bootable floppy, i doubt it would show the soundcard portion.
hrm ima check device manager. i seem to remember viewing irq, rma, whatever values there.

tkNukem
15-06-04, 05:23
bah lame, i just installed it...stupid installer made me load it onto my C: partition! apparently it won't let me install the proggie onto a drive letter that's 'higher' then the cd-rom. old skool indeed...now to set it up!

/ hrhr i installed the kill-a-ton pack..it comes with leet screen savers. uber carnage of death while i idle >;] now to start playing!

Redburn
15-06-04, 06:41

You got to try Tribes, Serria is giving the game away free right now along with Tribes 2.... You have to download it from Fileplanet, but it's FREE

Dribble Joy
15-06-04, 13:22
OK, got a PM from a DN3D personage.

Hi,
I run one of the aforementioned Duke sites, www.bur.st/~duke3d. I've been trying to register but the damn thing won't let me post, so as a last resort I'm trying PMs :)

Duke3D has now been ported over to Windows and has OpenGL support (hi-res texture replacements are being worked on too). You can download the Win32 port from http://jonof.edgenetwork.org/buildport/duke3d/

I PM'd you in particular cos I saw you were having difficulty getting the game to run. The port should solve your problem :)

I still can't seem to post, perhaps you could let others know about the port in the Duke3D thread?

Cheers,
- Kim

[TgR]KILLER
15-06-04, 13:30
All > cs

UT, Quake 1/2, Wolfenstein and doom that were games