PDA

View Full Version : Low health, low dammage etc...

winnoc
11-06-04, 14:12
Ok, so i've noticed my noob chars get a lot less damage a shot from high level mobs then my high level ones.

So, i came to think if this.... It seems as if dammage is done by keeping the target's max healthnumber in mind. Now what i wonder is, if that calculation is done before, or after Resists are subtracted from that.

Because if it is after, then you could have a spy with extremely low health, and maxed resists (200 total) and take more bursts from a cs then a +400 hp spy.

Anyone ever tried this on TS?

Candaman
11-06-04, 14:15
think about it this way

more resist + low hlt u can take x hits

more hlt + low resist u can still take x hits

the only way this would be possible is if dmg is indeed as some people believe percentile based on hlt BUT it matters not if u have high health and low resist or the other way round because supposidly u would be able to take the same either way.

Psycho_SquiRReL
11-06-04, 14:19
damage was thought to be effected by your health but that theory has been crushed.... what your talkin bout is cause noone can be killed in 1 shot...

winnoc
11-06-04, 14:21
Hmm, i don't realy believe that.

So, say you take a con capped spy, get no extra points in health and thow it all into energy, (till max) then shoot him with a non locational energy weapon till he drops, count the number of hits.

Next take a spy with all points in health, no resists, same thing count the hits.

I'm getting a distinct feeling that the high health will drop faster.

Also the return on investement of your con points in resists diminishes as you get it at 50 80 100. meaning you need two then 3 and then 5 points to get it up a point.

So maybe one should try that too, do setups with 50 in resits, rest in health, then 80 rest in health, then 100 rest in health, and count the shots it takes to drop him.

Gut feeling tells me the magic point is either around 50 in resist or around 80

Psycho_SquiRReL
11-06-04, 14:25
yes the lower health guy would probably take more shots because the first shot would not do the same (percentage based) dmg as the 1 with high health just because he has high health

SorkZmok
11-06-04, 14:32
Wouldnt work that way.
The higher your resists are, the less effect from more points you put into it. Same thing with too much health. Too many points invested.
Because of that youre always better off with a balanced health/con setup.

Lots of loms (and lots of getting hit :lol: ) helped me find a pretty good balance on my spy, hes got 400 health and can take a shitload of dmg. Takes less than a good tank from a cs.

Free up half of your con points and hit neofrag. ;)

Btw if this was true, tl 3 heal would be pretty imbalanced as one cast could bring a person with all in resists/no health back to full health in no time.

/edit
Also i bet the guy with high resists/low health will have his legs broken way faster.

Scikar
11-06-04, 14:33
The spy with lower health takes less damage, because his head and torso HP drain faster. When taking leg damage, the damage is reduced, so yes, a 200 max HP spy would seem to take less damage from weapons than a 400 HP spy. However, while the 200 HP spy would take less at full health, he won't take half damage. So in terms of total bursts he can take, the 200 HP would be worse off.

In other words, if you want to take the absolute minimum possible damage, you would have as little health as possible and as high resists as possible. You could then reasonably claim to only take 30 damage from a CS burst, though you would likely die in 2.

Koshinn
11-06-04, 22:57
Low health, high resists would work in theory (look at APUs with PPU buffs...)
But, think about this: there is a damage cap (max damage you can take from a single hit) based on your total and current hp, thus making you take less damage. But that only applies to a single shot. If a high-damage burst weapon hit you, like a CS, you'd drop in 1-2 bursts. Ow. Also, DoT (damage over time) weapons like fire apocalypse hit multiple times as well, so you may die from a single Fire Apoc. And non-locational weapons do not scale down damage based on current hp so you'd drop fairly quickly from those as well (ray guns, laser beams and plasma waves).

Also, for high health low resists, it'd be the opposite. You'd take huge amounts of damage because of a lesser damage cap and almost no resists. Get a balance. Balance is the key to life, the universe and everything, along with 42.

Edit:

Lots of loms (and lots of getting hit :lol: ) helped me find a pretty good balance on my spy, hes got 400 health and can take a shitload of dmg. Takes less than a good tank from a cs.

Well, theoretically, a 99% imparement char takes less from a cs than a good tank. My friend's 0/2 tank with 99% imparement took 24 from a capped Silent Hunter to the head... so the point is moot. What's important is how many hits you can take, not how much damage you take per hit.

Jest
11-06-04, 23:02
Ive tried low health / high resist setups and they are utter shite. Especially since a few weapons in the game don't seem to be locational based, like Rayguns tear you the hell apart no matter what your health is. My suggestion? You should ALWAYS have high resists, but you should NEVER have low health. At the very least you can settle for medium health. (And by medium Im still thinking around 100-105 points in body health).

SorkZmok
11-06-04, 23:09
My friend's 0/2 tank with 99% imparement took 24 from a capped Silent Hunter to the head... so the point is moot.
You cant take SH into this. Its fucked. No matter what the health is, it takes 3 shots to kill someone. And the SH is pretty useless these days i found out. 7 shots to kill a tank with a RoF 21 gun just sucks. :(

Ah well, Jest says it. :)

jiga
11-06-04, 23:28
In theory low health and high resists would be best because it means that you reach full health faster when healing.

Oath
11-06-04, 23:31
Hmmm, i tried a low health, high resist setup....

Crap.

Legs broke almost instantly, took roughly the same damage, wich meant i died faster.

Menolak
12-06-04, 00:26
I dunno about the damage/health theory, but one of my noobs took 3 shots from a Y-Commander once..

LiL T
12-06-04, 02:05
Free up half of your con points and hit neofrag.

I also do this works a treat :)

Also i bet the guy with high resists/low health will have his legs broken way faster

This is true and he will also die very fast to a devourer and other weapons that do the same damage no matter how much health you have left

I have tryed both high health low resists low health high resist and to be honest some where in between works the best

Doc Holliday
12-06-04, 02:15
interesting discussion. bring on the boffins.