PDA

View Full Version : RPG Maker 2003

LTA
11-06-04, 10:37
Has anybody used this ?
I got it the other day and it's quite good, it allows you to make some old skool nes style rpgs and set your complete mob/item/skill databases.

I just need help making dungeons n stuff, ie tying castles to change the scene when someone enters.

Xylaz
11-06-04, 12:26
Has anybody used this ?
I got it the other day and it's quite good, it allows you to make some old skool nes style rpgs and set your complete mob/item/skill databases.

I just need help making dungeons n stuff, ie tying castles to change the scene when someone enters.

uhm ehm.... never heard of it. But judging from ur description - I want it!!! Gimme the link pls.

Original monk
11-06-04, 12:32
uhm ehm.... never heard of it. But judging from ur description - I want it!!! Gimme the link pls.

type in google RPGmaker 2003

also i noticed thing like: gamemaker and gamecreator

looks nice all, think ill make my own version of neocron :)

with waay overpowerd monks :P

RPGmaker 2003 (http://www.gamingw.net/makers/rm2k3)

on them guys there forum (wich is a grose forum btw) i found an intresting link to buy 9000 ladybugs for only 20$ :P

ladybugs 4 sale (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001KWFGG/ref%3Dpd%5Fecc%5Frvi%5F3/103-8107407-6736652)

SilentEye
11-06-04, 13:08
Anyone have a link where to download RPG Maker 2003?

Judge
11-06-04, 13:26
Is it freeware or retail?

EDIT: If its freeware then this should be it: http://archives.rpginfinity.com/makers/rpg_maker_2003 If its retail then delete this. :p

Original monk
11-06-04, 14:26
Is it freeware or retail?

EDIT: If its freeware then this should be it: http://archives.rpginfinity.com/makers/rpg_maker_2003 If its retail then delete this. :p

im downloading this as we speak, it looks good :)

amfest
11-06-04, 14:29
It's not freeware at all . . . what is out there is a hacked translation as it's only out in japan.

RPGmaker 2k was first translated by someone nicked don miguel and he released it to the public since ASCII didn't bring a tranlsated PC version to the masses except of course their japanese base. It was released on playstation though but people felt cheated by that since it's limited unlike a PC where you have alot more freedom. ASCII basically told Don Miguel to stop sharing it .. and he got into a bunch of trouble. But as all things the program was already widespread so any release of a public version was non existant.

the newest rpgmaker out now had split communitys . .. those who felt that it should not be hacked and translated because they wanted ASCII to consider releasing the program legally all around . . . and if it was leaked again in translation then they wouldnt' consider it at all. And of course the community who doesn't care and just wants the program cause they enjoyed it's ease of creating. Anyhow as you can guess . . . they opened up the program and released a translated version.

the newest rpgmaker though has alot of features that were requested like sideview battle system. Larger characters that can appear on these screens. It has a variable system that can be used to make mini games and all sorts of things. Which is done from all sorts of dialog boxes and such. It does have alot of features but all in all. It's a n00b RPG creation kit. There are plenty of RPGcreation toolboxes that are far less restricted. And the key term. They are free.

I hear you can make RPGs if you try with Game Maker. and it's free and they allow you to even sell your games if you like. check in to it.

Psycho_SquiRReL
11-06-04, 14:30
omg uber.... thats so cool ppl post ur games aftrr u make em roar this is going to be interesting......

Judge
11-06-04, 14:55
I'm sorry amfest. :(

Its really really hard to use anyway, and I don't have time to read any of the tutorials. Bah.

Original monk
11-06-04, 14:58
It's not freeware at all . . . what is out there is a hacked translation as it's only out in japan.

RPGmaker 2k was first translated by someone nicked don miguel and he released it to the public since ASCII didn't bring a tranlsated PC version to the masses except of course their japanese base. It was released on playstation though but people felt cheated by that since it's limited unlike a PC where you have alot more freedom. ASCII basically told Don Miguel to stop sharing it .. and he got into a bunch of trouble. But as all things the program was already widespread so any release of a public version was non existant.

the newest rpgmaker out now had split communitys . .. those who felt that it should not be hacked and translated because they wanted ASCII to consider releasing the program legally all around . . . and if it was leaked again in translation then they wouldnt' consider it at all. And of course the community who doesn't care and just wants the program cause they enjoyed it's ease of creating. Anyhow as you can guess . . . they opened up the program and released a translated version.

the newest rpgmaker though has alot of features that were requested like sideview battle system. Larger characters that can appear on these screens. It has a variable system that can be used to make mini games and all sorts of things. Which is done from all sorts of dialog boxes and such. It does have alot of features but all in all. It's a n00b RPG creation kit. There are plenty of RPGcreation toolboxes that are far less restricted. And the key term. They are free.

I hear you can make RPGs if you try with Game Maker. and it's free and they allow you to even sell your games if you like. check in to it.

crazy situation it seems lol

time to try game maker :)

SilentEye
11-06-04, 15:59
RPG Maker 2003 ownz, could someone explain how to set a Party Starting Position? ^.^

Judge
11-06-04, 16:05
Go to the events layer, then right click and it should be an option near the bottom.

When I tried it out, the character was way too big for the size of all the terrain around him. How do I make him smaller?

SilentEye
11-06-04, 16:08
Awesome, but I don't think you can smallen up your player, Just gonna have to build things bigger ;)

I deffinetly owned! Here is a little video of me owning nothing!
I got a dog to move around ;)
Get it here (http://194.109.220.50:21000/GunKatana.wmv) (pwned)

cRazy2003
11-06-04, 16:50
Has anybody used this ?

i use it a lot, made quite a few rpgs, one was 70 meg :eek: which is pritty damn big for a game like that.

Judge
11-06-04, 17:15
Can anyone point me to a few very basic tutorials?

I've got a pretty cool idea for a game, but I dunno if it'll work with this thing. The magic system seems pretty different, as does the battle system.

SPIKE (pluto)
11-06-04, 17:31
never tried it thx to this thread, me want!
anyone got a good url for the download :p

Judge
11-06-04, 18:02
I posted one a few posts back.

Aha, I'm finally starting to get hang of the map building system. Was getting very confused. Next... adding in people. :eek:

StryfeX
11-06-04, 19:57
*Bookmarked* I like. :D

--Stryfe

Matthew.v.smith
11-06-04, 22:30
Me and my Friend have been making something for the last couple of hours.
Bloody addictive :P
But what did u find hard Judge?
I was into making things and adding chars in no time :)

Ive made mobs with Conversation elements and choices
and some rewards for doing things/saving people etc.
And a drunk bloke who u can lair off and fight heh.

Matty.

P.s) I would host it if i had a host lol.

amfest
11-06-04, 23:04
Well i'm not a very good map builder. Also I don't like the default stuff and want my own but since i'm not a very good tile designer or characterset maker I'm sorta borked on that one. heh. I've messed more with rpgmaker 2k . . . I was trying to make a simple dating sim/visual choice storybook with that one . . lol. Anyhow I was just seeing how it easy it was to do it in rpgmaker since I couldn't find a maker for that type of thing. So I did a cheap test which doesn't look very impressive. It only has a few choices. Very cheap dialog. And you can get the best ending really quickly ..lol. I did have a problem with the ending where it shows your game time . .it has some funky code that didn't implement right >_<

If anyone is interested in checking it out
http://users3.ev1.net/~amfest/Datingsimtest2-messageBoxes.rar

The thing about rpgmaker2k (I don't think this has changed in this next version) is that you can't just send games to friends and they can play them if they dont' have the RTP installed. Basically the RTP is all the default images made by ASCII. If you use any of those images/sounds in your game they will require the RTP to be installed. The way around this is to figure out what all images you are using from the RTP and import them ingame. when you import it puts it into your projects folders thus having them when the game is installed.

My datingsim test thing should have everything imported and work without the rtp installed. The resolution of 320x240 the program goes into and the picture requiments along with having to be in 256 color didn't work too well on the images I used :( but ah well it was a test :D

SilentEye
11-06-04, 23:07
Me and my Friend have been making something for the last couple of hours.
Bloody addictive :P
But what did u find hard Judge?
I was into making things and adding chars in no time :)

Ive made mobs with Conversation elements and choices
and some rewards for doing things/saving people etc.
And a drunk bloke who u can lair off and fight heh.

Matty.

P.s) I would host it if i had a host lol.

Hey,

Could you please help me out with a few questions?
How can I create a conversation with a person which I set up on the map?
I know how to make the person move to the Hero, then on "Collision with Hero" I send a "message" but I simply want a conversation with choices, can you help me with some info? Thanks!

Oh and also, I noticed how there isn't much furniture or different walls, am I missing out?

Silent

Oh, and how the hell do I show dialog with just images? As in the dating sim which I pwned ;)

Judge
11-06-04, 23:12
How do you actually add creatures and NPCs to maps?

amfest
11-06-04, 23:18
well if you know how to make the event and you put a message then after message you put another one and maybe put the Hero's face on the message to signfy he's speaking. .. you can keep switching faces or you can put color codes and put the code to bring up the Hero's name or write it out.

As for choices that gets a bit different . .especially if you want them to actually trigger something. Cause then you would have to make switches in the game and have him picking once choice flips a switch. Like a treasure box is locked next to the man. you have a switch on it so it will open but it'll only open if you talk to the man and answer the question right. You talk and choose the right choice so the switch flips to Open. You can then click on the chest and recieve the sword. Or maybe you talk to the guy and piss him off so a switch flips and a bunch of guards appear and take you away.

Go into y our database and check your chipsets. You'l see the defaul ones for upper and lower levels. Now as to not much stuff .. well you can search the net for user made chipsets of what you want or need then you have to import them into your game. Tool > Raw Material Editor

I'm speaking for rpgmaker2k experince :P

Oh, and how the hell do I show dialog with just images? As in the dating sim which I pwned ;) none of your games are safe they can all be opened by rpgmaker . . well you can try to safeguard them :P

So just open up my test game in rpgmaker and check it .. it's a 2k game but it should still work. I made my own text box and had events to make it zoom in and zoom out .. so each time I had to call those events which i made as Common Events. You can see that in the Database at the end. But you can see how I made the choices do something.

Judge, Right click on the map and make an event. Then you'll see on the right side an image thing. Browse for NPC or monster image. I never really did do much on the RPG side though so as to where to go from there like making them walk or what not .. You could make a monster be on hero touch then in the white text box make a start fight event and put it as approprite monster. I suggest downloading rpgmaker games and opening them up to see how they did certain things. There are also several sites with tutorials on how to do things. Also even tuturoial games.

SPIKE (pluto)
12-06-04, 00:31
Downloading rpg maker 2003 now (gonna take me 2 hours, damn modem) anyone know a site with a faq thats in lamest terms, or close to lamest terms?

Menolak
12-06-04, 00:35
type in google RPGmaker 2003

also i noticed thing like: gamemaker and gamecreator

looks nice all, think ill make my own version of neocron :)

with waay overpowerd monks :P

RPGmaker 2003 (http://www.gamingw.net/makers/rm2k3)

on them guys there forum (wich is a grose forum btw) i found an intresting link to buy 9000 ladybugs for only 20$ :P

ladybugs 4 sale (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001KWFGG/ref%3Dpd%5Fecc%5Frvi%5F3/103-8107407-6736652)

chances are, the intended clients of the ladybugs are marijhuana growers, I used to have some expererience with that in my youth, ladybugs are the preferred predators to kill spider mites and other infestations. :)

amfest
12-06-04, 00:43
Hah I could maybe make a neocron style game with the dating sim style choice tree where you have to make the proper choices .. get into fights and it goes into a first person style view of the mob you are fighting and use all the images and sounds of neocron .. but I doubt I coudl do that since it would be using their images and sounds in a game. Not good cause of copyright and getting permission is so drab for something I most likely wouldn't finish .. lol. But it would be funny if the game over screen was you looking over your dead spys body :D

But it would be easier that way. People would just have to take a screenshot in game of backgrounds. Then someone would have to screenshot mobs and color everything to a color taht wont' be used and make that color transparent when importing the images. Someone would need to make the weapon effects. Someone would have to capture the weapon sounds and such and make them into waves. Same thing with different poses of ingame characters to use during dialog areas and such. Would be the same thing as my dating sim test except a certain choice or something could trigger a fight. The problem would be that when you win money it's gp . .. :\ You would have ot make a custom battle system with variables to change the gp to NC and add all sorts of things. Although that might work also cause you can make the battle screen look exactly like the RPOS in neocron.

But then again . .that permission thing :(

SPIKE (pluto)
12-06-04, 00:46
ladybugs are the preferred predators to kill spider mites and other infestations

Lol menolak anyone with a primary school edcation could tell you that :p

Menolak
12-06-04, 02:27
Lol menolak anyone with a primary school edcation could tell you that :p
lol, well, they didn't teach me that in my school...(unless I was outside having a `smoke` when they did..lol)
Seriously, though, I didn't learn that until I was older...Canadian schools....(I come from an area whose main export is fish, I guess ladybug's weren't considered a priority :)

SilentEye
12-06-04, 02:34
Hey,

I done some nifty stuff, I got to the part where I can change options and make em do things.

But here is the problem, I made an option where you have to talk to a person, when you say you're ready, the door should open.

Door Event contains: Hero hits Action Key = Teleport to "Home Town".
Person Event contains: If selection = Yes, allow teleport, else do disallow teleport.

Now this doesn't work :(

Shujin
12-06-04, 02:54
hahhaha omfg did anyone read the reviews?!

"I waited with much anticipation for the arrival of my package, after only a few days, it arrived on my doorstep. I took it inside, opened it, and to my relief, I found 9000 ladybugs (or as we call them over here, ladybirds). I was over the moon, I really was, then just as I was about the throw the packaging away, my attention was diverted to a small piece of paper taped to the underside of the box.

I turned the box upside down, pulled the piece of paper from it, and unfolded it. A very strange message was attached, it read:

PS. Tony Randall is dead.

Who's Tony Randall? "

...haha

" Got the wrong order, June 11, 2004

Reviewer: A Kitchen & Housewares enthusiast from lima, Peru
They apparently sent me a box of aphids instead of lady bugs. Now my plants are dead. BEWARE. Open the box slowly. I was all excited and just ripped the box open. Yeah, try to get 10,000 aphids off your tomato plants. "

hahahahahha

"i've been trying ot make an army of shelled monsters after i saw TMNTs. this buy was great. now i have 9000 GIENT MONSTER ladybugs willing to do my bidding. oh yes france, your end is near!!!! "

hahahahahahaha

"Several problems to watch out for...
1. We only recieved 8999 lady bugs in our order

2. At least 671 of the bugs were not ladies (Please don't ask). We stopped counting after that.

3. Many of the lady bugs turned out to be immigrants who entered this country illegally to steal jobs from American Lady Bugs.

4. You must absolutely keep these bugs seperated or else they will organize and demand overtime for eating aphids after 5:00 PM. Be prepared to provide 9000 individual habitats.

5. My family now owes over $500 dollars at Blockbuster for late fees on "A Bugs Life". We don't know how it happened yet...

6. Several of the hyper-intelligent lady bugs managed to obtain fake IDs and lease a 2004 Mazda RX8. It's a pretty red color but they can't drive it because they mistakenly ordered a manual transmission and they can't reach the clutch."

hahaha omfg >.< hahaha

sanityislost
12-06-04, 03:00
HAHAHAHA OMG..... Shujin,that shit nearly killed me rofl

SiL ..:..

LiL T
12-06-04, 03:17
i've been trying ot make an army of shelled monsters after i saw TMNTs. this buy was great. now i have 9000 GIENT MONSTER ladybugs willing to do my bidding. oh yes france, your end is near!!!!

HAHAHAHA!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OMG thx I needed that

Shujin
12-06-04, 03:21
btw looking at the screenies made me remember a game i used to play and even GM for, was called Graal online ( was formerly zelda online but was threatend by a law suit from a certain company ;P and it used to look like zelda but now it looks more like a sucky version of ragnorok. )

and im thinkin about starting up a old classic graal server if i do would anyone wanna play w/ me? there are some old versions that have the server included with it. its a great game.

amfest
12-06-04, 05:27
Hey,

I done some nifty stuff, I got to the part where I can change options and make em do things.

But here is the problem, I made an option where you have to talk to a person, when you say you're ready, the door should open.

Door Event contains: Hero hits Action Key = Teleport to "Home Town".
Person Event contains: If selection = Yes, allow teleport, else do disallow teleport.

Now this doesn't work :(Well best way to do that is make a switch. Which is the backbone of all RPGs. Basically you'll notice on the 1st window when you click to add in dialog and stuff .. it has a choice called switch operations. Click on that. You shoudl see a single switch and then the name of it. Click on the ... and in that interface you can name the switch something like DoorA. What you'll want to do is go to the guy who's speaking and when you make the choice yes put inside that dialog arae of Yes choice to turn the switch On.

Go to the door event. Put on Conditional Branch. it's on the 3rd page of options 2nd column. Basically this is your programmers version of if statment. (err i think ;) ) anyhow on the dialog make sure it's on the first radio button choice of switch and that it's the switch name you put. Make sure it's off. andthat the bottom option box is checked. click okay. This will bring up the if switch is off <> else handler <> END type thing. Basiicaly you go inside the areas and add in stuff on the <> parts. So if switch is off add in a message here and put Door is locked. So when the hero clicks on the door it'll send that message to him until he talks to the guy and says I'm ready which turns on the switch. on the else handler thing add in the teleport command to where ever you want him to go. Make sure to have the door picture on same level as hero so he won't walk over it but it'll be an object he can't overlap.

I did a quick example. Though crappy .. you can look at it .. i added in a few other things not much.

http://users3.ev1.net/~amfest/switchopentest.rar

just open it up in program so you can check all the events and test play it to see how it works

EDIT: oh yea if you'll notice on the NPC that says ready I added a new page to make a 2nd one. on that page I checked that the switch be ON in order to access this page. And added some dialog for him to say. Basically what this does is when your guy finally says i'm ready and the door is open .. when you talk to the NPC again he won't ask over and over are you ready. So you need a switch so he'll say something different. You see how this can work can't you? Basically if you want time to pass ina town after you've accomplished something you can set an event switch for when you conquer a dugenon so everyone will say what's on the new page. You can keep going on and on till you run out of switches. You can also add in variables so when you've clicked on someone so many times they'll say something different. But that's something a little bit more complex ;)

SPIKE (pluto)
12-06-04, 15:28
This is gonna make me semm dumb, but ive figured out everything but how to add a npc, looked through tile layers, sprite layers and event layers and cant see how its done :(

instructions plz

Matthew.v.smith
12-06-04, 15:46
Right click on a tile.
Add Event
U will see a thing with a sample picture
Change this to whatever u want (Man Girl Boy etc)
if thats wat u mean?

Matty. :angel:

Oh and Try mine out people :)
The Quest!...Begining (http://www.getsomeskills.com/datas/users/683-The%20Quest!.rar)
I will be adding to it but so far u can only get as far as the end of the Bridge
and also it's VERY unballanced lol
u can like take everything out in 1 hit :(
NM try it.

Morganth
12-06-04, 15:58
Right click on a tile.
Add Event
U will see a thing with a sample picture
Change this to whatever u want (Man Girl Boy etc)
if thats wat u mean?

Then right click the huge pane on the right, and add a Message. This means the NPC will talk, and you can add the option of a face appearing to show who is talking.

You can also make the NPCs walk in differenct directions, follow a path, or just wander.

I am gonna make a game once I have finished my GCSEs, and decided on the plot, area and whatnot.

SilentEye
12-06-04, 16:18
Heyo,

I made some leet game, I'm still working on it, the end is fucked up at the moment ;)

Download it here! (http://194.109.220.50:12000/GunKatana.zip)

I currently have trouble with victory on a battle, how can I make a guy talk to me after he has been defeated, and how do I make him run away or dissepear?

Matthew.v.smith
12-06-04, 16:43
Heyo,

I made some leet game, I'm still working on it, the end is fucked up at the moment ;)

Download it here! (http://194.109.220.50:12000/GunKatana.zip)

I currently have trouble with victory on a battle, how can I make a guy talk to me after he has been defeated, and how do I make him run away or dissepear?
After uve selected "Fight Enemy" add another "message" then find the option for "Erase Event" and he will go after defeat.

Matthew.v.smith
12-06-04, 17:07
Your link wont work for me :(

But here's my Updated Game.
New areas and dont forget to click on EVERYTHING cause I have put like descriptions of bookshelfs and rocks.

The Quest (http://www.getsomeskills.com/datas/users/683-The%20Quest.rar)

SilentEye
12-06-04, 19:23
Hey,

Just been working on setting up a Magic Battle.
And I'm not talking about a normal battle, I'm talking about two NPC's fighting simulated while their not in battle mode ;)

So their on the normal 3rd person view and fighting eacother with Magic ;)
Yuna VS Aurean.

Download it here! (http://194.109.220.50:21000/battlearena.zip)

S

amfest
12-06-04, 22:55
Hey,

Just been working on setting up a Magic Battle.
And I'm not talking about a normal battle, I'm talking about two NPC's fighting simulated while their not in battle mode ;)

So their on the normal 3rd person view and fighting eacother with Magic ;)
Yuna VS Aurean.

Download it here! (http://194.109.220.50:21000/battlearena.zip)

S
hahaha .. you should remember to put in a switch for a new page and have it go to Game over or just stop rather than leave it to contiune unfinished. ;). You could also try putting dmg numbers in there. I'm not sure the best route to head for it .. but try making small images with the numbers typed out complete as you want them. make sure it's 256 color and small . you can look up in the help to get the exact reqs of what it should be. .i always forget -_-;; Then when you import it .. it'll give you a choice of what color to make transparent. . . . then when you do your magic spells use a show picture option and pick the area it's to appear and how. Import as many dmg numbers as you need so you can show all the hits and healing and such ;) . .there is also a limit of 50 pictures per map event if i recall so to get over that you could map a flash or something and during that time teleport to another map that's exactly the same and setup. Or you could just map a picture for 0-9 and try and align them together to look right. That takes a bit more time though. There are also commands you can use so you don't have to hit Enter to advance. and Wait commands on message boxes so it won't zoom through there. So you can have it do the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 go text on it's own at a good counting speed.

· You can also put "Control characters" in a message that have various effects. There are 12 of them, as listed below.
\\ Shows "\".
\c[n] Changes the text color to the color that matches n, n being a number from 0 to 19.
\s[n] Changes the text speed to n, where n is a number from 1 to 20, 1 being the fastest.
\n[n] Displays the name of the hero in the database with ID n, n being any numerical value. (\n[0] will show the name of the first member in the current party)
\v[n] Displays the value held in variable n, n being any numerical value.
\$ Shows the amount of money held.
\! The remainder of the message after this code is only shown when the player presses a key.
\. Adds a 1/4 second delay to the part of the message which follows this code.
\| Adds a 1 second delay to the part of the message which follows this code.
\> / \< Displays the part of the message between \> and \< instantly.
\^ Closes the message window without key input.
\_ Shows half a space.

· The $ character can also be used for the special message symbols built into the software. For a list of these, see the Special Symbols Summary topic.

Remeber when using the \^ command to make it advance on it's own to put in delay commands also on speech areas you might want to slow down the text so people can read it as it's being typed and then put a few wait commands at the end to give ample time for them to finish it.

SilentEye
13-06-04, 00:12
Hey,

Amfest I want to sex you.

You are the awesomest person regarding explaining stuff.
Thanks for all your helpfull tips and explenations, you own!

Keep it up man, and thanks!
I am almost done with a game I been working on, completion time of game is probably about 5 minutes ;)

Going to sleep now though (0:12AM) Not very later but I had a hard saterday ;)

S

Matthew.v.smith
13-06-04, 00:18
Well.
If anyone wants to actually try this out (and give me some feedback)
here's mine.
Contains.

Houses u can enter (Top of the viallage) just walk into em.
Various monsters to fight
A Condemned house to enter and fight.
a colluseum.

and an ending.

http://www.getsomeskills.com/datas/users/683-The%20Revenge.rar
Matty :)

SilentEye
13-06-04, 00:55
"Oh no! My house is falling apart! Get out via the hole, quick!"

Brilliant :lol:

amfest
13-06-04, 01:04
Well.
If anyone wants to actually try this out (and give me some feedback)
here's mine.
Contains.

Houses u can enter (Top of the viallage) just walk into em.
Various monsters to fight
A Condemned house to enter and fight.
a colluseum.

and an ending.

http://www.getsomeskills.com/datas/users/683-The%20Revenge.rar
Matty :)I didn't check it all the way through cause I'm sorta doing stuff right now but it appears you've mixed alot of world map items with regular items ;). Some suggestions I could make is like the dog getting away thing .. try making a move event . which is on umm page 2 I believe. And make sure it's marking the event to move and not the hero. So you can make the dog jump and go over the fence and run off the screen andthen make it disappear .. besure to put a wait command long enough for this to play out then put a message box after it saying . dern he got away! and then find the item. I think it's better to talk to people by using the action command rather than walking into them but that's just me .. took me a while to figure out where I was on the map cause I pushed left only to get a message box saying something but I didn't know it was because i was talking to someone. heh.

Okay the fights. Like when I fought the ninja . . . you shoudl get a ninja monster image. You could go into the battle character sets and find the ninja character and cut a good pose image out of there then import it into the monster group via the resource manager under tools. Then once it's there go into the monsters tab on the database (F8). Change the array size to add more monsters .. then name it . .Ninja or something. Adjust all the stats. Then go to the M. Groups tab and make out your Ninja battle. You could add a message display to pop up when you've almost defeated them and take you out of fight or something for either side. So just call that particualr mgroup fight and put a proper background or something for the area.

Here is the monster DIR from the old rpgmaker
http://users3.ev1.net/~amfest/Monster.rar

It has some man,girl, hero graphics setup as monster images. Some images might not work out too well cause the old rpgmaker wasn't sideview battle screen but 1st person view looking . .like old school dragonwarrior. You didn't see yourself just the monster in a window looking straight at them. But maybe you can make use of some of those. Best bet though is to as I said go into the battle charactersets and cut out a pose and import it ;) so you can get the proper characters attacking.

EDIT: the mixing of the tilesets is easy cause they mix up so much on their default sets. The best thing to do is find all the stuff you want on a set and cut those parts out and paste them into your own set. That way you get everything you want in one set. Then import it via the Resource Managaer ;)

EDIT 2::: keep in mind guys that anyone who doesn't have the default RTP installed can't view your games. UNLESS you know exactly what all images you're using then import them all into the game. I forgot if there is anything else you need to do. Not sure totally how rpgmaker 2003 works. Figure it's about the same. Anything you import goes into the game DIRs folders for their appropiate spot. But any images/sounds you use from the RTP dont' go into the folders . . . it just looks for the RTP to be installed and if it isn't found then the game crashes.

Matthew.v.smith
13-06-04, 11:04
Heh ok kool :)

Thanks for the feedback guys ^^
I actually diddent think about making a "Custom ninja battle"
Even if i do it will probably be a bit easy lol.

Oh well.

amfest
13-06-04, 12:14
hahaha dern you guys . . .you're making me want to make something. Sure I know tidbits on how to do this and that but I've never actually completed an actual full fledged game. I always wanted to do custom graphics and such but since I'm not really an artist :\

This little application helps to make charactersets for yourself
http://www.gamingw.net/file/util/charasex.zip

It's good for NPCs . . . although if you want to make them fight then you'll have to make custom battlesets for them. I think i'm going to use this program as a guide on creating my own sets from scatch. It seems to work nicely :) I think there is another characterset creator somewhere. Anyhow maybe I'll sit down and make a 10-20 min adventure with the default sets. Anyhow a good guide is to download games and see how they use things in them by opening them in rpgmaker. Check out www.gamingw.net (http://www.gamingw.net) to find games and tutorials. Most of the Tuts are for rpgmaker2k but most should still apply to rpgmaker 2003.

Morganth
13-06-04, 12:40
I can't get the import resource thing to work for me in Charasex. I get something in the little box on the left, and I can't get it to actually import it.

amfest
13-06-04, 13:40
Oh found a nice rpgmaker2003 game

http://plaza.ufl.edu/pehuang/Crimson.zip

Apparenntly it's 10-15 hours long gametime. A 3 year project. Wow. Apparently he made the images non openable and the exe locked so you can't just open it up.

SilentEye
13-06-04, 15:08
Hey,

Is there a way I can trigger a "Common Event" using a keypress?

S

amfest
13-06-04, 21:35
I believe so. If you downloaded that game I had just posted you'll notice the menu commands and such are switched to 1, 2, 3, 0 buttons. The custom menus are actually maps with tiles designed like menu bars and such. All the stats and such are done with variables and switches. but as to how to call it from a keypress I don't know. Check over the custom menu system tutorials (known as CMS) there. Check over the ones even titled for rpgmaker2k cause most everything still applies for that sort of thing.

Gunner_turret
03-07-04, 22:12
HELL FOR! what the, holy! its crap use gamemaker,
I made this in 5 mins
DOWNLOAD (http://www.freewebs.com/gunner_v2-2/meteor%20run!.zip)

amfest
03-07-04, 22:55
RPGmaker is just that a very simple to use RPGmaker . . . game maker on the other hand is for various styles of game and it isnt' so clear cut on how to make the style of game you want. It takes a bit more know how and reading to do. It is more powerful but in that it isn't as easy to use as RPGmaker. I've seen many use rpgmaker create all sorts of games then move to game maker and never hear from or create games again :p

Can't download your game either for some reason .. might be the crap host ;)