PDA

View Full Version : Plz someone really good at computer hardware give advise ASAP.

VetteroX
11-06-04, 02:08
OK, Im ordering my new parts to build my computer now. Im set on everything, except the heat sink. Its a heat sink for an AMD 64 3000+ Its clocked at 2ghz, and I think I might like to oc it to 2.1 ghz. (yeah I could go higher but I wanna play safe)

Ok, heres the proble, heres the heatsink I originaly wanted: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-038&depa=0

However, its sold out... and I CANT wait, my current computers screwed, im getting the parts shipped as fast as possible.

Heres the heat sink im looking at now: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=35-109-114&depa=0

Numerous sites said it was an awesome heat sink. But, read this guys comment: (he gave 5/5 stars) Good heatsink, cools quite well.

Ethereal, don't review stuff you havent used, your doing a diservice to peopel who may want this heatsink.

Yes the base of this heatsink does not cover the entire heatspreader, it is obviously not a problem for performance however. The narrowness of the base improves air flow and also makes it easyer to mount this heat sink on an Athlon 64 if you remove the heatspearder, with most other heat sinks you have to sand down the raided part of the cpu socket to get good contact. If you do remove the heatspreader and intend to use this heatsink you might have to use differnt screws to mount it however, the heatspreader is thick and you may not get enough tension with the default mounting screws.

okthis goes way beyond my knowlege.... will I really have to screw around to get this heat sin to work? or is this guy just some super hard core nut?

Should I go with this heat sink, or something else? If you have a recommendation, give it to me plz, and it would really help if its from newegg so I can order all from 1 place.

I hope someone who knows responds within an hour, Im ordering tonight no matter what.

Ransom
11-06-04, 02:39
Well afraid the obvious answer is- yes he is a nut :lol: like most overclockers. Before even considering doing that sort of thing you must be aware that it would invalidate your warrantee so there is no fail safe if you break an expensive piece of kit. If I was you I would stick with your original idea and get a heatsink designed for the cpu you are using. If the heatsink is sold out in the shop you are buying the rest of the stuff from just find it from a different store- if the US is like Britain you will probably get it all at once anyway. Besides the time you take waiting for a seperate delivery would be less than it would take for an amateur to do complex modifications anyway-and you know it would work.

Read his post and it doesn't make ring any bells, but I still work with Pentium 4s so this is just my opinion, not knowing what the 'operation' entails.

Ransom

Gotterdammerung
11-06-04, 03:04
if you buy the wrong item now, and in a months time fry your pc you'll be very angry at yourself for not buying what you had intended. Be paitent and purchase what you intended

Shujin
11-06-04, 03:26
not sure where but my brother got some kick ass deals with his new system.

he ordered these parts at a total of about 650 USD:

3.2 Ghz P4.
1gb PC3200
ATI Raedon 9800 XT ( i cant remember if it was XT or ST or somethin )
Nice ass mobo ( cant remember what kind )
Nice ass case
250gb 7200 rpm 8mb cache western digital hd.
and the city of heros game :P

its really nice imo ;] no clue where he bought from though, and honestly i dont know if that is a good price or not, but i think it is O_o

jernau
11-06-04, 03:36
I wouldn't bother with overclocking - the CPU will be blindingly fast without risking a lot of expensive kit for what will probably be an undetectable change anyway.

Get whatever heatsink/fan claims to be rated for the CPU you buy and run it all at stock settings.

If you have money to burn later then think about taking silly risks.

/edit - looking at the site you can get the Retail version of the CPU for only $12 more than the OEM and it includes a hearsink and fan - I would get that if I were you.

slaughteruall
11-06-04, 03:53
Go with your second choice. The Thermalright is a good one. I run a SLK800 on my 1700 @ 2.346 gigs. I will have 2 volcano 7's running on my dually i'm building this weekend. The volcano's are load as fuck man. Get a good 80mm fan to go with the thermalright and you will love it.

Slaughter

SPIKE (pluto)
11-06-04, 10:11
not sure where but my brother got some kick ass deals with his new system.

he ordered these parts at a total of about 650 USD:

3.2 Ghz P4.
1gb PC3200
ATI Raedon 9800 XT ( i cant remember if it was XT or ST or somethin )
Nice ass mobo ( cant remember what kind )
Nice ass case
250gb 7200 rpm 8mb cache western digital hd.
and the city of heros game :P

its really nice imo ;] no clue where he bought from though, and honestly i dont know if that is a good price or not, but i think it is O_o

probably didnt buy, probably bought the parts and had it built, i know that the parts for a comp using 2.8ghz processer and 700(about)mb ram would cost only about $400 and that includes a monitor, keyboard and mouse. Anyone with a moderate knowledge of hardware could tell you that :p

ou7blaze
11-06-04, 13:52
Check this test out on 5 heatsinks ... over here :

http://www.bit-tech.net/review/321

(this is not advertising, just trying to help ...)

Shujin
11-06-04, 17:13
probably didnt buy, probably bought the parts and had it built, i know that the parts for a comp using 2.8ghz processer and 700(about)mb ram would cost only about $400 and that includes a monitor, keyboard and mouse. Anyone with a moderate knowledge of hardware could tell you that :p
actually he did buy.... because he shipped the parts to my house because he didnt trust people in his apartment. and he didnt get a monitor or kb/mouse he used my old comp's monitor and kb/mouse.

so i guess someone with a moderate knowledge of hardware shouldnt really talk about somethin he doesnt really have knowledge on.

VetteroX
11-06-04, 17:46
I got the heat sink I originaly wanted from elsewhere... hope it comes fast.

I got an amd 64 3400
2X 512 corsair DDr400 pc3200
MSI K8T800 motherboard
7200 rpm 120 gig SATA hd (fast enough, almost double the space, and 1/2 the cost of a 10000 rpm)
mid tower case with 420 watt power supply, didnt go for style, its cheap and got good reviews. (cheap case let be upgrade to 3400.... might upgrade the psu later)
Got extra fans for cae that move almost 4000 rpm..... I want it to be a hurricane of cooling in there, screw noise, ill turn my speakers up.

Total, with fastest shipping and farcry for free, $1000 Could been just over 800 if I went for amd 64 3000 but at1000 is $200 under my limit, but in the future the extra speed should be helpful.... 3400 is only about 1% slower then the FX 51 in reviews, for 3/5 the price.

DonnyJepp
11-06-04, 17:51
Far Cry rocks man, I beat it on Realistic difficulty a couple nights ago :p

Anything less than realistic difficulty is for cowards ;)

VetteroX
11-06-04, 18:02
I know it rocks... I have downloaded and beat it.... unfortunetly... it was the french version, whichwas not mentioned before downloading.... (was only one i could find) so Im going to play again, this time actually knowing what the hell is going on.

thebee
11-06-04, 18:03
Two words. Water Cooling. Check this site out. www.frozencpu.com (http://www.frozencpu.com)

Water cooling is the ONLY overclocking safe solution