PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Feeling a bit depressed :(

Epsilon 5
10-06-04, 03:31
I have 2 computers at home, one of which i use as a webserver (sorta) so i always leave it on. Lately it's been excessively hot here and despite having all windows and blinds closed with a fan shooting wind into the computer's open case, my hard drive apparently burned out .. computer won't detect it, locks up when trying to, hard drive makes an odd noise sometimes.

Called a friend who is a technician in a computer shop and says it's most likely a mechanical failure, and unless I'm willing to pay over 1k$ to have my hard drive sent to a lab for data recovery, I'm fucked :(

On it was many texts i wrote years ago, 3D models i made, several gigs of mp3s, content of my webpage which, among other things, had several hundred screenshots of games I play or played, my password database, my archive of program installers, and many other things i needed :( :(

DonnyJepp
10-06-04, 03:33
Did you try putting it on the other PC to see if it detects it any better? It could be the controller on the other system's motherboard.

Worth a try,

Harch
10-06-04, 03:34
one word = OUCH!

cRazy2003
10-06-04, 03:35
one word = OUCH!

thats a word and an exclimation mark.

rob444
10-06-04, 03:38
Harddrive coolers IS your friend :P

Also get an aluminium chassi to get lower temperatures. And is it AMD you are using? :p

Epsilon 5
10-06-04, 03:40
Did you try putting it on the other PC to see if it detects it any better? It could be the controller on the other system's motherboard.

Worth a try,

I will try that

Harddrive coolers IS your friend :P

I'm planning on getting A/C this summer, a way or another (i live at ground level .. not very secure)

rob444
10-06-04, 03:41
You didnt answer my AMD question, is it AMD you are using? :lol:

Epsilon 5
10-06-04, 03:48
Yeah it is, i don't see the relation between the CPU brand and the hard drive though.

rob444
10-06-04, 03:53
Well.. how did I know you had AMD!?

It's not only the harddrive that is providing the heat, I had the same problem, cpu was hot as hell, harddrive1 was hot as hell, harddrive2 was hot as hell and graphiccard was hot as hell. After a while the room gets filled with this hot air and it will hurt the harddrives even more. Thats why I'm using Pentium now, Im glad I bought it,

Intel > AMD
Intel = quality
Intel = Good temperature
Aluminium chassi > all

Oooh Im going to get AMD ppl on me now, lol I dont care, Intel knows how to develop a stable processor at least. Ta ta :lol: :o :o :o :o :D

StryfeX
10-06-04, 05:45
Oooh Im going to get AMD ppl on me now, lol I dont care, Intel knows how to develop a stable processor at least. Ta ta :lol: :o :o :o :o :DYes you are. BURN IN HELL! :p (j/k) Seriously though, I think I'd rather have a CPU that was not made by a company who made a CPU that couldn't add right (Intel). o_O

Also, the new AMD FX series (AMD's top of the line "enthusiast" (read: super geek with lots of money), for you people who don't know) CPUs run cooler than the Pentium 4 EE's at stock speeds. SO HA! :p ;) :D

As for the hard drive, do as Donny says and see if another computer'll recognize it. Other than that... I guess you'll back up data now, eh? ;)

--Stryfe

DonnyJepp
10-06-04, 05:50
mirrored volumes or RAID on a server is pretty nice too. My little dual xeon server has 2-12 gig drives in it that are mirrored in case of a single failure. Win2K server does a fine job of maintaining the redundancy without needing a RAID controller.

StryfeX
10-06-04, 06:05
If you decide to use RAID, be aware that RAID 0 (striping) is touchy. One hard drive in the RAID goes out, you've just lost ALL your data in the entire RAID.

Striped mirroring (I forget the RAID number) is the way to go if you've got a large amount of disks. :D

--Stryfe

Archeus
10-06-04, 09:09
On it was many texts i wrote years ago, 3D models i made, several gigs of mp3s, content of my webpage which, among other things, had several hundred screenshots of games I play or played, my password database, my archive of program installers, and many other things i needed :( :(

One word... backup

winnoc
10-06-04, 09:11
Well, i still have a hardrive sitting at home, a maxtor 20gb, of which the cricuitboard failed, i'm waiting till i can get the same one second hand, since they don't make that one anymore, to replace the board and get my data back.

MrChumble
10-06-04, 09:21
If you can get the the bios to find it on any machine (unlikely if it's fried) there are quite a few good programs floating around the web that will do a cluster by cluster scan and retrieve whatever is salvagable.

If it's so dead that the PC just doesn't see it at all then there's not much you can do.

Backups are your friend - I personally use a spare HDD for the really important stuff and my DVD burner for stuff I want to keep but can't afford the disk space for. Not much use telling you that now, but it might help in future.

msdong
10-06-04, 09:33
Well, i still have a hardrive sitting at home, a maxtor 20gb, of which the cricuitboard failed, i'm waiting till i can get the same one second hand, since they don't make that one anymore, to replace the board and get my data back.
5 month*10€ = NEW HD data is worth allmost nothing :) k maybe yours

ichinin
10-06-04, 10:39
One word... backup

Bought a CDWriter over 2 years ago that i should do backups on.. the only thing burnt was a home video SVCD and Neocron patches :D God i'm lazy..

winnoc
10-06-04, 10:43
Dude, my hd has a shitload of old stuff on it, including some of my music from when i was 17y old.

Agent L
10-06-04, 11:19
YESTERDAY (To be sung to the tune of Yesterday - The Beatles)

Yesterday,
All those backups seemed a waste of pay
Now my database has gone away
Oh I believe in yesterday

Suddenly,
There's not half the files there used to be
And there's a deadline
hanging over me
The system crashed so suddenly.

I pushed something wrong
What it was I could not say
Now my data's gone
and I long for yesterday-ay-ay-ay.

Yesterday,
The need for back-ups seemed so far away.
Thought all my data was here to stay,
Now I believe in yesterday.

Max Jefferson
10-06-04, 11:30
I can feel your pain man, I think I have the absolute worst luck when it comes to data.

Over the past 3 years I have lost to various technical faults (all different):

3 x 60gb Hard drives (All full, all with irreplacable data)
1 x 120gb Hard drive (half full)
1 x 20gb mini USB drive (all my 1st year university work)

= 320gb of HDs lost... they hate me.

The one bonus is that all the drives were under warrenty, so I could have them replaced, companies tend to be very generous when it comes to warrenties, so you should be able to get yours replaced.

rob444
10-06-04, 16:48
Yes you are. BURN IN HELL! :p (j/k) Seriously though, I think I'd rather have a CPU that was not made by a company who made a CPU that couldn't add right (Intel). o_O

Also, the new AMD FX series (AMD's top of the line "enthusiast" (read: super geek with lots of money), for you people who don't know) CPUs run cooler than the Pentium 4 EE's at stock speeds. SO HA! :p ;) :D

As for the hard drive, do as Donny says and see if another computer'll recognize it. Other than that... I guess you'll back up data now, eh? ;)

--Stryfe

Pentium EE isnt called EXTREME Edition for nothing ;)

StryfeX
10-06-04, 18:20
Pentium EE isnt called EXTREME Edition for nothing ;)Yeah, EXTREME in price. I'll pass on paying $989 USD *minimum* (http://www.pricewatch.com/1/3/6020-1.htm) and take the AMD FX-53 instead (for a comparatively minor $733 USD (http://www.pricewatch.com/1/3/5970-1.htm)). Faster in most things at stock speeds, too (Source (http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040318/athlon-fx53-31.html)). :p

--Stryfe

Rob01m
10-06-04, 18:45
Striped mirroring (I forget the RAID number) is the way to go if you've got a large amount of disks. :D

--Stryfe

Minor correction: Striping is RAID 0, and that only uses 2 disks. The data is split between the two disks in such a way that both disks will be accessing the same file split into two parts, thus increasing speed while theoretically doubling your potential to lose the data. Two 100GB hard drives in such an array will give you 200GB of useable space...

Mirroring is RAID 1, and that sends all data to two different drives at the same time, so you have one being used, and one as a direct backup. If one drive fails, you can use the other one. The downside is you're only using one disk, so if you have two 100GB hard drives, you only get 100GB obviously.

RAID 5 is the best though, but it requires multiple hard drives. It's very smart in the way it backs up, and you can lose some drives and just have to replace them with new drives (the drive will take its place in the array) without fear of losing your data. You'd have to lose most of your drives for that to happen.

There are other types too like RAID 0+1 which uses 4 (or 3) drives... Two striping and two mirroring those two, or two striping and one double the size mirroring it.

StryfeX
10-06-04, 19:04
Minor correction: Striping is RAID 0, and that only uses 2 disks. The data is split between the two disks in such a way that both disks will be accessing the same file split into two parts, thus increasing speed while theoretically doubling your potential to lose the data. Two 100GB hard drives in such an array will give you 200GB of useable space...

Mirroring is RAID 1, and that sends all data to two different drives at the same time, so you have one being used, and one as a direct backup. If one drive fails, you can use the other one. The downside is you're only using one disk, so if you have two 100GB hard drives, you only get 100GB obviously.

RAID 5 is the best though, but it requires multiple hard drives. It's very smart in the way it backs up, and you can lose some drives and just have to replace them with new drives (the drive will take its place in the array) without fear of losing your data. You'd have to lose most of your drives for that to happen.

There are other types too like RAID 0+1 which uses 4 (or 3) drives... Two striping and two mirroring those two, or two striping and one double the size mirroring it.Thank you. :D I was never able to remember all the RAID details, as I'm sure is evident now. How many disks can RAID 5 support?

--Stryfe

Rob01m
10-06-04, 19:14
Thank you. :D I was never able to remember all the RAID details, as I'm sure is evident now. How many disks can RAID 5 support?

--Stryfe

I just listed the most common types today. There are still RAID 2, 3, 4, etc..

As far as how many disks can be used in RAID 5? It depends on your controller I guess, with as few as 3 disks. The most I've seen on a single controller was support for 10 disks, but I haven't done much research into that.

Judge
10-06-04, 19:16
So... you could have two hard-drives striping to increase your speed. Then have two more hard-drives mirroring those two... right? Does the mirroring slow things down, as wouldn't the computer have to save things twice?

(I'm getting a new computer as a welldone for getting through GCSEs present from parents so I need info. :p)

Rob01m
10-06-04, 19:28
So... you could have two hard-drives striping to increase your speed. Then have two more hard-drives mirroring those two... right? Does the mirroring slow things down, as wouldn't the computer have to save things twice?

(I'm getting a new computer as a welldone for getting through GCSEs present from parents so I need info. :p)

The RAID setup you are referring to is RAID 0+1 (Some controllers might call it RAID 10) and no it wouldn't slow down anything because today's controllers are smart. The controller receives the information and sends it to two places instead of one, the connections are separate. It's like a two lane highway, you don't have two cars going down one lane, they are side by side. :)

tomparadox
10-06-04, 20:18
Pentium EE isnt called EXTREME Edition for nothing ;)
yep=p

i dont like AMD:( i had a bad expirense with them...

steweygrrr
10-06-04, 20:26
yep=p

i dont like AMD:( i had a bad expirense with them...

Im the opposite. Never had ANY problems with AMD and I would recommend it over a pentium any day

Crucificio
10-06-04, 20:32
My recommendations:

1. Always back up important or hard to replace stuff to backup CD's. Doesn't take long and will save you headaches when data loss does occurr. I can't count how many times backup CD's have saved me from impending doom.

2. Maybe once a week or so, backup the ENTIRE contents of your hard drive onto another hard drive. That way when one burns out or gets too many bad sectors, just swap in the back up hard drive and voila, you are running smooth again.

slaughteruall
10-06-04, 20:43
Well.. how did I know you had AMD!?

It's not only the harddrive that is providing the heat, I had the same problem, cpu was hot as hell, harddrive1 was hot as hell, harddrive2 was hot as hell and graphiccard was hot as hell. After a while the room gets filled with this hot air and it will hurt the harddrives even more. Thats why I'm using Pentium now, Im glad I bought it,

Intel > AMD
Intel = quality
Intel = Good temperature
Aluminium chassi > all

Oooh Im going to get AMD ppl on me now, lol I dont care, Intel knows how to develop a stable processor at least. Ta ta :lol: :o :o :o :o :D
Thats funny my AMD OC'd to hell and back runs cooler then my old roommates INTEL on water which was only slightly OC'd. AMD runs hot? Thats news to me. My 1700 runs at 38c full load and is OC'd to 2.346. AMD does more work per clock then INTEL does.

Pentium EE isnt called EXTREME Edition for nothing
The P4EE is just a OC'd P4 with more cache that is really about it. Overprieced like usual.

I love my AMD systems. Only way i will go back to INTEL is if AMD goes under.

Slaughter

Judge
10-06-04, 22:14
I've had good experiences with AMD so far... only thing I've noticed is that my mates intel (of pretty much the same mhz processor) is distinctly better at running alot of programs at once. Is that normally the case? Or is my RAM just shite (I think it is)?

Epsilon 5
10-06-04, 23:18

--Stryfe

i tried, and sadly it doesn't work. computers locks up at POST just before it says detecting IDE drives ... and ys, no more lazyness, backups are my friend ...

Xylaz
11-06-04, 01:07
YESTERDAY (To be sung to the tune of Yesterday - The Beatles)

Yesterday,
All those backups seemed a waste of pay
Now my database has gone away
Oh I believe in yesterday

Suddenly,
There's not half the files there used to be
And there's a deadline
hanging over me
The system crashed so suddenly.

I pushed something wrong
What it was I could not say
Now my data's gone
and I long for yesterday-ay-ay-ay.

Yesterday,
The need for back-ups seemed so far away.
Thought all my data was here to stay,
Now I believe in yesterday.

Hehehehehe, this is awesome, really. But most people probably dont know this song neither the band...

tomparadox
11-06-04, 06:17
Im the opposite. Never had ANY problems with AMD and I would recommend it over a pentium any day
well, ill put it this way, my AMD machine, was a bit newer than my pentium 2 machine: pentium 2: 350 Mhz AMD:550, the pentium 2 has lasted 10 - 11 years or so, the AMD lasted,mmm, about 4 most... changed the HD, the gfx card, CDrom DR, more ram. nuthing seemed to fix it, a month after reformating, it was fucked up again, giveing me virtural mem errors out the ass, scaned it for viruses, nuthing, trojens, nuthing...

jernau
11-06-04, 06:32
Pentium EE isnt called EXTREME Edition for nothing ;)The Reg had that POS marked right - Emergency Edition.

As in "Oh shit guys we suck and so do all our CPUs, how much cache can we solder onto one of these fuckers and still fit it under the fan?"

/edit @Epsilon - Does the drive spin-up at all? If you put your hand on it as you turn the PC on you should be able to feel it if it does though you may have to get it out the bay and onto a flat surface to be sure.

/edit2 @tomsparadox - How did you get hold of a PII-350 at least 4 years before Intel started making them? Can I borrow you time machine?

StryfeX
11-06-04, 06:50
The Reg had that POS marked right - Emergency Edition.

As in "Oh shit guys we suck and so do all our CPUs, how much cache can we solder onto one of these fuckers and still fit it under the fan?"You forgot to add the "and not have it go into thermal meltdown as soon as it's turned on" part. :p

@Epsilon... I think it's official... you're screwed unless you want to pay the money and send it to someone like DriveSavers.

--Stryfe

tomparadox
11-06-04, 06:57
/edit2 @tomsparadox - How did you get hold of a PII-350 at least 4 years before Intel started making them? Can I borrow you time machine? wtf? dude the computer is like 8 - 10 years old, and it has 350 MHZ in it, with a pentium something, i dont know if its 2 or not but its pentium something... and even still its outlasted my AMD by over 3 years..

eather way, IMo AMD sucks ass, the only AMD i would ever try is there 64 bit...

jernau
11-06-04, 06:59
wtf? dude the computer is like 8 - 10 years old, and it has 350 MHZ in it, with a pentium something, i dont know if its 2 or not but its pentium something... and even still its outlasted my AMD by over 3 years..

eather way, IMo AMD sucks ass, the only AMD i would ever try is there 64 bit...
http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/19980730/

Why you threw out a CPU that was almost twice as fast I can't say, I guess some people just like the pain.

tomparadox
11-06-04, 07:05
http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/19980730/

Why you threw out a CPU that was almost twice as fast I can't say, I guess some people just like the pain.
well your about dense... i still have the AMD, i jest dont use it, i use pentium 4. and quit critisizeing me on it, its geting on my nervs...

jernau
11-06-04, 07:07
well your about dense... i still have the AMD, i jest dont use it, i use pentium 4. and quit critisizeing me on it, its geting on my nervs...
:wtf:

I corrected you on one point. If you can't handle that you might not want to be on the internet let alone these forums.

tomparadox
11-06-04, 07:11
im not talking about you correcting me, im talking about this,

Why you threw out a CPU that was almost twice as fast I can't say, I guess some people just like the pain. and eather way, it still dosent thro off my point that the AMD computer dosent work , and the intel dose, and the intel is almost 2 times slower, WAY less space, WAY less ram, it only has a 16 MB gfx card, infact, wev never had to format the damn thing, wev never had to add new shit to it, nuthing has EVER gone wrong with it, when the AMD fucked up every other month...

jernau
11-06-04, 07:15
im not talking about you correcting me, im talking about this,

and eather way, it still dosent thro off my point that the AMD computer dosent work , and the intel dose, and the intel is almost 2 times slower, WAY less space, WAY less ram, it only has a 16 MB gfx card, infact, wev never had to format the damn thing, wev never had to add new shit to it, nutherin has EVER gone wrong with it, when the AMD fucked up every other month...
It sounds like you just had a duff PC. I can assure you plenty of people have had similar experiences with Intel based systems.

If you can show me a benchmark that puts a PII 350 even close to the speed of an Athlon 550 you can have a million credits on Saturn.

tomparadox
11-06-04, 07:20
well , i cant, your right, ill admin that the amd 550 is faster, but i dont need 1 million credits on saturn O_o, no offence, but i hate saturn ^^ =p i play uranus ( yea i know you probly hate uranus) but thats were all my m8s from beta whent, that or pluto, eather way im rich on eather server...

jernau
11-06-04, 07:21
Why would I hate Uranus? There's lots of cool people on Uranus.

tomparadox
11-06-04, 07:24
Why would I hate Uranus? There's lots of cool people on Uranus. O_O, forgive me then, most people i talk to from saturn hate uranus :p

anyway if were ganna continu this beter do it in PM were hyijackin this dudes thred ^^

LiL T
11-06-04, 08:44
Put the hard drive in the frezzer for 1 hr reconnect it straight away and get the data off it before it warms up try that.

Judge
11-06-04, 13:41
Is that a recognised technique LilT? :p

winnoc
11-06-04, 14:02
Yeah, it's called : "The frigid bitch technique" :-)

I've heard it can work on bad harddisks, who are of old age.

jernau
11-06-04, 17:41
It gets offered as advice a lot but IME it's never worked.