PDA

View Full Version : APW's

Saza
08-06-04, 23:22
The spies are supposed be the masters of technology. With the introduction of holovests and stealth, this is starting to become a reality. But I don't think it's enough yet.

So I think the Silent Hunter needs to become an All Purpose Weapon (APW). There needs to be more ammo types so that spies have a larger role. So heres what I propose.

Soul - Removes deflector
Doped - Adds a small drug flash
Tracer - Makes the victim appear on the zone/world map as a flashing dot, visible only to the person who fired the weapon. The dot stays on the person for 3 minutes, or until they die.
Ice - Adds small para effect.
Devastator - Removes Heal.

Now here's the thing - adding one of these special mods (which is what the above mods, plus spirit mods, are) to your Silent Hunter massively takes down the damage of the rifle, unless you are using bullets of one of the standard types. You can, however, mod you SH with as many of these mods as you like, as long as you have the slots.

The advantages:
Gives the spies more technology and a bigger role in PvP.
Makes the silent hunter a more versatile weapon.
Gives Rifle spies a larger advantage at range.
Tracer bullets give the spy an all new role - tracker.

Now to compensate I think pistol spies should be given an APW, the "Tech Tool", only available from TechHaven. (Or perhaps, if KK haven't decided on one already, make this the FA epic reward :D). This also can have all the above mods on, plus spirit, but does less damage, much less range, yet is faster firing.

These mods should be dropped in perhaps say the DoY tunnels, or from very high level mobs. They should be quite rare, as to prevent them from becoming a massive thing overnight.

Please post all opinions, thoughts, criticsm or praise below.

-FN-
08-06-04, 23:52
5 Stars

Soul - Removes deflector - Love it.
Doped - Adds a small drug flash - Like it, but it shouldn't stack.
Tracer - Makes the victim appear on the zone/world map as a flashing dot, visible only to the person who fired the weapon. The dot stays on the person for 3 minutes, or until they die. - Love it. Could it somehow be incorporated into a True Sight effect?
Ice - Adds small para effect. - I don't mind, but the world will hate it, so I'd ditch this one.
Devastator - Removes Heal. - Love it. Just like the Skeeter or Raptor or whatever does it now.

Only one mod should be installable per SH however. And they should all be randomly dropped by MORE PLAYER "GMs" or whatever this guy is who runs around killin people.

Birkoff
09-06-04, 00:03
I'm in 2 minds.

Some of that seems overpowered but lots of things that have been implemented i thought would be but arn't.

I think anti heal would be.

Very nice idea though saza even if u are traitor *chuckle*

Mumblyfish
09-06-04, 00:04
I... I don't know. I just don't think spies need any kind of boost, and making the only useful spy a tech-combat rifle spy just makes me uneasy.

Psychoninja
09-06-04, 00:21
I like the Tracer, mainly because it's more "Tech" and not anti magic like the rest.

IMO there are already too many ways to counter Passive Spells, and we don't really need more.

Saza
09-06-04, 07:37
I like the Tracer, mainly because it's more "Tech" and not anti magic like the rest.

IMO there are already too many ways to counter Passive Spells, and we don't really need more.
But why must all of these be given to the APU? The spies aren't there to fight, thats been established, so they should be there for support. The APUs should be the ones out there dealing damage along with the tanks and PEs, not anti-buffing/anti-healing.

@ Mumbly, this isn't a boost for the spies really, its giving them a larger role on the battlefield. Only the very best spies have an impact in which way a fight will swing - generally they are discounted from the amount of viable fighters in an OP war team :rolleyes: . I know I usually am been.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Shadow Dancer
09-06-04, 07:44
So I think the Silent Hunter needs to become an All Purpose Weapon (APW). There needs to be more ammo types so that spies have a larger role. So heres what I propose.

What about pistol spies? I mean I like this idea, but I don't think pistoleros should be left out in the cold.

Soul - Removes deflector
Tracer - Makes the victim appear on the zone/world map as a flashing dot, visible only to the person who fired the weapon. The dot stays on the person for 3 minutes, or until they die.

1.Great idea. But will this actually help? How about bypasses deflector?

2.I like this idea, as long as it doesn't stack.

3.I *love* this idea.

4.NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! God.

5.Oooooo, I think this is a great idea.

I like the way you think. Everybody thinks boosting a class is just about making their weapons do more damage. :rolleyes:

So I think the SilenPurpose Weapon (APW).
Now to compensate I think pistol spies t Hunter needs to become an All should be given an APW, the "Tech Tool", only available from TechHaven. (Or perhaps, if KK haven't decided on one already, make this the FA epic reward :D). This also can have all the above mods on, plus spirit, but does less damage, much less range, yet is faster firing.

These mods should be dropped in perhaps say the DoY tunnels, or from very high level mobs. They should be quite rare, as to prevent them from becoming a massive thing overnight.

Please post all opinions, thoughts, criticsm or praise below.

Oh ok. I like your idea for pistoleros. Sorry for rushing your post, :p.

I like the idea of it dropping in the DOY tunnels. I don't think it should be UBARLY rare. Antibuff isn't UBARLY rare for apus. Parashock/cath sact isn't for ppus. It would be silly to make one of the spy's special skills so extremely rare such that only 4-5 spies have it.

Anyways great ideas, except the freezer mod. I think spies should have alot more technological tools available to them. I don't see anything wrong with more counters to passive spells, since PPUs still influence PvP so damn heavily so they shouldn't complain when they get special weapons just for them. :D

Lucid Dream
09-06-04, 07:50
Very sexy ideas - however

anti-heal.. a bit much imo we can already take away shelter, giving the ability to take away shelter, deflector, and heal, with one character seems a bit overpowered, especially the way the SH fires.

and the tracer... i do like the idea, but it would be tough to incorporate with existing game technology, what i would reccomend instead, is something that makes it so that the person that fired the shot, would see an effect similar to the stealth effect (when you are close enough obviously) only solid, much brighter, and red or something, also, the person that fired the shot should not be able to target the person they hit after targetting them, just be able to lead others to him...

amfest
09-06-04, 07:51
Mechs!

and droners should get robotic vehicles they can control . .and in some cases actually house them.

Psychoninja
09-06-04, 07:59
There are too many ways to counter PPUs already. Leave them alone.

Debuffing someone is an aggressive action, hence why APUs can debuff. I like the idea of magic vs. magic rather than tech vs. magic.

Shadow Dancer
09-06-04, 08:05
There are too many ways to counter PPUs already. Leave them alone.

Too many ways? Please name them. IMO the only "real" way of countering a ppu is antibuff. How many ppus die to the raptor? How many ppus die to the SH mod? I bet it's like 4 lol. How many ppus die to antibuff? Not enough. :p

But seriously, antibuff is the only real counter so far. Even then against a good ppu you need to shock his ass multiple times while having a team of people to kill him. If he's really good I mean.

Too many counters.... :lol:

Very sexy ideas - however

anti-heal.. a bit much imo we can already take away shelter, giving the ability to take away shelter, deflector, and heal, with one character seems a bit overpowered, especially the way the SH fires.

Well he would need 3 SHs for that. :eek:

and the tracer... i do like the idea, but it would be tough to incorporate with existing game technology, what i would reccomend instead, is something that makes it so that the person that fired the shot, would see an effect similar to the stealth effect (when you are close enough obviously) only solid, much brighter, and red or something, also, the person that fired the shot should not be able to target the person they hit after targetting them, just be able to lead others to him...

Bah, so the spy can't do anything to the person he targets? Booooo. It should be useful to the spy as well if he's alone. :p

ichinin
09-06-04, 09:41
Love the tracer thing. Would like some more non-lethals added so a spy can go in/out of DoY/Neocron city in a more DeusEx-ian way. Doesn't kill the enemy, but maby parashock em, make em drunk or so for a few just to be able to escape with a valuable datacube to his/her faction hq.

More such stuff!

Wallen
09-06-04, 09:51
Mmmk, for all the people thinking this would be a bad idea, you forgot how slow the SH fires! I mean c'mon, there's not way a spy is going to be able to effectively use any of these mods alone. I mean, the spy basically has to choose one, and then, if the person is running too fast, or if he randomly misses, it takes another couple of seconds before he even has a chance to try again. Plus, the spy would also need to either constantly be switching ammo or carrying around multiple SH's for this to work well.

I like these ideas very much. How about for the tracer in addition to showing up on the map they also show up with a little Team tag that shows you where they are (like your teammates), so if you're in an opfight and you want to keep track of just one player you can tag them and then always see where they are in relation to you.
I still don't understand the pistol version of this, because from what I read it sounds like a high RoF low dmg version of the SH witht the same proposed mods, which would totally not work. Any higher rof than what the SH already is would just be broken.

Liebestoter
09-06-04, 09:55
Too many ways to counter PPUs? ROFLOLOLOLOlolOLoLoLAOdmfosajoAHAHAHAH!!1!one

I musta missed the day they passed out the 'How To Counter PPUs - Volume One' manuals at CM basic training.

Omnituens
09-06-04, 12:23
Before KK start adding mods like these, they need to look at the SH itself. It needs a complete overhaul

1. "instant" hit bullets - none of this curvy terrain hitting nonsense
2. proper clip and bullets
3. SILENT Hunter. I think you all know what i mean.
4. The damn damage cap needs to be sorted on hitzones so the SH can do what its supposed to be able to do
5. stop the weapon locking up, seems to happen alot more since #199

THEN you can start adding more mods.

J. Folsom
09-06-04, 12:27
3. SILENT Hunter. I think you all know what i mean.What? You mean a sniper rifle shouldn't sound like a shotgun? BLASPHEMY!

slaughteruall
09-06-04, 14:48
nope dont like them.

Slaughter

slaughteruall
09-06-04, 14:49
Too many ways to counter PPUs? ROFLOLOLOLOlolOLoLoLAOdmfosajoAHAHAHAH!!1!one

I musta missed the day they passed out the 'How To Counter PPUs - Volume One' manuals at CM basic training.

There is your problem your a CM.

Slaughter

garyu69
09-06-04, 14:59
Its ok, but i would still like to see the Sniper Rifle become a Low Tech weapon.

Now if something like this were to be implemented that would make the gun a definite High Tech rifle.

Maybe have restrictions on the ammo to require some High Tech, but make the gun Low Tech

Wallen
09-06-04, 21:17
^^^^^ You just want your sucky rifle PE to be able to use it :p .

Saza
09-06-04, 21:36
nope dont like them.

Slaughter
Care to say why? Criticism is constructive, but not when you give no reason to your thoughts.

@ All the people who don't like para bullets, I said a small effect, not the absolute screw-over that is paralysis, perhaps similar to effect of the other freezers. However, yes I agree very much that this has a chance of unbalancing the game further, so it really needs to be tested.

I also think it would be cool if tracers could be attached to vehicles as well.

Thanks for all the comments guys, nice to know that changes that I thought would be absouletly smashed by the community are actually being accepted :D .

-=BlackBeard=-
10-06-04, 15:14
<3 it *****

slaughteruall
10-06-04, 15:32
Soul - Removes deflector

You wanted why here it is.
You already have something to remove shelter. You dont need to remove def also.
Overpowering to see where someone is on the world map. Come on now. Not even on the zone map. I MAYBE could go with the local map but still dont even like that to much.
Another para nice. You want it use a freezer rifle thats what they are there for. Dont like it tough shit use it or dont.
Removing a heal nope see why i didn't want you to remove a def. Removing a heal is what we have droners for.

This is a team based game (at least it is now) so play as a team. You want to remove heals make a droner. You want to freeze someone make a PPU. You want to remove def make a APU. You see where this is going dont you. Deal with it man.

Slaughter

VetteroX
10-06-04, 15:50
No, spies are already too powerful. My pistol spy is deadly, and can take a good beating. Not only that, but he can hack and has tons of int left over for another trade skill. When I was fighting the mercs at MB with my tank, I was crushing them, the only thing that hurt me was a spy shooting me with silent hunter... stealth still needs a nerf, and still hasnt gotten one. With hacknet and aircraft in DoY, and now that they are good in combat, spies will be by far the most popular and numerous class. Your getting new stuff in DoY... you dont needs weapons making the spy even more annoying.

To all you people if your a spy and you cant take 8 CS bursts, or several fire apocs, or kill most tanks or pes 1vs1, thats YOUR fualt, not the classes fualt, the potential is there, you find it.

And parashock and drug flash are 2 of the least fun, most annoying effects in the game.. I dont want more ways to get them.

Aziraphale
10-06-04, 15:58
Before KK start adding mods like these, they need to look at the SH itself. It needs a complete overhaul

1. "instant" hit bullets - none of this curvy terrain hitting nonsense
2. proper clip and bullets
3. SILENT Hunter. I think you all know what i mean.
4. The damn damage cap needs to be sorted on hitzones so the SH can do what its supposed to be able to do
5. stop the weapon locking up, seems to happen alot more since #199

THEN you can start adding more mods.

...Will you marry me?

HOG
10-06-04, 16:10
in response to the first post i think that those would be a bad idea..those ammo mods would totally unbalance the game. op wars would become a matter of spy target practice instead of real fights... and spys already have that spirit mod =).

Saza
10-06-04, 19:20
Removing a heal nope see why i didn't want you to remove a def. Removing a heal is what we have droners for.

Personally I think this is a very good point, as it gives droners a bigger role.

However, to all you're other points, I say that we have to FEW ways of killing PPUs. Spies are good at one thing atm, and thats reconaisance/intelligence. But we dont have any counter-intelligence in the game right now, which the tracer mod will add. The other mods are adding more ways to counter an aspect, so classes don't become relied on to win fights.

If the one side brings PPUs, the other HAS to bring APUs to counteract them. This makes APUs have to be there to win (exxagreated slightly, I know, but you get my point.)

Now personally I think certain classes shouldn't be relied on, but each should have their merits which make them useful. Spies only have the one I stated above currently, plus a lot of range. But even then they are the least effective class.

Oh and I think the idea being able to equip only one of these mods probably is a more balanced way of going about it, so I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Shadow Dancer
10-06-04, 19:25
Now personally I think certain classes shouldn't be relied on, but each should have their merits which make them useful.

KK make Saza a dev. thnx

Saza
10-06-04, 19:28
KK make Saza a dev. thnx
Hahaha :lol:

I wouldn't know what to do. And I have too many enemies to actually have any influence on people.

But it's nice to be appreciated :D.