PDA

View Full Version : How much of a problem is a dodgy voltage level?

Scikar
08-06-04, 19:21
I recently found a possible problem with power supply. I found a monitor program on my motherboard driver disk so I installed it and checked the readouts, and immediately started getting warning bleeps. Turns out the -12V voltage is currently reading -13.4V. Everything else falls within normal readings, this is the only one. So the question is, how much of a problem is it? I haven't experienced any problems with stability or malfunctions, and I don't really want to go through all the hassle of sending off a faulty PSU to get a replacement, or wasting money on a new one which isn't needed. So I'm looking for advice - am I safe or do I need a replacement?

ghandisfury
08-06-04, 19:30
A high voltage reading on any part of a board will eat away at it like a cancer. If you have high voltage at one point, then chances are you have it further up stream and all over you PC. High voltage=dead stuff.

Ghandi Electrical engineer.

subsys
08-06-04, 19:31
your -12 line tends to be used by the more hardy parts of your machine anyway, i wouldent say its to much of a problem as long as its stable, only other thing i would ask is how long has it been running at that voltage if its been like that for a while and youve had no problems then its obviously not a major problem or your machine would be screeming, if its only just started reading as that and was in range before hand its a sign your psu is on the way out.

with voltages stability is the key usually :) but yea over volts will shorten the life span of your kit.

rob444
08-06-04, 19:31
I think you are safe actually :)

Scikar
08-06-04, 19:34
Well I've been checking it all day and it's not changed at all, the detailed readout shows -13.35V solid and hasn't changed a bit. It's a fairly new system as well, so I guess it must have been at that level for a while. I think I'll see if swapping some of the power supply cables for the drives and fans over helps. Thanks guys.

n3m
08-06-04, 19:38
I'd say within 1,5volts you would be ok, don't quote me on that though ;)

with what do you read the voltages btw? program in windows? if so tried others and looked in bios aswell?

rob444
08-06-04, 19:38
The program could also be configured wrong or for an entirely other system. For example "speedfan" wasnt really configurated well as default, warnings came as soon as I started the program, I just needed to config the warning levels a bit :P

subsys
08-06-04, 19:49
as n3m says bios should in theroy be the closest to reality, mbm5 is one of the best windows proggys imo, but hay each to there own and all that :)

of course the best way to test voltages would be to get the multimeter out but thats not really advisable while the psu is actually in a system :P

ou7blaze
08-06-04, 21:11
well what brand is ur PSU ?

Max Jefferson
08-06-04, 21:18
I had the same problem a while back, I just kept leaving it and leaving it, until I started getting regular blue screens and hard freezes. I got a new power supply and that fixed it.

500 watt power supply - £15.27 (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=491180773&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=61310)

Thats what I got, and it's been absolutely fine since then.

Good luck.

Agent L
08-06-04, 21:28
1)onboard voltimeters reading can be falsed by wrong reading by program, that's first, second is that voltimeters are more for fun and advertisment then any real use, they mostly show slipped resutls., and for third - does modern mobos even use -12V and -5 lines ??

So you won't know what voltage really is until you take real voltimeter and touch ground and -12 pins with probes.
Also take a look into mobo specifications for power consuption details on each line. Maybe -12 isn't used to anything more than measurment.

500 watt power supply - £15.27 (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=491180773&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=61310)
uhm, noname 500W for 15Ł . I'd stay as far away from it as possible

Max Jefferson
08-06-04, 21:39
uhm, noname 500W for 15Ł . I'd stay as far away from it as possibleThat's what I though, then bought it thinking "what the hell" and it's been great, better then the one that came with my case originally.

Lexxuk
08-06-04, 21:41
Dodgy Power Supply, its what you get when you purchase stuff from DelBoy Trotter >.<

I went for the Q-Tek gold, with 2 fans thingies, its quiet, lush, and nice, found out I didnt need tochange PSU though, my mobo was screwed O_o

Agent L
08-06-04, 21:50
yeah, usually everything is better then one that came with case : D

You know what Lexx, Q-Tecs have very bad opinion here and I encoutered a quote on some forum "You know, in UK they actually think Q-Tecs are quite ok" : D
Not that they you are wrong and we are right or another way, just funny, how facts confirm gossips : P

subsys
08-06-04, 22:49
yeah, usually everything is better then one that came with case : D

i got a shiny chieftec psu with my case you gonna dis that? :P
and yea no offence lex but the q-tec 500 i had was a pile of shite, the lines were all over the place :) also i dont think any main componants use -12 these days its mostly a legacy from the AT days if i remember correctly

Lexxuk
08-06-04, 23:01
I'm not usin the 500, I got the 400, and the power thruput is steady, variation is like 0.03 max

subsys
08-06-04, 23:10
wasnt ment personally lex :P

currently im running a pair of chieftec 360watts one for the componants one for fans and lights :D got both the psu's free and i couldent afford a decent 550 ^^

Lexxuk
08-06-04, 23:12
I'm pretty happy with mine, though annoyed I didnt really need to buy it, was a faulty mobo i'd bought :(