PDA

View Full Version : I want to change my accent - help!!

Opar
07-06-04, 22:44
Well, basiclly, after much thought (umm... 2 minutes?) I've decided to drop my annoying Yorkshire accent. Basiclly, I dont like it. Simple as. Its too.... too.... um... rough? I mean, wtf does 'ee bah gum' mean anyway? And I dont like how we miss letters of the ends of words!!!

So basiclly, im ditching my evil accent for something more 'civilised', I guess.

Any suggestions on good accents? Or tips on how to 'ditch' an accent? Im pretty good at putting on voices/impressions, but I doubt that will help.

If Patrick Stewart can do it, so can I!

PS - Dont laugh ^_^

INFERNO22
07-06-04, 22:47
im laughing with you here not at you ROFLMaO Oo

Um... maybe you could listen to your voice on a recording and then listen to somone elses voice ( with a diff accent Duh..) and listen to how they end there words and prenounce them :)

Tratos
07-06-04, 22:53
Go live somwhere else for a while :) heh

Went to austraila for 6 weeks you may not think thats very long but bloody hell i sounded odd when i got home, rofl

Although your about the same age as me so moving somwhere else isnt really an option O_o

Ermm..... Just keep doing impressions and shiznit

Opar
07-06-04, 22:53
My voice scares me. I'll get scared if I listen to a recording of myself......

P4mp3rk3
07-06-04, 22:55
get a scottish accent... I love scottish..

ufora
07-06-04, 22:55
if some one hot had liz hurleys accent i would want to fuck her all day long

cRazy2003
07-06-04, 22:57
speak scottish, it involves the following words, sounds and phrases:

'HAG'
'ACH!'
'COONT'
'AROOT THEE NOO'
ACH AYE THEH NOOO'
'GARG'

so on and so-forth, unfortunatly.

INFERNO22
07-06-04, 22:58
get a scottish accent... I love scottish..

My God the nightmare on comms.................... we have lots of accents on our comms its quite interesting to listen to them cos theres scottish ones irish ,sweedish,finish ,(GB) down south ones ,different types of american ones

ufora
07-06-04, 23:00
My God the nightmare on comms.................... we have lots of accents on our comms its quite interesting to listen to them cos theres scottish ones irish ,sweedish,finish ,(GB) down south ones ,different types of american ones

its worse on vent when proxy, mallo, punisher, starman, skelly, swelly etcetc are all speaking their whacky european languages

COLD
07-06-04, 23:00
find a teamspeak or vent. server with some of us hicks from the Southeast part of U.S. and try to mimic us. I find that alot of Northerners find our accents mildly amusing. ;)

Opar
07-06-04, 23:03
I dont want an American accent. No offence ^_^

I want to completely get rid of Yorkshire accents. Except when it comes to sports. When im playing Rugby and watching soprts on the Tele I want my yorkshireness to shine through ^_^

FuzzyDuck
07-06-04, 23:38
Aparantly 93% of people that move to Vancoover come back with the accent.

(And no, American accents are not the same as Canadian).

Dribble Joy
07-06-04, 23:40
My voice scares me. I'll get scared if I listen to a recording of myself......
I hate the way I sound.
Last time I was on TS I got told I sounded like Mr. Bean :(.

jiga
07-06-04, 23:42
You should adopt my accent. It's an Oxford/Danish accent :P.

Tratos
07-06-04, 23:43
speak scottish, it involves the following words, sounds and phrases:

'HAG'
'ACH!'
'COONT'
'AROOT THEE NOO'
ACH AYE THEH NOOO'
'GARG'

so on and so-forth, unfortunatly.
And not forgetting

'ah ye' fa' bassa'

roughyl translated to

Ah you fat bastard, lol

Oh and Canadian accents rule!, eh, cough

Just get on some sort os teamspeak, or get me, mumblyfish and Crazy to talk at you continuously and you'll be a geordie in about 10 mins

Clownst0pper
07-06-04, 23:54
The best way is to make a conscious effort to avoid the yorkshire slang.

As im from the country, alot of people find my accent refreshing, they find it more approachable and chatty.

If im going to an interview however, I just speak RP and drop my accent completely.

Its context based, but takes practice.