PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Knowing the difference between RP and RL

-FN-
07-06-04, 20:46
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/29/1085641765286.html

I'm scared. So very scared. Had I read this BEFORE the SXR Summit, I would not have gone.

naimex
07-06-04, 20:49
ok that is seriously SICK !

and itīs a wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong thing to do !

plague
07-06-04, 20:50
lol that's f****d up, kids these days got nothing better to do.....

-FN-
07-06-04, 20:54
Kinda makes you think though a bit tho...

Manchester Crown Court heard detectives studied 58,000 lines of internet text to break down the boys' account and show that John, who surfed the net for seven hours at a time...

They say that like 7 hours is... a lot or something. How many hours a day are we at a computer? Probably talking to other people online? Then magnify it to those who actually RP in an RPG... if your mind isn't healthy enough to seriously keep what you can verify to be real, separate to an 'online' life... that's just scary and you perhaps should find something else to do with your time O_o

naimex
07-06-04, 20:56
Kinda makes you think though a bit tho...

They say that like 7 hours is... a lot or something. How many hours a day are we at a computer? Probably talking to other people online? Then magnify it to those who actually RP in an RPG... if your mind isn't healthy enough to seriously keep what you can verify to be real, separate to an 'online' life... that's just scary and you perhaps should find something else to do with your time O_o

I said it in some thread a while back..

the biggest challenge in role playing, is to keep it separated from your reality.. or you will go insane.

J. Folsom
07-06-04, 21:00
That's interestingly disturbing.

Must've been highly imbalanced however, I mean, RP is one thing, RL is another. I don't even have to make an effort to keep the two seperate, they just are.

ghandisfury
07-06-04, 22:02
That is terrifying! I remember when I was doing my 4th tour in Nam we used to play a game called D&D (that's duck and dodge to those of you who weren't there). There was a fine gentlemen by the name of John manfredmengenson that didn't duck....and most certainly didn't dodge when we were under heavy enemy fire...I wonder if these two could somehow be related? o_O

Dajuda
07-06-04, 22:42
FN, we're still meeting behind your house in the alley on the 29th right?

-FN-
07-06-04, 22:48
Of course silly Daj. You still want me to bring my grandpa's WW II Luger collection, right?

Opar
07-06-04, 23:08
Jesus.... thats just wrong.

7 hours is a bit noobish though. Considering people can stay on for more than 24 hours a time.

GOD SAVE PERMA-CONNECTIONS!

Dribble Joy
07-06-04, 23:26
Thing is, when I RP, I put my own charater/personality into the situation that my char is in.
My char is me, but as if I was a merc in the 28th century.
If you meet me online, it's the same 'person' as the one behind the desk.

Moscow
07-06-04, 23:36
It's not just Roleplay that has to be kept seperate from real life; it's gaming in general as well.

Just a look over these forums makes me worried. People taking pleasure in ruining others' game experiences, bragging about hurting their feelings, nearly every second post making some inane reference to blood and gore, etc....etc.

Probably pointing out the blindingly obvious here, but I needed to fill out my post somehow. :p

Peace.

-Moscow

Judge
07-06-04, 23:46
I'm kinda like Dribble... though I'm starting to branch off from my character now. As I hate religion and Drikie is a religious fanatic who belives that Crahn talks to her.

plague
07-06-04, 23:50
crahn talk's to me too evry other night i hear the voice of visdom and pride sayind that the time of prosperity and wealth is near, hes return is close.......

:wtf: 8| :eek: :rolleyes: :p :D .....

-FN-
07-06-04, 23:51
crahn talk's to me too evry other night i hear the voice of visdom and pride sayind that the time of prosperity and wealth is near, hes return is close.......

:wtf: 8| :eek: :rolleyes: :p :D .....

/refers to plague's avatar...

ou7blaze
08-06-04, 08:50
"John's mother told the court he now had a wider circle of friends, including a girlfriend."

O_o

subsys
08-06-04, 09:06
i suppose this is a perfect example of dont beleve everything (or as paranoid ole me thinks about it ANYTHING) you see online.

the guy "mark" must have been fairly gullible to beleve a) he was talking to a female teenage who was member of the intelegence community, after all DI5 wont employ anyone under 21 to start off with and b) that someone from said oranization would order an illegal exicution from a teanager in a chatroom.

Vampire222
08-06-04, 09:12
wow that guy has class roleplaying style hahaha