PDA

View Full Version : anyone here now anything about aol networking or networking in general?

ufora
04-06-04, 20:59
i have network cards in both pc's, and a dsl router as well as the aol box thing. the ntl man installed the white box thing on the wall and i can use broadband thru that but i need to use broadband on another pc too but i dont know what to do.

i have the speed touch router wich aparently has its own dsl modem inside. when i plug the phone wire from the dsl filter in phone soket in the router nothing happens and with the ethernet cable going into my pc right i cant connect to the internet thru it. also when i plug the ethernet cable thing into the other pc i want my broad band on the little port activity light dont come on. wtf is wrong with it?

StryfeX
04-06-04, 21:20
i have network cards in both pc's, and a dsl router as well as the aol box thing. the ntl man installed the white box thing on the wall and i can use broadband thru that but i need to use broadband on another pc too but i dont know what to do.

i have the speed touch router wich aparently has its own dsl modem inside. when i plug the phone wire from the dsl filter in phone soket in the router nothing happens and with the ethernet cable going into my pc right i cant connect to the internet thru it. also when i plug the ethernet cable thing into the other pc i want my broad band on the little port activity light dont come on. wtf is wrong with it?Oi... this is gonna be a hard one...

Anyway. First thing you need to do is get some real networking equipment. Preferably a D-Link DI-604 (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=62), a Linksys BEFSR41 (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=561), or a Netgear RP614 (http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID=131&view=). Then read the manual thoroughly. If you still have questions after that, feel free to ask.

Another tip is to stay away from off-brand routers like Belkin. I have had nothing but problems from those things.

--Stryfe

ufora
04-06-04, 21:59
Oi... this is gonna be a hard one...

Anyway. First thing you need to do is get some real networking equipment. Preferably a D-Link DI-604 (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=62), a Linksys BEFSR41 (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=561), or a Netgear RP614 (http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID=131&view=). Then read the manual thoroughly. If you still have questions after that, feel free to ask.

Another tip is to stay away from off-brand routers like Belkin. I have had nothing but problems from those things.

--Stryfe

i got a speedtouch router, aparently thats all that works with aol

Techi
04-06-04, 22:01
aol

you've found your problem. =P

StryfeX
04-06-04, 22:04
you've found your problem. =PWhile I agree, we should at least *try* to help him. :p

ufora, who makes this "speedtouch" router you're talking about?

--Stryfe

OFT
04-06-04, 22:06
Nice, i was just about to say, there is only 1 or 2 models of routers that effectivly split a connection between computers if you are using aol broadband... Good job, hope AOL keeps ya connected ^^

StryfeX
04-06-04, 22:29
Nice, i was just about to say, there is only 1 or 2 models of routers that effectivly split a connection between computers if you are using aol broadband... Good job, hope AOL keeps ya connected ^^Sorry... gonna call BS here. A router is a router is a router. If it can handle PPPoE, it can handle AOsmelL.

I just found this site (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,5621677~root=aolplus~mode=flat) that should help quite a bit. Google is a very handy asset to have around.

--Stryfe

tomparadox
04-06-04, 22:35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufora
aol

yep =p AOL < all.

id help but i dont know much about networks.. :(

MrChumble
04-06-04, 23:00

Being a long time loather of AOL - I frequent irc channels where just mentioning it is worth a ban - I was shocked and appalled, when reduced to 56k for two weeks, to discover that it's actually not that bad. I used it for two weeks. Doing so cost me 0p. It connected as quickly as I'd expect for 56k, didn't drop once, installed with no fuss and buggered off just as easily.

I'd not touch it with a 20 foot stick when it comes to Broadband, but if you're one of those unfortunates who uses 56k extensively you could do worse.

You could probably do better as well, but AOL isn't the by-word for laggy useless shit it was back in the QuakeWorld days.

On the subject at hand...you've turned on internet connection sharing I take it?

darknessfairy
04-06-04, 23:51
Bob has AOL. apparently you CANT network AOL....

Revslad
05-06-04, 00:15
i have aol(shamed) ok basicly u can network aol! good news :)

ok first thing get rid of the shite aol software burn the cd

then go to network connections and create a new connection and call it net or what ever you wanna call it and tell it to make a connection to the internet and a dsl connection, when it gets to the bit of your screen name you put in

screenname@aol.com (screenname being your screenname)
and your password is your aol password

and it will connect

then you go to the properties of your network connection you made you go on advanced tab. then you tick the box that says "allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection"

and thats it :)

vola

if you have any problems u can get be on pm :)

StryfeX
05-06-04, 00:20
I pity the foo who uses AOL! :D ;)

Revslad's way is probably going to be the easiest method, but I'd still attempt to go with a hardware solution.

--Stryfe

Revslad
05-06-04, 00:23
yes yes i do pitty da fool who has it... :( but its not by choice its the parents

StryfeX
05-06-04, 00:27
yes yes i do pitty da fool who has it... :( but its not by choice its the parentsSo? Pitch cable/dsl to them. That's what I ended up doing. Also say that you'll pay for some of it every month if you can.

AOL is bad, mkay? :p Good luck. ;)

--Stryfe

Revslad
05-06-04, 00:29
actually i cant complain about aol tbh lol

i play farcry ut and sof2 and i get the same ping as anyone else i know who have other isps. and download speeds are good , i think mabe the program nerfs ur connection o_O

StryfeX
05-06-04, 00:45
actually i cant complain about aol tbh lol

i play farcry ut and sof2 and i get the same ping as anyone else i know who have other isps. and download speeds are good , i think mabe the program nerfs ur connection o_OYou're prolly right. AOL as a service seems to be (gasp!) fairly reliable and actually semi decent. AOL as the program is a complete and utter resource hogging bloated piece of shit whose programmers need to be tarred and feathered.

--Stryfe

FirestarXL
05-06-04, 00:52
The other important thing to remember is that your NTL connection is presumably a cable internet connection, not DSL (AOL offers DSL over a BT line, Cable over an NTL line and Nothing over a Telewest line). TBH, out of all the connection methods that AOL has, you are on the best one (ethernet over NTL cable) IMO. USB just causes way too much hassle for my tastes.

Not that I'm a particular fan of AOL (and if you knew me you'd know why), but a net connection is still a net connection, and as you've found out you can indeed spread the joy over your network.

tomparadox
05-06-04, 01:51
You're prolly right. AOL as a service seems to be (gasp!) fairly reliable and actually semi decent. AOL as the program is a complete and utter resource hogging bloated piece of shit whose programmers need to be tarred and feathered.

--Stryfe

i agree, i dont like there program, it makes me feel like an internet n00b and im not. i also somewhat dont like there policys, we cansled are account and swiched to earthlink, so when my account spired they deleted all my AIM names and cant help me get them back, so yea im kinda pissed off at AOL atm...

Scikar
05-06-04, 01:56
Do AOL still route all UK traffic via the US or have they changed that? When I last checked it, if you were in the UK and downloaded from a UK site, the packets were all sent across the Atlantic and back.

OFT
05-06-04, 03:23
Ouch, i stand corrected, StryfeX, my fault. The website DID however mention "...their new Home Networking option..." Guess my information was a little outdated :( . Before that, I am assuming, is when i had to fix that problem. Nice to see that AOshit has finally changed some of their protocols around :) Thanks for pointing that out to me, StryfeX
-OFT

Ithaqua
05-06-04, 03:37
Speetouch modems / routers are made by motorola. They tend to be a little on the flakey side.

As long as net conn sharing is on, and any firewall is allowing traffic locally should work ok though.

Oh, and don't bother asking AOL tech support... they'll tell you something comical.

ufora
05-06-04, 19:41
this is a pic of my problem

StryfeX
05-06-04, 19:53
Ouch, i stand corrected, StryfeX, my fault. The website DID however mention "...their new Home Networking option..." Guess my information was a little outdated :( . Before that, I am assuming, is when i had to fix that problem. Nice to see that AOshit has finally changed some of their protocols around :) Thanks for pointing that out to me, StryfeX
-OFTDon't worry about it. :) We all have to start somewhere.

The router has to be set up to be a router. Most routers have a built-in config page to do this from. Open up your web browser and go to either http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1.

--Stryfe

ufora
05-06-04, 19:59
Don't worry about it. :) We all have to start somewhere.

The router has to be set up to be a router. Most routers have a built-in config page to do this from. Open up your web browser and go to either http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1.

--Stryfe

oki, aslo, there are 3 lights on my router, one for internet connection, one for power, and one for network/ethernet cable and the internet one dont come on :(

i have plugged the wire straight into adsl soket in the adsl filter and into the router but i cant connect thru it :(

StryfeX
05-06-04, 20:07
oki, aslo, there are 3 lights on my router, one for internet connection, one for power, and one for network/ethernet cable and the internet one dont come on :(

i have plugged the wire straight into adsl soket in the adsl filter and into the router but i cant connect thru it :(That's most likely because you need to configure the router to work with your connection yet.

--Stryfe

ufora
05-06-04, 20:08
hmm, i done all the shit it said to do on the install disk.

meh i might just get a technition here or sumthing

StryfeX
05-06-04, 20:11
hmm, i done all the shit it said to do on the install disk.

meh i might just get a technition here or sumthingCall AOL and see if MSL is turned on for your account, first. If not, ask them to. (MSL is only available if you use AOL Broadband as your main ISP.)

--Stryfe

ufora
05-06-04, 20:14
Call AOL and see if MSL is turned on for your account, first. If not, ask them to. (MSL is only available if you use AOL Broadband as your main ISP.)

--Stryfe

this is all gettin confusing, i will just get a technition man here on monday or sumthing

Doc Holliday
05-06-04, 21:08
Ufora i think your problem is pretty simple man. its an ntl socket your using. i used to work for them and if i recall correct the digital cable socket aint supposed to be used for anything but ntl products. your running AOL broadband here arent u not NTL? thats most likely the issue but dont quote me ( no pun intended this being a forum and all :cool: ) try gettin their tech support number and ringing them. they are 24hrs. i would post it but cant remember what it is. i would check to make sure u are able to connect through there network as it was my understanding aol had to go through a bt line only. things may have changed i guess but thought i would pass this on.