PDA

View Full Version : neutrino damage type ?

greploco
03-06-04, 08:36
anyone hear anything about this? a new damage type for doy? neutrino damage?

seraphian
03-06-04, 08:39
it's X-ray damage...

although the scientific fact of it is that neutrino bombs do most of their killing through Gamma radiation, but since we don't have Gamma Ray Resistance, I guess they had to compromise

Agent L
03-06-04, 11:09
neutrinos pass through entire Earth with almost no interreaction - that's why they're so hard to detect.
No interreaction = cannot affect target in any way, including damage.
I beleive what you're talking about here are neutrons, not neutrinos : )

Heavyporker
03-06-04, 11:10
Correct.

It has been empathically stated that the Dome uses neutron weaponry.

Koshinn
03-06-04, 11:15
it's X-ray damage...

although the scientific fact of it is that neutrino bombs do most of their killing through Gamma radiation, but since we don't have Gamma Ray Resistance, I guess they had to compromise

neutron, not neutrino. There is a difference.

Dribble Joy
03-06-04, 11:18
Correct.

It has been empathically stated that the Dome uses neutron weaponry.
Indeed, and all efforts against DoY weapons (ie. the spy suits and gamma bones), are xray.

Callash
03-06-04, 13:07
it's X-ray damage...

Not to sound like a Smartass, but Gamma Ray = X-Ray. Not only in Neocron :angel:

Dribble Joy
03-06-04, 13:10
Gamma rays are generally EM waves of a higher frequency than X-Rays, though they do overlap. Some photopraphic films can see gamma rays, often used in analysing metal structures without dissassembling them.

Vampire222
03-06-04, 13:19
yah u got alpha gamma and beta rays, not x-rays

and the gamma ones are the best :)

Callash
03-06-04, 13:53
yah u got alpha gamma and beta rays, not x-rays

and the gamma ones are the best :)
Mostly because alpha- and beta-rays only have a range of a few centimeters :p

Gamma rays are what we call X-rays.

Freeejumper
03-06-04, 14:11
are neutrinos those things that fly into the past not into the future ... and there is a research mission about em in alaska ? :O

Freeejumper
03-06-04, 14:15
http://www.ps.uci.edu/~superk/neutrino.html found something :)

slaughteruall
03-06-04, 14:16
Neutrinos are one of the fundamental particles which make up the universe. They are also one of the least understood.

Neutrinos are similar to the more familiar electron, with one crucial difference: neutrinos do not carry electric charge. Because neutrinos are electrically neutral, they are not affected by the electromagnetic forces which act on electrons. Neutrinos are affected only by a "weak" sub-atomic force of much shorter range than electromagnetism, and are therefore able to pass through great distances in matter without being affected by it. If neutrinos have mass, they also interact gravitationally with other massive particles, but gravity is by far the weakest of the four known forces.

Three types of neutrinos are known; there is strong evidence that no additional neutrinos exist, unless their properties are unexpectedly very different from the known types. Each type or "flavor" of neutrino is related to a charged particle (which gives the corresponding neutrino its name). Hence, the "electron neutrino" is associated with the electron, and two other neutrinos are associated with heavier versions of the electron called the muon and the tau (elementary particles are frequently labelled with Greek letters, to confuse the layman).

From here (http://www.ps.uci.edu/~superk/neutrino.html)

Freeejumper
03-06-04, 14:17
Mostly because alpha- and beta-rays only have a range of a few centimeters :p

Gamma rays are what we call X-rays.
and they are easy to block :P as i know you can block a alpa ray already with paper :P

Freeejumper
03-06-04, 14:18
From here (http://www.ps.uci.edu/~superk/neutrino.html)
i was faster :)

hinch
03-06-04, 14:18
alpha and beta are particles

gamma are waves however alpha and beta are wave particles so display some aspects of wave-particle duality.

gamma are high frequency waves actually considerably higher frequency than x-rays and indeed closer to microwaves than x-ray.

but meh what should i know i dropped my physics degree for programming as physics was boring :)

Callash
03-06-04, 15:02
Okay, I looked it up. X-ray and Gamma-ray is not exactly the same, but almost. The most notable difference is that Gamma-rays come from atom core processes, while X-rays come from electron processes. It's almost the same wavelength spectrum though.

hinch
03-06-04, 15:52
almost is not quite :)

in quantum terms a 1nhz difference is like a billion to most peoples thinking :)

now resonance theory :) theres something fun

Callash
03-06-04, 16:26
I know but it's even "almost" in quantum terms ;)

hinch
03-06-04, 16:28
lol :)

i could go into details about the differences but i really really cant be arsed :)

all you need to know is gamma's higher frequency means it cooks your inside's alot quicker than xray does :)

NS_CHROME54
04-06-04, 04:35
here's the speal, which i remember from grade 10 science class.

Alpha Radiation - Particle - Helium Nucleus (Generally 2 protons, 1 neutron)
Beta Radiation - Particle - Free-floating Electron
X-Radiation - Electromagnetic Waveform
Gamma Radiation - Electromagnetic Waveform - Higher frequency than X-Rays, making it more dangerous to organisms

Neutron Radiation - Particle - Free-floating Neutron - Used in Nuclear Fission to transform Uranium-235 into Uranium-238 (could be the other way around, not sure) and thus releasing atomic bonding energy.

seraphian
04-06-04, 07:00
OK, I'm a dumbass, correct, I meant neutron not neutrino, now you know why I got a 'D' in physics this year at uni... 8|

yeah, X-ray may share some of hte bandwidth of Gamma radiation, but they are usually generated in a specific way (IE a cathode tube) whereas full-spectrum Gamma radiation is usually generated through radioactive decay...

this is why you can stop the X-rays from a medical machine with a lead jacket (or a warbot ;) ) and the radiation from an atomic bomb takes a few meters of concrete and lead or more... the higher energy of the Gamma radiation.

now, done with the physics and back to neocron...

either is possible for the weapon on a DoY bot, either they use a controlled radioactive decay system (maybe shells of a fast-decaying element like a radium isotope)

or they use an electronic cathode ray gun to create the lower energy X-rays in the same manner as a dentists X-ray machine does, which to me makes more sense, as the DoY bots look really electronic and you can lewt them without taking a 30 minute decon shower and losing all your hair.

naimex
04-06-04, 07:04
does it matter, if it´s xray or gamma weapons they use..
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

I´m pretty sure it will look the same, and do the same amount of dmg...

jini
04-06-04, 08:29
since we are talking about physics here, callash can you somehow fix the light diffusion effect as it exits a Healing light's bore for instance?
Lasers are polarized light, and as such it cant have the same effect as the normal flashlight (omindirectional beams). Furthermore I believe that the laser beam can be seen just because its emitted thru atmosphere(dust particles)... if it was emitted in say absolute void, it would rendered it completely invisible.

Koshinn
04-06-04, 11:58
I think by xray resist KK means Radiation resist in general... Although I don't know why a uranium bullet would do radiation damage. If anything it'd be energy or fire.

Agent L
04-06-04, 22:45
Piercing. Depleded uranium is just heavier and harder than lead, so uranium ammo does simply more prc dmg.

About lasers - I think typical beam in NC is so powerfull that it heats up air particles - and their emission is what you see when firing Healing Light. However, the more powerfull laser, colour of "beam" should move to higher temp in black-body spectrum. So weakest lasers should glow in dark-red, then brighter and brighter yellow, white, green and blue.

Cheer up, at least lasers in NC hit instantly, not projectile-like crap Star Wars has : DDD

tomparadox
04-06-04, 22:49
Not to sound like a Smartass, but Gamma Ray = X-Ray. Not only in Neocron
yep, but if im correct neutrino dmg is more of an anti person radiation, if im correct theres a bomb that is in RL thats neutrino and can wipe out an entire city but leav any building untouched and not leav radiation poisening... ( that is thats what i herd)

Agent L
04-06-04, 22:56
neutrino dmg
Read this thread carefully and you'll find out that neutrinos can't deal dmg, bomb is called "neutron", hower after all it deals most of it's destructive effect through hard radiation like gamma that disrupts living organisms at cellular level (and damages DNA) : D

And once more, difference between gamma and X is like between red and blue.

Wilco
04-06-04, 23:20
[...]
And once more, difference between gamma and X is like between red and blue.
Nope! It's like between blue and red! :cool: :D :p

SCNR, Wilco

Agent L
04-06-04, 23:32
0HN0Z ! You got me. <cries>
You've just reduced my penis by 30%. I hate you !

rob444
05-06-04, 00:53
Oh, I got these gamma sticks in my closet, when I feel cold I hug one of these sticks and I feel much warmer in a split second. Lately, I've been feeling bad and my skin has darkened, must be some sort of rare decease but I think I'll survive, hugging these sticks makes me feel better!

jiga
05-06-04, 02:12
I think they should turn all xray dmg into the ticking damage that an xray wyatt earp does.

Callash
05-06-04, 02:15
I think by xray resist KK means Radiation resist in general... Although I don't know why a uranium bullet would do radiation damage. If anything it'd be energy or fire.
Ever saw a geiger counter near a bullet hole by an uranium bullet? It goes like DRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :eek:

Rade
05-06-04, 03:10
While we are talking about realism, can someone explain why we have
energy, fire, and xray damage type? Wtf is "energy" supposed to be? Wouldnt
laser be heat and as such fire damage? And how lasers do "energy" and for
example "xray" damage with the correct mod? Whats next, cold-laser?

seraphian
05-06-04, 03:11
yup, there was a big scandal in the US about the fact that the DPU they were using for bullets wasn't as 'D' as they thought...

as in the Uranium used int he bullets was still radioactive enough that a goodly amount of Arms technitions that loaded the big warplanes (like the A-10 :) ) with Depleted Uranium rounds are now sterile, because they had to prop the drums up on their hips, right near their...

um, their *ahem* downloadable genetic material

Heavyporker
05-06-04, 03:39
well, rade, its tricky, the definition for energy inside of Neocron... electricity, light, and extremely intense heat (so intense that it instanteously vaporizes matter upon contact, so hence, a quite controlled transfer of energy).

Anyways, it'd be theoretically possible for a laser to emit xray, after all, xrays are just higher up on the electromagnetic spectrum from visible light. And lasers can very easily go down to infrared, which is almost entirely transferred into heat upon contact. Hence.. xray and fire-type mods for lasers.

jini
05-06-04, 06:20
About lasers - I think typical beam in NC is so powerfull that it heats up air particles - and their emission is what you see when firing Healing Light. However, the more powerfull laser, colour of "beam" should move to higher temp in black-body spectrum. So weakest lasers should glow in dark-red, then brighter and brighter yellow, white, green and blue.

Cheer up, at least lasers in NC hit instantly, not projectile-like crap Star Wars has : DDD

yes, and thats why you can see the laser beam emitted from the gun. because it heats air. but the "difussion" effect is a bit too much...
btw I can only laugh at Holywood movies, when I see those laser shots as well as when I even Hear!! them. Or when a spaceship moves in space and does all those sub noises when seen from 3rd view... But I agree. Neocron is pretty realistic and this is something i liked from day 1

seraphian
05-06-04, 06:28
you can hear a laser connect with what it's hitting (at least on industrial lasers) because you can hear the hiss and crack as the steel is vaporized... in the same way a powerful enough laser would superheat air and create a 'cracking' sound, the same way lightning creates thunder. On the other hand the "pshuuu" noise is pure science fiction (Star Wars used a mallet hitting a slinky if I remembert correctly)