PDA

View Full Version : reformating help

johngreen2000
01-06-04, 20:47
After being gone on vacation I come home to 2 new patches. After installing them Neocron didnt work. Soemone suggested I do a file check which I did and found a corrupt file. I fixed it and neocron still would not run. I uninstalled neocron and reinstalled and repatched and it still wont function. Other programs are screwing up as well so I figure a clean format in needed.

A friend partitioned my comp a few years back into 3 diffrent drives and well now its a hassle and I want to change the partitions can anyone give me the basic of how to undo the partition he did. BTW this a windows 98 machine.

MrChumble
01-06-04, 21:05
I wouldn't go messing with the partitions unless you really need to.

One of them will be the system partition; can you remove all important data from that then format it, then reinstall to that partition?

Or are one of the other two partitions big enough to install windows to?

To be honest if you're not sure how to go about this I wouldn't recommend you re-install windows yourself. Can you find a friend or expert to talk you through it?

If you do feel confident with re-installing then I'd suggest a new HDD and an upgrade to windows 2000 or XP. There's no reason to be running 98 anymore, and if your PC can cope with Neocron it can almost certainly cope with Windows 2000. XP might be a push, depends on your hardware.

In my experience it's always a LOT easier to install an OS to a fresh drive, rather than arse about with one that has large amounts of data on it already.

I'm loath to give a general how-to in case you go and botch it up and blame me :p If you have any specific questions ask away and I'll help where I can.

johngreen2000
01-06-04, 21:17
actually im sorry I bother you guys I finally found a good tutorial on the net and ive got it working.

The problem is my friend partitioned my h-drive which is 9 megs into 4 drives each having 2.xx meg on each(this was back in like 1999). Now adays 2 meg on a drive wont hardly hold shit so i needed to get rid of some.

But I got it figured out so no worries

edit

oh and I am fairly knowlegdable about computers ive just never partitioned one so I didnt know actually how to go about doing it.

MrChumble
01-06-04, 21:24
h-drive which is 9 megs into 4 drives each having 2.xx meg on each

I really hope that was a typo and you meant 9GB not 9MB :lol:

johngreen2000
01-06-04, 23:11
err yeah lol