PDA

View Full Version : Which Source control system do KK use ?

shenten
01-06-04, 16:30
Source safe or any branching system like CVS, perforce etc ....
I was just wondering :) any chance CoDi step by ? :p

Tx.

Original monk
01-06-04, 16:39
Source safe or any branching system like CVS, perforce etc ....
I was just wondering :) any chance CoDi step by ? :p

Tx.

i think they use durex, like most people :)

edit: and if ya wanted a decent answer then ask youre question in human language :)

J. Folsom
01-06-04, 16:52
I'm pretty certain they use sticky tape to make sure the hamster cages don't break.

msdong
01-06-04, 19:03
i think they use durex,...
isn't that to prevent pregnancy ?

ezza
01-06-04, 19:05
isn't that to prevent pregnancy ?
maybe original was thinking of birth control not source control :p

Archeus
01-06-04, 19:09
maybe original was thinking of birth control not source control :p

Thought they did the same thing. Actually I'm curious as well. I guess CVS (as its free), although SubVersion is pretty nice.

Please don't say clearcase >_<''

shenten
01-06-04, 19:54
no I think they use Source Safe because of the mess with each patch that sometimes works on testserver and not on retail etc ... that looks like release build on one computer because other coders work on the main source code and the fix are not made by merging code from one branch (MAIN) to an other (RETAIL).
That's why I think they use a non branching source control :) and I was wondering with the way each patch is so troublesome.
It is just that I had some trouble like this when I was using source safe and solved them by using branching system like CVS for my retail builds :)

Archeus
01-06-04, 20:17
Or you could of tagged your sources. Can you do that in VSS? Tag a baseline and then ship that as retail while the developers continue to work.

numb
01-06-04, 20:44
Or you could of tagged your sources. Can you do that in VSS? Tag a baseline and then ship that as retail while the developers continue to work.

Yeah you can label versions in VSS and extract at the label point. That's how we've done in it in all the various places I've worked at.

Brammers
01-06-04, 20:56
If they was using VSS, would they admit to it? :D

Thought they did the same thing. Actually I'm curious as well. I guess CVS (as its free), although SubVersion is pretty nice.

Please don't say clearcase >_<''

Whats wrong with Clearcase? (Well ok, it's not too bad, but I have to use it at work every day...)

I forget how much clearcase costs to use, but I think a small fortune springs to mind.

I'll put my money on CVS (As Subversion only reached V1.0 late fairly recently)

Archeus
01-06-04, 21:31
Whats wrong with Clearcase? (Well ok, it's not too bad, but I have to use it at work every day...)

I forget how much clearcase costs to use, but I think a small fortune springs to mind.

If your using the normal version (not UCM) and the command line it is just about bareable to use. But it is horribly expensive to buy and maintain. You also need to train developers to use properly or they can seriously mess things up. It has good points but if all you want is source control then it is overkill.

I've been working with it for the last couple of years and I have to say that it gives me nothing but heartache (PHB's love it though).

hinch
02-06-04, 10:10
i leik source safe !!

and it does support branching

Lexxuk
02-06-04, 11:26
they use them sticky note things, umm, sticky notes, Codi comes in every morning and looks at all the notes on his computer..

"Added random code to something, dunno what it does, but, it didnt break anything"

jernau
02-06-04, 12:28
They use source control? 8|

If they do my guess would be CVS as several other aspects of the development are based on open-source code - the DB and part of the rendering system for instance.

I doubt it's VSS as the game is written in C so why pay for MS?

There was a change of compiler though at one point IIRC. It was mentioned in the patch notes I think but I can't find it now.

kerdezixe
02-06-04, 12:33
They use source control? 8|

Winzip :angel:

hinch
02-06-04, 13:03
There was a change of compiler though at one point IIRC. It was mentioned in the patch notes I think but I can't find it now.

they use vc++ as stated by codi and the change in compiler was TS only they were testing an open source compiler as opposed to the one in vc++

korben4leeloo
02-06-04, 13:05
i leik source safe !!

and it does support branching

Are'nt you confusing branching and tagging ? If I remember well, VSS uses labelling/tagging, but not branches, as does CVS.

hinch
02-06-04, 13:40
from what i remember you can tag certain files to be in multiple branches kinda like a category/subcategory system.

it is however along time since ive used vss and i know ms released a new version recently

Nidhogg
02-06-04, 14:13
A SCC system that doesn't allow branching isn't much of a SCC at all. It's a pretty vital piece of functionality.

N

shenten
02-06-04, 14:41
A SCC system that doesn't allow branching isn't much of a SCC at all. It's a pretty vital piece of functionality.

N

/agree 100%
and VSS doesn't support branching :) (CVS, perforce, ClearCase do)

Tank!
02-06-04, 18:17
Dont forget Subversion... another great source control system ;)

Agent L
02-06-04, 21:26
windiff+notepad is my bet : P

jernau
02-06-04, 21:29
windiff+notepad is my bet : PDon't joke - I knew a clown who worked like that.

He also had 2000+ directories called "current" or "latest", sometimes even "current\latest\current\current\current\latest"

:mad:

Archeus
02-06-04, 21:37
Don't joke - I knew a clown who worked like that.

He also had 2000+ directories called "current" or "latest", sometimes even "current\latest\current\current\current\latest"

:mad:

ROFLMAO.. yea I can imagine. I worked in one place where the guy in charge had numbered directories as versions.

Each day we had to wait 2 hours for a new copy of the source tree to be made before we could work on it (he would come in early but automation was beyond him). Then you had to write on a board which file you were working on. But then you got people who wouldn't write anything, and others who put their changes into a completely different directory (older version).

I was so happy when I left that mess behind.

Agent L
02-06-04, 21:39
I worked like that for a while.
But that was no versioning, just everyday making one project again from daily work of all programmers.

Fun about naming folders:
Usually there is certain scheme which allows you to sort them chronologically:

- ***(base name)
- new
- newer
- newest
- most newest

and when one runs out out of names you can always find most recent version in a directory named:

- new folder

numb
03-06-04, 01:21
Are'nt you confusing branching and tagging ? If I remember well, VSS uses labelling/tagging, but not branches, as does CVS.

I'm pretty certain VSS does currently support branching.

edit: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;132921

Unless I am mistaken, it has been a part of sourcesafe for years. I'm also confused as to why people are slating sourcesafe, I cant see how it would be inappropriate to use in a development project of neocron's size. I suppose the network performance is a bit slow but still many development companies swear by it.

jernau
03-06-04, 07:44
It becomes hopelessly inneficient with surprisingly small projects.