PDA

View Full Version : Guild of Art, Style and Uberness.

Moscow
01-06-04, 04:44
Before I begin, some background:

A lot of people on the 'Net take quite a bit of pride in their avatars and signatures; a little something to build up that first impression when meeting new people, and a way to differ from the old. Problem is, not everyone has that much in the way of energy or skill they can be bothered to throw into this sort of thing.

Here's where my idea comes in.

I propose that anyone with a certain degree of self-confidence and a reasonable amount of spare time, not to mention a distinct lack of bias (We all know it's plain silly to expect people to COMPLETELY rid themselves of it), step up and offer themselves as signature image and avatar artists (Or stylists. Or Uberists. Whatever). If you have any real love for Photoshop and it's little itty-bitty workings, then feel free to step up as well.

All I ask is that people don't take this as a chance to slag off each other's work and boost their own egos by prattling on about this, that and the other.

I'll take the liberty of keeping track of this thread and cataloguing the volunteers who are taking part. In doing so, I'll periodically update this thread and try to keep at least some degree of order if things get a wee bit too confusing.

To advertise yourself (So to speak), post your "profile", as I'm about to do so in a moment, and just have a little patience; but take the time to keep tabs on things and answer any questions people might have. If you're a "customer", then post your request (I'll be typing up an example shortly after my profile) and wait for an artist to claim it.

But please honour this: When an artist has claimed a customer's request, please keep communication between the two of you in Private Messages. As well as helping keep the Thread relatively clutter free, it will give sharper, more concise communication between both of you.

With this out of the way, I'll post up my profile. Please try to follow this format as close as possible:

Name: Moscow

Speciality (Avatars, signature images....etc): Signature images are my main passion, but I feel capable of doing avatars as well.

Style: Simple, but striking, Anime/Manga-based artwork (Taken from non-copyrighted sources) with a "snappy" quote.

Skilled with: "Tidy" art; if only two or three objects are needed, I can easily put together a reasonably (:p) professional looking image that doesn't suffer from clutter or a horrible, cramped feeling.

Not so skilled with: Images of "real" (i.e. Aren't drawn) objects and people. I can never seem to make things work when I'm dealing with this sort of thing, and usually falter; leading to a messy looking end result.

Any other notes: I won't do anything that's considered sexist or tasteless (But acceptable by board standards) erotica. I've always hated signatures that use sexual images "just because", and strive to avoid them if at all possible.

Obviously, any further questions can be asked on this thread or by Private Message.

As for the request form, PLEASE try to include as much detail as you can. It would help the artist immensely, and cut back on unneccesary headaches:

Base images: Is there a specific image you want to include? A background you fancy, perhaps? If so, provide a URL link or attach them to your post.

Colours: What colours do you want used? Light ones? Dark ones? Red? Blue? Magenta? Please be specific as to what colours should be used for text and what shouldn't, if possible.

Text: Any text you want to include?

Other notes: If you'll allow the artist to "do their own thing" with an image, then state it here. If you want anything that doesn't fit into the three categories above, then include it here. Basically, anything that you didn't already request.

That's about it for now. I hope we can get something like this off the ground; if only for a couple of weeks.

Peace.

-Moscow

naimex
01-06-04, 04:54
Name: naimex

Speciality (Avatars, signature images....etc): Signature images I would prefer, but I won´t step aside for an Avatar

Style: Simple, non flashy (I hate gifs and animations, cuz I can never get them right)

Skilled with: Removing Pixels

Not so skilled with: Animations, and Gifs

Any other notes: The more specific you can make your request, the easier it is to make (in most cases, some people are too demanding for it to be made by the majority of animators)

Nvidia
01-06-04, 04:57
Very nice idea man. There's plenty of people out there who need a signature, but have absolutely no clue what they're doing *cough* me *cough*. :p

I hope this idea works out for you, glad to see someone from the community trying to help others out, it's a welcomed change.

I'm going to rate this 5 stars... maybe we can even get it stickied. :)

Shadow Dancer
01-06-04, 05:12
I rate it 5 stars as well. I also think it should be a sticky.

Moscow
01-06-04, 05:17
With 5am creeping up on me quicker than a Cathar with +43 to Sneaking, I'd best be off the for the night. But before I leave, I'll just post a couple more things:

Try to keep a decent relationship between yourselves if you post in this thread, please. You might be working alongside each other, and I'm sure we can all agree that tolerable companionships are more desirable than all-out hostilities. That, and I doubt anyone with a genuine interest in this would be particuarly pleased if the thread was closed due to the actions of a few over-excitable posters.

On a similar note, if anyone, and I do mean anyone, behaves like an utter twit; please refuse to honour any requests they have if they're a "customer", and boycott their service if they're an "artist". Until they can get themselves under control, I don't feel as if they deserve anything this thread entails.

Please, above all else, don't be under the impression you'll get nothing but glory from all this: The bigger your ego, the bigger the chance of it popping. As experience has shown me, this does nothing for nobody.

Peace.

-Moscow

Drake6k
01-06-04, 06:43
Name: Jack Drake

Speciality: Signatures or Avatars.

Style: I like dark and broken/industrial looking stuff but I can do whatever.

Skilled with: I dont think I have one strong point. Judge for yourself. I am good at making pictures fit together well.

Any other notes: There is nothing I'm against making. I make stuff for fun. Just ask and If it sounds like a challenge or something I would enjoy making I'll make it for you.

Some examples of my work:
http://jackdiehl.com/jackdrake.gif
http://jackdiehl.com/indussig3.gif
http://jackdiehl.com/avatar.gif

More if you click on my sig. My website if full atm... I also lost what I think was my best work when my laptop had a serious virus :(

Also of course my current sig and avatar.

Shadow Dancer
01-06-04, 06:45
Nice work Jack.

hinch
01-06-04, 10:08
name: some random nub

speciality: signature hosting for all teh lurvley banners avatars and signatures other people make :)

skilled with: bannana's and bandwidth

other notes: completely useless but provides free hosting for all image's be them screenshots or banners :)

Benjie
01-06-04, 10:39
name: Benjie

speciality: Signatures and Avatars

skilled with: MS Paint ^^

other notes: Check out Houstons signature and Avatar, and ph33L the p0w4r aof MS-Paint-ness. (not to menchun mah sexy babble of beautifullness below mah posts)

SilentEye
01-06-04, 12:23
Speciality (Avatars, signature images....etc): I'm good with signatures, I like making avatars too with kinky stuff (mind my current avatar :p)

Style: I like to create things sharp, look flashy, and everyone to like it.

Skilled with: Image colouring, image effects and text effects.

Not so skilled with: Thinking of designs, I usually take other peoples stuff as examples.

Any other notes: Be able to get critique, when your busy on a project know that not everyone will like it at once even if you do so.
Before posting your work wait a day then look at it again to see if you still like it the way it is.

TheDuckMan
01-06-04, 14:38
Well I dont feel like reading all the posts... but if you need a sign just PM me IG or PM me in the forums.

Houston
01-06-04, 14:40
name: Benjie

speciality: Signatures and Avatars

skilled with: MS Paint ^^

other notes: Check out Houstons signature and Avatar, and ph33L the p0w4r aof MS-Paint-ness. (not to menchun mah sexy babble of beautifullness below mah posts)
Oh yes f33l the l33tnes because my sig is so ub4r

MkVenner
01-06-04, 14:45
Speciality: Signatures (cant do avatars they always look too crammed in)

Style: Nothing too flashy, can do simple gifs and animations tho not much more advanced than slide after slide :p

Skilled with: Paint Shop Pro and Animation shop Pro

few of my sigs:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boomer_uk/%5beod%5d.gif

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boomer_uk/Greatsig.gif

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boomer_uk/Boomersig.jpg

Moscow
02-06-04, 02:37
Ok, thank you for the replies so far guys; I've put you all in a super special .txt file for later reference, use and blackmail.

Also, one thing I thought of just recently: What would you all say to a small website with a list of the artists on? It would, most likely, make things a wee bit easier (As everyone's profile is in the same place....sort of), and in the unlikely, impossible event of this thread dissapearing off of the first page, "bumps" wouldn't be all that neccesary; sparing the Moderators' wrath.

It's only an idea at this point, and I have very little clue on how to produce a website in anything other than basic HTML, so there's plenty of time to flesh this whole ordeal out.

Peace.

-Moscow

naimex
02-06-04, 06:19
.. just write up on my forum..

otherwise i have a "request" image in my signature, that links to this thread..

there were too many stickies, so this one couldnt be made sticky.

hinch
02-06-04, 10:06
i can give you all a gallery section on meh gallery

unlimited space
unlimited bandwidth
cross site linking fine etc

usual crap

Koshinn
02-06-04, 11:28
Name: Koala

Speciality (Avatars, signature images....etc): Avatars, Sigs, anything really. Webpages too.

Style: I do a lot... anything. I've tried many different styles and I like a little of all of them to the point that I'd be happy to mix styles or just do an "imitation" type work with similar styles too.

Skilled with: Photoshop?

Not so skilled with: Snazzy punch lines or quotes. Provide your own words.

Any other notes: I'll do anything. Do I get paid? Pleeeease? How about 500k nc, pluto server. :D Or not. Either way. I do pro bono.

As stated, if you want me to do stuff, give me a link to images you want. Provide the text. Tell me your ideas on the sig/av, or tell me that you want me to do whatever. If you want something animated in flash or as a .gif thats fine too. Tell me the general feel... like happy, sad, moody, insane, ub3r 1337 pkar or whatever.

Capt. Rik
02-06-04, 21:31
sex @ Naimex for making me my cool sig as a result of this thread :D :D :D

MasTequila
02-06-04, 21:54
Name: MasTequila

Speciality: Photoshop stuff that doesn't include me drawing anything

Style: Matching avatars and sig with cool background, text, or prepared images.

Skilled with: Photoshop and autocad/maya/3Dsmax (if anyone wants a gun render or something). I can do some animation but nothing to write home about.

Not so good at: Drawing stuff from scratch on photoshop or paper

Other notes: Umm just let me know through email or PM and I will try to make something for you, look to my sig and avatar to get a look at the type of stuff I do.

my avatar is too big so ill resize it and fix it

Ascension
04-06-04, 01:30
Name:Ascention

Speciality: Sigs/Avatars or site banners

Style: Made to measure sigs/ you request i make

Skilled with: Unique styles/designs and enjoy manipulating images

Not so skilled with: Motion gifs

Any other notes: here are some samples or recent work:

click here for more (http://furiousgamers.webuser.impulsed.net/index.htm)

http://furiousgamers.webuser.impulsed.net/ascention/banner/fa_1.jpg

http://furiousgamers.webuser.impulsed.net/ascention/banner/fa_hl1.jpg

http://furiousgamers.webuser.impulsed.net/ascention/banner/fa_lin1.jpg

http://www.farcryuniverse.com/sites/ncf/pics/boh_asc.jpg

http://www.bandofhawks.com/uploads/av-507.gif

Harch
04-06-04, 02:07
i need a sign . i dunno how to contact any of u guys doing any . plz someone make one for me with : PPU in it (name : Yakodi xann) PE rifle : (elisi) hc tank : Yakodi .

you can put ur name in or woteva jsut i would like one and dont know how to contact anyone ::( . elp :)

(my addy is boardingnick@hotmail.com) is ya need me on instant messager

Ascension
04-06-04, 02:11
i need a sign . i dunno how to contact any of u guys doing any . plz someone make one for me with : PPU in it (name : Yakodi xann) PE rifle : (elisi) hc tank : Yakodi .

you can put ur name in or woteva jsut i would like one and dont know how to contact anyone ::( . elp :)

pm me your char details and some screen shot attachments and i will see what i can russle up ;)

Moscow
04-06-04, 02:12

/set forum_whoring_to_hog_glory 1

Private Message me with the specifics and the like, and I'll get to it. :p

Peace.

-Moscow