PDA

View Full Version : Dont Delete teh Strange Books

s0apy
31-05-04, 11:50
...please.

here's my reasonin'

patch 188 announced the arrival of the "terminator" thusly:

- Added rare Shotgun "Terminator", will be available through a run instead of the usual rareparts.

...on September 24, 2003. 8 fookin' months ago. EIGHT. twas accompanied by a typically overly-optimistic post by ver Callash that we would need a "strange book" to do the run.

fast forward a couple of months to December 11, 2003 and patch 193/194:

- Added rare Flamethrower "DEVOURER" (TL 98), drops as rareparts.
- Added rare Plasma Wave "RAVAGER" (TL 100), drops as rareparts.

that's nice.

so. basically, by now, everyone who wants one has a rav or dev. in fact, everyone who who wants one has every other dang thing that was introduced within the last 8 fookin' months too.

let's just say that strange books have dropped too often over the last couple of days - surely to god you can reason that that'll do nicely to make up for the last 8 fajookin' months that us low-tech riflers (yes, obviously a HUGE majority of the NC population :rolleyes: ) have been without our fookin' new rare whilst every other fookin' class in the game has been gifted over and over with new stuff. and even 8 months ago, we were already LONG overdue something new.

so leave the dang books in. i'm sick fed up of waiting for you to finish fiddling around and cocking up the drop. i don't care anymore. you've tried my patience beyond all reason. i have 3 books now, and i'd guess that's the minimum number of terminators i would have acquired by now had they been in the game all this time as rareparts instead of this idiotic, fooked up, run.

anyone else think vaguely similar?

it's not a poll. just stop by and give me your testimonial.

Sadrine
31-05-04, 12:02
KK remove them plz (the books [ edited ])

s0apy
31-05-04, 12:03

selfish? how so?

Lanigav
31-05-04, 12:26

Yes, he's clearly selfish for wanting a long promised rare run available to the players.

O_o

steweygrrr
31-05-04, 12:49
The problem with the books are that they drop to frequently. Along with pretty much EVERYTHING else. Go kill a (now fixed) Terror Raptor and tell me it either doesn't drop a level 2 imp or a rarepart, never just junk. Or go kill a warbot like I did with my new tl85 gat drones (TEH PWNZ!!!) and get 2 level 3 imps off them. Thats one severely fucked up drop rate. So until the drop rate is tweaked to exactly how KK want it to be the run doesn't go in and the books get wiped again.

ezza
31-05-04, 13:11
if they kept them as it is right now i have enough to get about 15 terminators

lol since the rav and dev have came out i only have 1 dev and 2ravs

QuantumDelta
31-05-04, 13:11
What Ezza said.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, it'll be around soon enough.
Though I do wish they'd sort it out with some finality to it.
The back and forth is annoying.... :/

ezza
31-05-04, 13:14
how hard can it be to get the drop rate right?

and i dont mean that in a "KK you dumb fucks get it sorted way" i mean is it really hard to get it right?

QuantumDelta
31-05-04, 13:19
edited actually, probably not allowed to share that out on here ^^;

Drake6k
31-05-04, 13:23
So what if everyone will have them later. I like it when stuff is rare and hard to find. It'll suck if a lot of people have like 15 Termis. Even if we should have it by now I think KK should still delete them.

s0apy
31-05-04, 15:02
So what if everyone will have them later. I like it when stuff is rare and hard to find. It'll suck if a lot of people have like 15 Termis. Even if we should have it by now I think KK should still delete them.

an item being rare and hard to find is all well and good, but why the hell did it need - i mean really need - to be the only other weapon available to the low-tech rifler? i mean, if you want rare and hard to find, why not one of the new MC weapons, why not the dev or the rav. why not one of the higher TL pistols? why not even one of the myriad rare drones? they've all been added since the termi was announced, and they all add to an already large lineup of weapons for the classes they are aimed at.

does it really seem fair that this continuing cock-up be perpetrated on a dieing breed of low-tech rifle users who already know they're flogging a dead horse with their chosen profession but still cling to it cos they don't want their heads full of MC5 chippage, their veins filled with drugs and their fists clutching a hi-tech pistol like every other dang PE?

at least, for the love of pete, admit the mistake, give up on the stupid (yes, i think it's dumb) idea of ultra-rare droppage followed by (another thing i hate) a "run" and just drop the 5 fookin' tech parts into the pool and have done.

Richard Blade
31-05-04, 16:01
at least, for the love of pete, admit the mistake, give up on the stupid (yes, i think it's dumb) idea of ultra-rare droppage followed by (another thing i hate) a "run" and just drop the 5 fookin' tech parts into the pool and have done.

You don't like "runs". It seems to me that some people were requesting a little content. This is one of KK's attempts at a little rp / genre content.
OR, are you one of those players that thinks this is TF-Cron or perhaps QuakeCron?
If they get the rare book drop and the Termi run working, they may do the same to some of the other rares.

Besides, they'll just turn the books into candy bars again. Too many people already have a bunch. Oh, candy bars that can't even be eaten. :wtf:

DonnyJepp
31-05-04, 16:37
KK and the general player populace hate PEs. Why do you think I deleted Tyrion? Quickaccess-Belt (my pistol PE) will probably be the next to go.

No point in keeping another capped PE around when all they get is the dregs.

They should have made the Ravager a run-acquired rare also. If one of the "pure" classes started whining about the lack of availablity of their new toy you can be sure they'd have hotfixed it right up.

Richard Blade
31-05-04, 16:57
KK and the general player populace hate PEs. Why do you think I deleted Tyrion? Quickaccess-Belt (my pistol PE) will probably be the next to go.

No point in keeping another capped PE around when all they get is the dregs.

They should have made the Ravager a run-acquired rare also. If one of the "pure" classes started whining about the lack of availablity of their new toy you can be sure they'd have hotfixed it right up.

I agree, although, I think both new tank guns should have been runs.

Something different for drones though. Since droners can't cap the "copies" it would be cool if they had a run for that.

s0apy
31-05-04, 16:57
You don't like "runs".

hmm - no, i don't like runs, but that wasn't really the crux of my argument. you haven't replied to my comment that perhaps it might be better to do this "run" on another, less vital, rare such as one of the two new HC rares, or the many drones (which are genuinely better done as a run since no one actually needs the parts once the first one is built anyway), or the new MC rares. you also don't evidently wish to lock horns over the quite reasonable idea that reducing the rare pool might be better done by having runs for drones, which require SO many parts.

It seems to me that some people were requesting a little content. This is one of KK's attempts at a little rp / genre content.

i too would like some content, but after 8 months i'm still waiting. as i said, why not just give it up? in the meantime other runs, such as those for PAs, have come and gone since this community, of whom "some" as you say did indeed request content, repeatedly complained about. so they gave up on those runs and put the PAs in the shops. if people love runs so much, why have we heard no complaint at the loss of the PA runs? nuff sed.

OR, are you one of those players that thinks this is TF-Cron or perhaps QuakeCron?

if i thought that, i wouldn't have played the game for over 2 years now, on a daily basis. i consider this remark a flame, in poor taste, and i am sorely tempted to respond in kind - but for the forum rules. however, your opinion and level of discourse is duely noted.

If they get the rare book drop and the Termi run working, they may do the same to some of the other rares.

as donny rightly points out, no one gives a shit about the termi situation cos it's a PE gun really, and therefore of little consequence. if KK ever dared to do the same thing to a tank or monkey weapon, then truely a shitstorm would ensue the likes of which even god himself has never seen. in other words - no, i doubt rares will ever again be implemented this way, at least not for long.

Bred
31-05-04, 17:04
There are a few people with termis. Even before this patch there were two people that i know of that had termis. If you would have played your cards right you could have had one. Also I like the idea of having rares rare. i don't want it like it was in, i think correct me if i'm wrong, 165 or before where you could get 3 rare parts off a WB if you were lucky. I haven't played since the patch, so i don't know if you can actually get a termi now, but if you can't, i'd say the termis are one of the rarest items. which is cool if you ask me. Rare should mean "hard to find" not just the best gun in the teir of guns. But i digress and rant. I also think that PE's rock, and i don't think they are ignored by KK. Ever tried a MC PE? or HC PE? PE's can shelter and use a freakin CS with the right setup.

Bred

retr0n
31-05-04, 17:56
There are a few people with termis. Even before this patch there were two people that i know of that had termis. If you would have played your cards right you could have had one. Also I like the idea of having rares rare. i don't want it like it was in, i think correct me if i'm wrong, 165 or before where you could get 3 rare parts off a WB if you were lucky. I haven't played since the patch, so i don't know if you can actually get a termi now, but if you can't, i'd say the termis are one of the rarest items. which is cool if you ask me. Rare should mean "hard to find" not just the best gun in the teir of guns. But i digress and rant. I also think that PE's rock, and i don't think they are ignored by KK. Ever tried a MC PE? or HC PE? PE's can shelter and use a freakin CS with the right setup.

Bred

The thing I like the most about NC is the fact that there are no uber rare stuff
so that everybody has the chance to get the same gear.

I dont care if they remove the books or not, but give us the damn terminator
run allready.

Matthew.v.smith
31-05-04, 18:54
The thing I like the most about NC is the fact that there are no uber rare stuff
so that everybody has the chance to get the same gear.

I dont care if they remove the books or not, but give us the damn terminator
run allready.

Yeah I agree with this although it is nice to occasionally get something that no one else has it would still be good for some of the Lowtech Rifle PE's out there that only have their Pain Easers to use.
Variety is the Spice of life :)

Matty. :angel:

retr0n
31-05-04, 18:56
Yeah I agree with this although it is nice to occasionally get something that no one else has it would still be good for some of the Lowtech Rifle PE's out there that only have their Pain Easers to use.
Variety is the Spice of life :)

Yes but it's been 6 months soon since the x-mas event where some people
got it, they should just release it now... I mean cmon...

sex matty btw <3 :D

Matthew.v.smith
31-05-04, 18:58
Yes but it's been 6 months soon since the x-mas event where some people
got it, they should just release it now... I mean cmon...

sex matty btw <3 :D

Yeah TBH I cant wait to get a Termi ^_^ even at the X-mas event when i couldent even use one with my character it was still l33t to win :p

Sex ;) <3

Richard Blade
31-05-04, 19:16
hmm - no, i don't like runs, but that wasn't really the crux of my argument. you haven't replied to my comment that perhaps it might be better to do this "run" on another, less vital, rare such as one of the two new HC rares, or the many drones (which are genuinely better done as a run since no one actually needs the parts once the first one is built anyway), or the new MC rares. you also don't evidently wish to lock horns over the quite reasonable idea that reducing the rare pool might be better done by having runs for drones, which require SO many parts.

I don't disagree with make the rare pool a little more shallow. My agreement with Donny's post and comment about drones establishes my position. No reason to lock horns. If you don't take that as agreement with you, it is as close to your opinion on it as I can come. I like runs.

i too would like some content, but after 8 months i'm still waiting. as i said, why not just give it up? in the meantime other runs, such as those for PAs, have come and gone since this community, of whom "some" as you say did indeed request content, repeatedly complained about. so they gave up on those runs and put the PAs in the shops. if people love runs so much, why have we heard no complaint at the loss of the PA runs? nuff sed.

I don't know about other people, but I'm not complaining about the PA runs because when they were brought in, it was stated that they would only be temporary because of RP reasons. I will complain if the Spy suits are sold in TH without making them available to the enemies of FA. TT being the maker of those suits and the primary (business) enemy of FA.

if i thought that, i wouldn't have played the game for over 2 years now, on a daily basis. i consider this remark a flame, in poor taste, and i am sorely tempted to respond in kind - but for the forum rules. however, your opinion and level of discourse is duely noted.

Now that I look back at it, it does look like a flame. I didn't really intend for that. I apologize for the harsh statement.
I've seen you posting for those two years, we've both been here for quite a while. I only wish it were longer, I would have loved to be involved with the first beta tests. Weren't you here as early as Beta 3?
Anyway, report the post as you feel.
It won't help things, but I have to state that some of the people here think the game is only meant for a "deathmatch" style of play. I haven't been here since Beta 4 believing that Neocron is only that. I get a jaded opinion sometimes and can be zealous when someone states something that, --->in this case I misunderstood<---, leads to less content. ( I hope that all made sense. )

as donny rightly points out, no one gives a shit about the termi situation cos it's a PE gun really, and therefore of little consequence. if KK ever dared to do the same thing to a tank or monkey weapon, then truely a shitstorm would ensue the likes of which even god himself has never seen. in other words - no, i doubt rares will ever again be implemented this way, at least not for long.

That is a shame. I currently have two spies, a HC tank, and a ppu. I've been on the nerf side of the bat also.
I think that all the classes are needed in Neocron. I wish I had the all inclusive answer to balance and what people think this game needs to make it better, but I don't.
As to the shitstorm, I think you're right. This time however KK should break out their shit proof jackets and deal with it.

edit: As I reread the post, something hit me.
Low tech pistols have Wyat and Libby. Rifles only have the Pain Easer... I think. I haven't used a rifle in so long, I don't remember the path. But, it is high time that a second rare rifle were added to complete the gap in that path. And, it isn't only the PE that is being neglected here.
Any lowtech rifle user would benefit from Termi being made more available. I'm not backing off on the run aspect though. Your comment about other rares being turned into runs has set in as something I'm growing fonder of by the moment. Perhaps they could release the Termi into the rare pool for a few months before turning it and other rares into runs. That way, those who can use one will be able to get one.

s0apy
31-05-04, 22:42
Now that I look back at it, it does look like a flame. I didn't really intend for that. I apologize for the harsh statement.

you, sir, are a gentleman, and your apology is accepted.

edit: As I reread the post, something hit me.
Low tech pistols have Wyat and Libby. Rifles only have the Pain Easer... I think. I haven't used a rifle in so long, I don't remember the path. But, it is high time that a second rare rifle were added to complete the gap in that path.

i guess i tend to assume that most folks know the pain of the low-tech rifler. it is indeed as you say - the pain easer is the only available weapon. not that it isn't a fine and wonderous thing, but, as someone else mentioned, variety is the spice of life.

along with never having had anything added to the lineup, the easer has consistently fallen behind other weapons in terms of firepower - while they have been boosted, the easer has remained the same. it has never had a boost as far as i can recall - i think it even had its burst bonus reduced at one stage, like the libby, but no large clips for us.

on top of that, the easer needs obscene amounts of RC compared to the libbys PC requirement to make it useful. not to mention WEP. it's a fools game really - those who still go low-tech rifles as opposed to pistols are true enthusiasts, it's the only explanation for our continued existence.

but i digress. i think now perhaps you can understand the frustration that
we have, when the only other option we might have had has been dangled, teasingly out of reach, in front of us for 8 months.

StryfeX
01-06-04, 06:17
I semi-agree with you, s0apy. Personally, I think that the whole termi-run and associated things are something of a "proof-of-concept"-run. And once they get this one done, they may decide to do this with others as well.

That being said, my PE is also low-tech and yes, the ONLY reason I don't LOM his arse is because I *LOVE* rifles. I too am rather annoyed that the Termi has been "out there" for 8 months but no more than a handful of them exist per server.

That being said, I'd prefer it if KK didn't wipe the books and once everything was finally working, just have like a 5 hour window that every could do the termi run with the books, then after that window was up, take down the server and wipe them.

Ah well. I can dream.

--Stryfe

Moofausa
01-06-04, 06:32
...please.

here's my reasonin'

patch 188 announced the arrival of the "terminator" thusly:

- Added rare Shotgun "Terminator", will be available through a run instead of the usual rareparts.

...on September 24, 2003. 8 fookin' months ago. EIGHT. twas accompanied by a typically overly-optimistic post by ver Callash that we would need a "strange book" to do the run.

fast forward a couple of months to December 11, 2003 and patch 193/194:

- Added rare Flamethrower "DEVOURER" (TL 98), drops as rareparts.
- Added rare Plasma Wave "RAVAGER" (TL 100), drops as rareparts.

that's nice.

so. basically, by now, everyone who wants one has a rav or dev. in fact, everyone who who wants one has every other dang thing that was introduced within the last 8 fookin' months too.

let's just say that strange books have dropped too often over the last couple of days - surely to god you can reason that that'll do nicely to make up for the last 8 fajookin' months that us low-tech riflers (yes, obviously a HUGE majority of the NC population :rolleyes: ) have been without our fookin' new rare whilst every other fookin' class in the game has been gifted over and over with new stuff. and even 8 months ago, we were already LONG overdue something new.

so leave the dang books in. i'm sick fed up of waiting for you to finish fiddling around and cocking up the drop. i don't care anymore. you've tried my patience beyond all reason. i have 3 books now, and i'd guess that's the minimum number of terminators i would have acquired by now had they been in the game all this time as rareparts instead of this idiotic, fooked up, run.

anyone else think vaguely similar?

it's not a poll. just stop by and give me your testimonial.

Good Idea... drop rate to high - raise the ammount needed for terminator run.. good idea? 10 books or something per run or like 15 something like that.. less work for you kk..

Lanigav
01-06-04, 06:49
Well, since the drop rate is really high, instead of the run giving you all the parts, they could just make it so the run will give you one of the parts instead.

StryfeX
01-06-04, 07:42
Well, since the drop rate is really high, instead of the run giving you all the parts, they could just make it so the run will give you one of the parts instead.Ooooo.... I like! Just gotta make sure the player can choose the part they get and it's perfect.

--Stryfe

P.S. - Sex @ Lani. Where have you been? I haven't seen you on in ages. :lol:

Shadow Dancer
01-06-04, 07:46
Here's my idea. Put the terminator in the rare parts pool. For any new rares, just keep putting them in the rare parts pool. But until KK finally gets the drop/loot/run working the way they want it, THEN they should use that method for new rares. Until then, it should be the standard vanilla method of collecting rare parts from mobs.

s0apy
01-06-04, 11:00
Well, since the drop rate is really high, instead of the run giving you all the parts, they could just make it so the run will give you one of the parts instead.

heya lani. this and moofys idea are excellent, lateral-thinking type ways around the current situation. it won't happen of course but, as stryfex says, we can but dream.

one last thing occured to me about replacing rare-parts with single drops that lead to the acquisition of all parts of the item - this effectively removes any possibility of rare-part trading in conjunction with items that occur as a single (effectively) drop. if we used shadows idea, which is a good one, the trading-card method of swapping something useless to you, but useful to others, would disappear. only built rares or full part sets would get traded, since individual parts would never fall.

personally, trading techs is still something i greatly enjoy - gets you out and about and forces you to mix with people.

j0rz
02-06-04, 00:40

and how many of em will be slotted prolly 1 or 2 out of the 15 coz u know the slotting rate will suck on them and i bet the run takes as long as a epic

i think its a good idea

plague
02-06-04, 02:21
lol since the rav and dev have came out i only have 1 dev and 2ravs
gimme one i don't have non :( lol :D

Disturbed021
02-06-04, 02:41
I got 8 books in the first day after the patch. I know 2 clan members that had 4 and 7 respectively. Thats b4 I started just tossing them on the ground with the rest of the junk.
So a big NO to them not deleting them.

{MD}GeistDamnit
02-06-04, 03:19
I don't care if they wipe the books. Just as long as they implement the real drop's and runs as well in the same patch. :/

ezza
02-06-04, 13:07
i was a bit disapointed with the books, says Tl200 so though great make a load of beast drugs from that, but nope wasnt much use at all :(