PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else freeze for 10 seconds whilst playing?

veers
30-05-04, 12:03
Hi all,

I have come back to Neocron after about 6 months out and have patched up to date. I was happily running through CRP caves when my screen froze for 10 seconds making a noise sounding like a machine gun.

It then unfreezes and everything catches up with itself - then about 15 seconds later it does it again.

I have tried reinstalling windows, neocron and updated my video card driver.

My computer is a 2.8 gig with a gig of ram.

Anyone else having the same problem or better still - knows a fix for it.

Thanks for any info in advance
Woody

[edit]
I should add it isn't just at CRP it happens and I have scanned all the files - no problems]

retr0n
30-05-04, 12:31
Hi all,

I have come back to Neocron after about 6 months out and have patched up to date. I was happily running through CRP caves when my screen froze for 10 seconds making a noise sounding like a machine gun.

It then unfreezes and everything catches up with itself - then about 15 seconds later it does it again.

I have tried reinstalling windows, neocron and updated my video card driver.

My computer is a 2.8 gig with a gig of ram.

Anyone else having the same problem or better still - knows a fix for it.

Thanks for any info in advance
Woody

[edit]
I should add it isn't just at CRP it happens and I have scanned all the files - no problems]

Had that same problem, for me it turned out to be my gfx fan was not running
smoothly and it cost me my gfx card :( it got burned. So i suggest you clean
up inside and maybe get a new fan.

Might not be the same thing for you though.

- Primate

[TgR]KILLER
30-05-04, 12:34
yup had that to.. wasn't just my gfx card.. seems like some systems are just hugely affected by dust.. i had to rip my comp out of eachother like 1 time every 1/2 months and totaly clean it :s

dust or heat are my gueses.. don't have problems with it with my new comp luckly :)

veers
30-05-04, 12:35
Ah cool thanks - it could be that as my comp has been making a couple of strange noises recently.

*side panel off - cotton bud out - g0g0g0

Cheers will try that

Guin

[TgR]KILLER
30-05-04, 12:38
well just make sure all your fans are dust clean.. if its realy making noises like that i'm 90% sure its one of your fans just not turning real good beause it has heaps of dust in :lol:

retr0n
30-05-04, 12:39
KILLER']well just make sure all your fans are dust clean.. if its realy making noises like that i'm 90% sure its one of your fans just not turning real good beause it has heaps of dust in :lol:

exactly what happend to me, but i couldnt be arsed at that moment to dust
them clean properly so it cost me a gfx card :p

[TgR]KILLER
30-05-04, 12:50
lol i always had to dust it out cause my mobo got affeced by dust real bad :( 1 time in a month i HAD to clean it.. started with the comp crashing in games after a few hours... then comp crashing after a few min playing games.. and ended with not even being aible to boot to windows login normaly :lol: lucky my new comp has 0 probs and got a window :p so can see whats happending inside.

veers
30-05-04, 20:14
Hi again guys

Thanks for the advice. I took the side off my poota and got the earbud out. At this point I noticed that the capacitors on my motherboard had melted and had leaked everywhere.

This totalled my network card, video card, motherboard and modem. Oops

Thankfully I saved everything onto my portable harddrive and bought a new p00ta =]

Cheers again guys

Guin

[TgR]KILLER
30-05-04, 20:36
lmfao in other words.. you totaly comp is destroyed.. maybe put a window in your next one so you can see whats going on ;)

anyway... bet thats gonna be one hell of a bill :lol:

ou7blaze
30-05-04, 21:47
wow that sucks lol

suprised ur computer kept on running O_o

retr0n
30-05-04, 22:00
rofl yeah, wish i to could just go out and by a new one every time i screw up :p

veers
30-05-04, 22:57
yeh

I work with computers so have to have one. Being addicted to MMOs also means I have to have top of the range video card too ;)

The last one needed a bit doing to it as a virus had caused it to crash a lot. Although in hindsight - probably wasn't the virus and the smell probably wasn't our lassesd cooking :lol:

Ah well - got a nice machine now - even if it is a Compaq :mad:

Cheers again

Guin

ou7blaze
31-05-04, 21:54
I'm sorry but Compaq do not make computers O_o

Anyway you look at it, I have the best computer in the world, naimex's computer is basically redundant compared to mine ...

-Demon-
31-05-04, 22:00
I think you find they do O_o

I have plenty of lovely new compaq desktops at work as well as seeing them around the place still.

You may well find now they get made under HP which took over compaq.

You may well have a good pc but you also live in a place where you can buy cheap components which helps a fair bit, just outta interest whats your specs?

Also try not to swear above your avatar pic haha :D

@ guin - mate have you worked this out yet? And are you by any chance using windowsmode? It really screwed up on mine trying to use it(look at thread created by me)

Maloch Octavia
31-05-04, 22:01
I had this problem for a long time, and I eventually figured out what it was.

It wasn't that the fans weren't working properly, it was that my Graphics card which is a Ti4200, was overheating!!!

I eventually had to take the case side off and sit it next to my window. Only ever happened at CRP for some obscure reason.