PDA

View Full Version : Remove rank numbers.

Q`alooaith
30-05-04, 09:32
Ok, I'm sure there must be a few who remember the old rank dissplay system, well it's still there but the addtion to it has made PvP less of a risk and more of a number's game..

As the rank system is now;

NB, all rank number's and symbol's pulled outta thin air so use your brains.

Edwin the tank(>>>> 45/60) run's down the street and see's Joey the tank(>>> 35/40)..

He instantly know's he's much higher level's than Joey and so would probably win if he attacked, so he does and kill's joey with ease..

Now what I suggest is dropping the number's so only the rank symbol's remain, which would change it to this sorta thing..

Joey the tank (>>>) is walking down the street and see's Edwin the tank (>>>>) comming the other way, he know's that he's a few combat level's below edwin but he's not sure.. He attack's and get's killed easly..

When you take away the numebr's you get a much more interesting atmosphere, with people wary to attack each other at time's, and somtime's attacking people they'd never of attacked before....

So what you think..

if you don't care either way don't vote.

amfest
30-05-04, 09:41
Bring it .. I always liked it that way in beta. Now the whole swirly thing and rank is all about Ego. You saw how many people whinned about the secret stat thing being fixed so people's ranks reset to what they should be max. Bring it!

msdong
30-05-04, 10:12
thats a good one and dont forget to remove the Faction only clan should be displayed.

{MD}GeistDamnit
30-05-04, 10:15
I don't think it is much of a help or hinderance with the current status of neocron. Anyone playing now know's every character on their server :p

Oath
30-05-04, 10:17
If faction display is removed then that'd be a step in the right direction, i dont believe that we should have any visible ranking system, except via the city com, on name an clan should be displayed, this would make roleplaying possible, it would make spying and subversion possible, and above all, woul PWN.

{MD}GeistDamnit
30-05-04, 10:19
If faction display is removed then that'd be a step in the right direction, i dont believe that we should have any visible ranking system, except via the city com, on name an clan should be displayed, this would make roleplaying possible, it would make spying and subversion possible, and above all, woul PWN.

wtf? remove faction display? what will that do, red still = dead. and again everybody knows everybody :D

Oath
30-05-04, 10:21
wtf? remove faction display? what will that do, red still = dead. and again everybody knows everybody :D

Yeah thats true enough, but if we do get more of a playerbase with doy shouldnt we try to rp a little?

I'll start a new petition, RED=DEAD=KOS

{MD}GeistDamnit
30-05-04, 10:24
how is not knowing someone's faction RP? the level thing is ok,
I could care less either way with it. But both ideas are a waste of time that coders could be working on balence and such for doy.

Q`alooaith
30-05-04, 10:29
MD geist, I'll say this in bold so you and anyone else who need's to can read it easly...

I never suggested removal of the Faction dissplay

Now as to why remove the rank dissplay, it stop's number crunching play styles, you know the type the I'm ten overall level above you and have a higher combat rank I'm going to kill you because I know I can..

Early retail was great, you'd see a name in local, look and try and work out if they'd be a threat to you or not...

The idea is simple enough, remove the certainty that you will win a given fight... yea you might know your godlike at PvP, but you don't know for sure the level of the guy your about to attack, and might be in for a nasty shock..

{MD}GeistDamnit
30-05-04, 10:31
MD geist, I'll say this in bold so you and anyone else who need's to can read it easly...

I never suggested removal of the Faction dissplay

Now as to why remove the rank dissplay, it stop's number crunching play styles, you know the type the I'm ten overall level above you and have a higher combat rank I'm going to kill you because I know I can..

Early retail was great, you'd see a name in local, look and try and work out if they'd be a threat to you or not...

The idea is simple enough, remove the certainty that you will win a given fight... yea you might know your godlike at PvP, but you don't know for sure the level of the guy your about to attack, and might be in for a nasty shock..

umm yeah I know YOU dident .... Oath did :/

Oath
30-05-04, 10:32
umm yeah I know YOU dident .... Oath did :/

I still love you so it's ok :p :angel:

amfest
30-05-04, 10:33
how is not knowing someone's faction RP? the level thing is ok,
I could care less either way with it. But both ideas are a waste of time that coders could be working on balence and such for doy.
If you see someone walking down the street do you see a tag floating over their head that says terroist? No. You have to judge by their actions. talk to them. Challenge them. Investigate and watch. Take your chances and attack. Ignore them. Without the Tag you have to wonder if they are your ally or enemy. If you attack you could lose faction symptathy cause you attacked an ally. Think about cops when they accidently blow some federal agents cover. Sure people get to know each other but it's not so apparent in the begining. Also if people betray their faction and switch . . . and you still attack them you'd be risking again attacking an ally. Forces you to THINK before you pull your trigger.

Q`alooaith
30-05-04, 10:33
Yes, but you seamed to think MY, idea was bad because of somthing oath suggested...

This thread is just for talking about the removal of rank numerical dissplay.

Gotterdammerung
30-05-04, 10:34
There were no numbered ranks in beta, it was always a nice surprise after returning from the outzone and a friend noticing that you'd just turned 4 chevs into a star. If i recall correctly, some people who were hung up on wanting a numbered heirarchy pushed for it as they fealt the need to be differentiated from the guy who just got his 1st star today as opposed to them who'd gotten it a whole 4 days earlier and thus were higher up the rungs.

Reminds me of that french proverb "be careful what you wish for, you just may get it"

{MD}GeistDamnit
30-05-04, 10:41
Yes, but you seamed to think MY, idea was bad because of somthing oath suggested...

This thread is just for talking about the removal of rank numerical dissplay.

na I thought your idea was bad before Oath's idea. I would not mind if ranks were not displayed, I just dont see it as usefull in the current situation Neocron is in.

and @ amfest "If you see someone walking down the street do you see a tag floating over their head that says terroist?" no but I know a trouble maker when I see one, and I know a cop or army man when I see one. And in real life there are no "factions" ;) But in Neocron there are, games must have rules or they would suck. Besides what would you do with the clan tag?

Q`alooaith
30-05-04, 10:43
I remember feeling right pleased with myself when I got my first chev in beta, all that hard work getting to use a street model rifle...

Anyway, the number based system is not the bad part..

The bad part is being able to see overall level, I don't mind the combat rank number's too much...

It's just when you see the /60 guy beating on a /45 guy with similar combat rank's you know they'd have both been more wary in if they didn't know each other's overall level..

hegemonic
30-05-04, 11:03
Get rid of swirlies while you're at it...
I don't need some glowing sperm flying around my hand...<===bwahahahaha

Seriously though, great thread! ***** (instead of 5 stars) ok... need sleep now...

amfest
30-05-04, 11:05
na I thought your idea was bad before Oath's idea. I would not mind if ranks were not displayed, I just dont see it as usefull in the current situation Neocron is in.

and @ amfest "If you see someone walking down the street do you see a tag floating over their head that says terroist?" no but I know a trouble maker when I see one, and I know a cop or army man when I see one. And in real life there are no "factions" ;) But in Neocron there are, games must have rules or they would suck. Besides what would you do with the clan tag?
a clan tag can stay cause clans are basically like gangs in ways and certain groups like to wear colors or symbols that represent them. In an RP sense dispaying the clan tag above their head would be the equilavent of someone wearing a symbol to represent themselves. Example: I walk around with a yellow armband that displays an eagle on it ..therefore I belong to Eagle riders clan or something like that. Of course popular clans will be known for what faction they belong to but you have to think about it when you run into unclanned runners or new clans that sprout up.

[TgR]KILLER
30-05-04, 11:31
no somebody just made a point.. hell if you wanna fuck everything over remove all ranks but yea you also gotta remove all swirlies then because if a guy with a swirly comes running towards you and you don't have one you gonna run nomatter what rank.. most stupid idea ever din't play beta and beta is dead let it rest :rolleyes:

Sovellis
30-05-04, 11:33
Thats the thing with Neocron, people always want change. KK intorduce something new, and the other half of the gaming population are angry about it. KK give them something to be pleased about and yet again the other half complain.

Its one big vicious circle.

However this could be a good thing for lower lvl people, might stop them being PKd, especially those who get a * quicker than the average person because they know how to increase their combat rank. Could make lvling a lot easier, but then again, it could make things much harder.

amfest
30-05-04, 11:34
actualy swirlies were the most stupid idea :p

Sovellis
30-05-04, 11:37
Actually yeah, if swirlies were taken out it would make the game much more interesting. Maybe include some sort of intelligence skill that allows you to see the swirly, a higher lvl in the skill means you see a higher TL maybe :P

wait, no.... this isnt right.... BACK ON TOPIC FOOLS!!!!

craio
30-05-04, 11:50
Seems ok but chevron/star system needs to be reworked so it better displays the kind of 'danger' the person is to you. Don't think a lot of people will be seeing a *** droner as something to watch out for.

hegemonic
30-05-04, 12:06
Seems ok but chevron/star system needs to be reworked so it better displays the kind of 'danger' the person is to you. Don't think a lot of people will be seeing a *** droner as something to watch out for.

Hey, how about we use some sort of numbers ranking system? 8|

:sings: "The circle of life......"

ezza
30-05-04, 12:20
sure remove all the visable signs of rank, and watch as noob after noob gets ganked cos the people who often leave nibs alone wont be able to tell.

they will be killed regardless.

personally i like having the rank, so i can say hahahaha my rank is l33t0r tha yours, or complain that tanks cant get 3 stars etc.

oh and i like the swirlies there fun, whats the big deal .

Kasumi
30-05-04, 12:22
Remove them.. It may help with roleplay.. but remove rank from the mobs too..

Q`alooaith
30-05-04, 12:30
FFS, somone else is not reading the thread...

Ezza, I said the numerical rank's, you'd still be able to get ***, you'd just not see the /60 or whatever your overall level is..

Do you see the diffrence, or do I have to say all of the above again in big letters?

Cubico
30-05-04, 12:40
Hi,

how about to make it optional?
Then people who dont want to see other players' rank dont see them but others can still see their ranks? And add a flag that indicates if someone has deactivated faction/rank view.

Btw, the current system is not so good I think. If you are a sniper then you cant see what rank your victim has. Sniping (and droning) has nothing to do with a "honorable" fight, but not seeing other peoples rank prevents you from not attacking newbies.

ezza
30-05-04, 12:42
[ edited ]

[TgR]KILLER
30-05-04, 12:43
sure remove all the visable signs of rank, and watch as noob after noob gets ganked cos the people who often leave nibs alone wont be able to tell.

they will be killed regardless.

personally i like having the rank, so i can say hahahaha my rank is l33t0r tha yours, or complain that tanks cant get 3 stars etc.

oh and i like the swirlies there fun, whats the big deal .

god the first person i can rely on.. thanks ezza <3

indeed alot of tanks got "low" combat ranks even wheeling a cs.. and lowbie PE's or spies even monks get way higher ranks in their nib days then those cs tanks.. so they will have the same < < < thing.. nobody knows who are noobs so can't leave them alone because of that eighter..

another point on the same thing.. now a n00b can see a mad angry /60 tank running at him and leg it.. then a n00b wouldn't see shit just the same combat rank as him and think he is comming to level with him.. but ow.. he wasn't :/

@ Q`alooaith if you remove the /xx only it wouldn't make sence..

it doesn't make sence anyway to alter a damn game its fine how it is.. my advise for all the beta ppl who want the game back into beta state not only this thread but the others a little down to.. go play another damn game thats in beta and stop screwing nc up :rolleyes:

Q`alooaith
30-05-04, 12:44
Cubico, you didn't read the thread either..

Or would would have seen...

Rank Numbers I didn't say remove the rank's showing, just the rank number's so you'd not know somone overall level..

So again..

I talking about the rank number's, not the rank's, so a three start runner would still show three star's, but their numerical rank would not be visible

Now I've said it big enough for you to read it, I hope you take the time to.

Ezza yet again you miss the F'ing point.

0-15 or so it one slash rank so a 0/2 newbe would show a / alone, which they already do before the number's part, the number's part is what we are talking about.

If you still don't understand PM me and I'll put up a few screeny's to show what I mean.

msdong
30-05-04, 12:45
... shouldnt we try to rp a little?

omg u say te cursed word.

yes everybody i known and every clan is known. thas how it works. you know that Clan XY is BD so you start killin that guy.
when u dont know the clan you can look in te Term or dont care and start killin him and maybe lose faction symp.

its all a simple step towards kind of RP
;)

uh edit - yes swirl need to be removed

ezza
30-05-04, 12:45
[ edited ]

[TgR]KILLER
30-05-04, 12:47
yea doesn't change fuck all because of tanks getting only 50/ and monks can get 70/ removing overall ranks makes 0 sence @ all

Q`alooaith
30-05-04, 12:50
KILLER']yea doesn't change fuck all because of tanks getting only 50/ and monks can get 70/ removing overall ranks makes 0 sence @ all

this is where you miss the point..

you'd not see the overall level, so you'd only have the combat rank to go on..

I've seen /60 tank's with combat rank's lower than /45 tank's..

That is the point, you'd not know if the person in fron of you was nearly capped, or far from capped.

ezza
30-05-04, 12:52
this is where you miss the point..

you'd not see the overall level, so you'd only have the combat rank to go on..

I've seen /60 tank's with combat rank's lower than /45 tank's..

That is the point, you'd not know if the person in fron of you was nearly capped, or far from capped.
i never look at the second rank its all about the first so removal of the second changes nothing

[TgR]KILLER
30-05-04, 12:53
nor would the poor n00bs know if that guy came to level or kill his nib ass cause he don't know how high ranked he is.. still staying to the fact it doesn't help n00bs at all.. sure a pker doesn't see if the guy is a nib.. but the n00b won't see if the guy is comming to level or to kill his nuts :rolleyes: hardcore pkers just shoot everything imho.. so they don't care.. leaving the point it will only hurt the nibs..

but aint posting more about this stuff made my point.

Q`alooaith
30-05-04, 12:58
Attached screenshot's showing the idea..

as you can see, the first one is the current system, the second how is used to be, you can easly see this person's overall level mean's he's a high level player, but from his combat rank he don't look like it..

Now do you understand a little better, the little mark's by your name do mean somthing.

Sorry to the player shown in the shot, but it's a very good example of what I mean.

[TgR]KILLER
30-05-04, 13:03
HA! i just found something else i can put up.. what about tradeskillers ? now now now.. when your a /10 guy csting TL 170 nobody belives you.. but if you don't have overall ranks.. lol.. i just rerole a 0/2 spy char and say repairing TL 190/150 and behold i get a 5 slot cs to rep.. run off.. rerole again and do the same :lol: now i won't do that.. i know a whole list of tradeskillers so i won't have a problem.. but n00bs wouldn't stand a change getting in there cause nobody would trust them :p

Kasumi
30-05-04, 13:06
If it doesnt change anything [TgR]KILLER than why are you making such big deal??

Q`alooaith
30-05-04, 13:10
if your stupid enough to hand over your prized weapon to somone you don't know and have not used before without asking about you should expect to lose it...

If somone's got over 100 repair and they are not a combat char, then somone will have used them, and so on..

SilentEye
30-05-04, 13:15
All I wonder about is why I have to be the one who gets killed sniff
My name is Joey ^..^

Max Jefferson
30-05-04, 13:20
Best idea in ages... I suggested it a couple times in the past, but never really got noticed.

Right now, I have a character which is part of a small tribe of -100 SLs, they are all fresh characters, and therefore, are all around 5/10 ish. I cannot describe how annoying it is when someone comes into your home (we're based somewhere in the wastelands), see's a 5/10, "lol"s a couple dozen times, and procedes to gank you several dozen times while "omg n00b"ing.

The way it stands now, RP doesn't exist in Neocron, and the reason for that is... it cannot exist. The rank system seriously hampers any chance of RP, the people that gank us are not your usual hardcore PKers that attack any and all ranks, they are simply looking for some easy red kills, which is fair enough, but but having a number floating over your head basicaly telling them in very clear terms "Hello sir, I am a very low level character. I am currently wearing no armour. I am currently using a shabby weapon. Please feel free to kill me as you will probably only need to use 1/2 burst from your CS".

If visible rank were to be removed (all of it, no / - *** either) as well as swirlies on rare weapons, combat in Neocron would become much more "intelligent". PKers would actually have to think about situations... "Ok, he's got what looks like a street model rifle, so chances are he's low level, plus he's slowly backing away from my unlabeled plasma cannon, so he might think it is a CS" or "Ok, now this guy is using an assault rifle type weapon, so it could be a Pain Easer, hang on, it just took him a full clip to kill that bat...".

The only possible use for visible ranks as they are now, is pure ego. And if you ask me, I think Neocron's got enough of that already. Since the new rank system was added, famous PKers have all but vanished, because people no longer look at the name of a player, but the rank. Back in beta days, certain names appearing in your local list induced much fleeing of newbies (Nathan Profit anyone?). I think there would be a lot more to brag about if you attacked and killed a group of people, when you had no idea what rank they were. Since it would take a lot of guts to do so. The way it stands now, the majority of PvP (excluding duels and things) consists of 2 situations, an easy click-and-kill, or being completely ganked. Simply because most people (even if they claim to only attack people their own or higher rank) will instinctivly attack someone they are pretty sure they can beat.

The removal of visible ranks would really improve Neocron combat and RP possibles in my opinion, and I think most people would agree, as you can see from the poll results so far.

Cubico
30-05-04, 14:29
[QUOTE=Q`alooaith]Cubico, you didn't read the thread either..

I talking about the rank number's, not the rank's, so a three start runner would still show three star's, but their numerical rank would not be visible
QUOTE]

I know.
But again, 1st this could be optional and 2nd snipers currently dont see any rank information when they are not close to the enemy.

Birkoff
26-11-04, 14:49
lol, we all remember getting out first star :)

removing the first rank might be kewl.
Keep the 2nd rank and the symbol.

Bugs Gunny
26-11-04, 14:59
Remove the entire rank, even the star, and the static rank.
Just faction, master if he is, then clantag.

Much more interesting this way, and so what if an enemy noob dies (no le) it's a war between empires. He was in a dangerous place at a dangerous time.

devore
26-11-04, 18:36
Arguing for the safety of noobs is pretty pointless, I've started a few new characters recently and the rank system doesn't seem to be saving me from high lvl pks. Not whining, just saying that using that as an argument against removing rank is a pretty redundant point at the moment.

Genty
26-11-04, 18:42
I was just thinking, now i have defo heard this idea several times before and this thread even sounds familiar.....now, can you tell me what the point of bringing back a Thread from May was?

Spoon
26-11-04, 19:56
Nice bump....... :lol:

El Jimben
26-11-04, 21:17
Much more interesting this way, and so what if an enemy noob dies (no le) it's a war between empires. He was in a dangerous place at a dangerous time.

Agreed, only be near enemy territory if you can either run fast, pwn good or stealth for LONGTIME!

Cliffraiser
27-11-04, 18:06
<3 it 5 stars

Babai
27-11-04, 18:22
Personaly, the rank sysem means that the game is not a skill based game but rather a dice roll based game. Why would I care about the other person rank? only to see if I can take on him. So dunno. You cant be competitive in PvP without a capped cahr, so yeah ranks tell you if you have a chance.

Doc Holliday
27-11-04, 18:31
who bumped the old thread?

Nidhogg
28-11-04, 00:05
Bumping confuses people more.

N