Quote Originally Posted by Model192
    Work on THIS CLIENT.
    They tried and failed, because of the code being a mess beyond being fixable. The whole idea of NC:R was born out of this very fact. At this point work and time needed to fix the current game version, introduce changes and add new stuff seems to be better put into rewriting stuff on a new engine. Atleast that is obviously the assessment made by Kirk and his team, when they evaluated what the next steps should/could/would be in case they don't get production of a real NC 3 going.

FIX THE ACCOUNT CREATION.
    Because of the aforementioned this will stay as is aswell. No one but a bunch of die hard fanboys would pay for the game in it's current state.

Addendum:

Anyways we're having those discussions about the messy netcode and missing anti-cheat measures for what five, six years now (at least)? Everytime the end of the line is some official saying that fixing/improving the netcode is not possible (in an effecient way from a commercial point of view) because of the code being a mess and a mix of two engines already. For the same reasons it seems to be rather difficult to get the anti-cheat stuff to work properly.

So I truely believe beyond any discussion about what the best payment model is that in order to get a less flawed version of the game that might even be stable if more than 80 people are running around in the same zone the NC:R idea is the right thing to do.

I think starting fresh is the best idea in terms of development.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Quote Originally Posted by Biglines
    mac client is likely to be used as well, bunch of people here work on macs.
    I know I will get a lot of hate for it but for me Macs are PC's. It even is the same hardware by now. The only thing keeping the less educated Mac users away from a bunch of games is that game devs rarely support unix based operating systems (which the more educated and willing to learn users easily circumvent by installing Windows in parallel or using wine/crossover) and apple still thinks it is a good idea to keep control over what people can and can not do on their hardware.

And yet we have players already familiar with the code having coded anti cheat patches already. I know plenty of top notch programmers that say its not even that horribly bad.
    <-December 2001, do you see that?

And yet we have players already familiar with the code having coded anti cheat patches already. I know plenty of top notch programmers that say its not even that horribly bad.

Really? Where?
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

I personally don't mind how the client is accessed/distributed. Also I do not understand people who seem to be at war with browser based clients. There is nothing bad about it. Sure, there is a 30% performance drop compared to a stand alone client, but come on, to render NC-like graphics you do not need much performance. Being able to access Neocron even from the computers at university/at work would be great. Logging in during lunch/coffee break, therefore also being able to show the game to colleagues and persuading them to play. This would also make it more easy for people to try Neocron without having to worry much. You do not need to wait an hour before the client finally downloaded. That's great. Apart from that an important point of browser clients is that they are implemented with having cross-platform usage in mind.

Nevertheless, there should definitely be the possibility to completely install the client onto one's harddisk. Depending on how the local cache works this might safe bandwidth.

But in the end I don't care what kind(s) of client(s) KK will offer, the only important thing is fullscreen support and Neocron.

And yet we have players already familiar with the code having coded anti cheat patches already.
    Are you referring to the guys that took those logs created by the server we all got with 172 patch and wrote some parser that would go over them listing who did what and thought that was hell of an effort, offered it to KK only to find they didn't care because A) Neocron 2 is a done deal and B) they obviously would already have such nice little helper tools given the fact that they (the Devs at KK) coded the actual "anti cheat patch" that creates those logs??

oops did I spoil some secrets just now?

Quote Originally Posted by MadMeleeFreak
    Are you referring to the guys that took those logs created by the server we all got with 172 patch and wrote some parser that would go over them listing who did what and thought that was hell of an effort, offered it to KK only to find they didn't care because A) Neocron 2 is a done deal and B) they obviously would already have such nice little helper tools given the fact that they (the Devs at KK) coded the actual "anti cheat patch" that creates those logs??

oops did I spoil some secrets just now?
    No. Talking about actual core. Nice try though.
    <-December 2001, do you see that?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12