Thread: Mandarin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mandarin

So I know Nibby is learning Japanese at the moment and I've been tempted to start learning Mandarin, the most common language in China, so far I've just found random mini flash tutorials and other little bits here and there.

Does anyone here know Mandarin or anything about it?

Quote Originally Posted by cRazy-
    So I know Nibby is learning Japanese at the moment and I've been tempted to start learning Mandarin, the most common language in China, so far I've just found random mini flash tutorials and other little bits here and there.

Its used in china

im ur resident (usa - cali) neocronplaying china man.

(yes im actually from china! and yes i actually speak chinese! and yes i also speak engrish! and yes i speak 3 other languages!)

but uh yeah enough self promo.

best way to learn chinny is to go hang out with chinnies...
    I'm back. Fear The Red Douche.
    I R MINIC! HEAR ME ROAR!

@Crazy: PM me the link-farm you surely have collected so far on that topic :-)
    Troll, troll, troll your post, Gently down the feed. Merrily, merrily troll along, A life is what you need!

- eLcHi - Silvana Starbreeze -
    - Knuddelchen (TiTTi) - Puss in Boots (Pussi) -
    - for the Freedom Force ! -

I have been learning Mandarin for two years now at my local university. Grammar is not that hard, but the really hard thing is it's a completely alien language when your native language is european.

You'll need to spend a lot of time writing lines of characters regularly and you'll definitely need help with prununciation. When saying "ma", there are five possible tones, each one changing the meaning of the word from "horse", to "mother" or "insult".

You'll need a lot of time, but the good thing is japanese will be easier after this because you'll roughly now the meaning of kanjis. You'll also be able to understand what any chinese writes. Understanding what they say is another story.

I don't know how things go on your side of the pond, but try to get your hands on the most used method (with tapes, or CD's -you get my drift)used in universities and find chinese pals to check your prununciation from time to time.

Methods for learning mandarin in a short span of time can be helpful as a supplement. Alone they might not be enough for a long-term learning.

In the end you'll have to spend some time in China or your Mandarin will only be good written.
    Last edited by Sanctity; 16-05-06 at 09:13.
    "And don't forget kids: if you give a man a fish, he will have food for one day, but if you set him on fire, he will no longer need to be fed."

War Ensemble - HC Heavy Metal Private Eye
    Decade of Aggression - Arsonist Psi Monk Inquisitor
    Angel Van Halen - MC Tank
    Leon Knives - Rifle Spy

Quote Originally Posted by cRazy-

Keep this is mind (although it's already been stated). English, German, Spanish, etc are all based loosely off of latin. Mandarin is not.

I want longer stealth :(

The BBC have some good language tutorials. You can learn Mandarin here.

Never attempted any Mandarin myself, although i did dabble in Cantonese once when i had to teach a student who knew no english.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanzaki Iejir
    Also, let history know, nobby was the master stragetist in this battle, while the desk of help produced the small battleplan, nobby was the first on to spot the weakness in the enemy lines.
    Next time we go to war, that's us fucked then

Oh dear crazy.

My girlfriends best mate, in an effort to avoid student loan repayments has just finished a course in teaching english as a foreign language. She's off to china in june, and has been cramming mandarin for the last 6 months.

Apparently, the way our language works, and the mechanisms involved are the biggest impedement in learning it, french and spanish and most euro languages all have reasonably close ties with English, mandarin is totally alien.

All I can say is good luck pal
    Quote Originally Posted by NAPPER
    yes but with 10 more dex they will be xbow tanks i nealy had 60 million over cap in dex on my old tank and with the plus to dex they will be able to get a good damage on it. will they ????

I tried it, hated it.

Stuck with Japanese!

do the same!
    Nobby...Staying since 2003, and Never leaving!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nidhogg
    Noob! Thread closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoder
    The hamster didn't read the epilepsy warning today and is currently being resuscitated. Please stand by...

I must admit I'm having a blast learning it though. People no longer blink when they hear japanese in the street nowadays, but man Mandarin... ah ah ah , oh wow. Good times.
    "And don't forget kids: if you give a man a fish, he will have food for one day, but if you set him on fire, he will no longer need to be fed."

Leon Knives - Rifle Spy

I learnt a bit of a chinese dialect from a colleague afew years ago when i worked in a hospital in north borneo.

Swearing and food, start with those as they provide the most amusement and use.

Basically, practice. Just stick with it and keep speaking it, watching some dubbed kung fu movies might help.

Ni de lien how sia lan chau.

nihongo is harder than zhong guo hua. By far.
    Mandarin's sentence structures at least make sense to the normal english speaker.
    S e k h m e t

really?

The 5 Mo's are easier to understand than nihongo to the english speaker?

Thats bollocks and you know it!
    Noob! Thread closed.
    The hamster didn't read the epilepsy warning today and is currently being resuscitated. Please stand by...

Grammar in Mandarin isn't hard, and I'll give you that much. But. When a japanese speaks, regardless of the vocabulary he uses, you can actually picture in your mind romaji, or the syllabs. When a chinese speaks you have to figure which tone he is using for EACH syllab, and which word he is actually referring to. Shitloads of homonyms in chinese too, but with the added difficulty of tones.

Easy exemple: pick your average (not fluent in any asian language) friend and have him read the following sentences:

watashi no namae wa akira
    wo shi mei guo ren

The first sentence will cause minor trouble for a japanese to understand, while the second sentence will never, never be understood by a native chinese. Learning Mandarin in the long run is like learning to use your tongue differently. Not so easy, since it's something we take for granted past childhood.
    Last edited by Sanctity; 18-05-06 at 23:35.

Leon Knives - Rifle Spy

Japanese is syllables- I find it has a very simple word order which you can adjust to easily.
    Cow heavy is ( also there's no "the" or "a" or "plaural" so it can be cows are heavy and It's easy to understand the speaker by this. )
    pigeon clever is
    nidhogg smelly is
    and so on. also like our past tense, we add "ed" to the verb- doing word, ( knock-knocked) in japanese, "ikimasu" (pronounced i-ki-mass) meaning go, to put into past just remove the "u" and add shita (sh-ta) ikimasu-ikimashita go-went easy!
    and they say all our j's w's g's ( well like a "ga" than jee)

chinese is alien tbh

like mumemahuen

too hard and smelly for me.
    Noob! Thread closed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast