Quote Originally Posted by rob444
    Doesn't NTFS try to protect the harddrive from external usage on another computer? I mean, if you take out your system drive and put it into another computer and try to access the user's files under "my document" for example, you wont be able too, most likely because you are not the owner of those documents. I _think_ you could create an account with the same username as before and with the same password and you should be able to access those files *hopefully*.
    You cant so easy create identical user account on other computer
    Account from other computer/windows installations will be visible like:
    {S-1-5-21-1409082233-1801674531-682003330-500}
    To make fake account matching oryginal account (if its even possible never tried it) you will prolly need do much work in windows registry ....

but this i wrote earlier:

2nd. Check Access Rights / Owner status of that folder (RMB/Properites/Security) if there will be smt like Administrator or YourUserName with all (or at least Read) rights granted then its nothing to do here but if there is no administrator/normal user at all or they are w/o Read you can try Advanced button , Owner tab and change ownership of that folders (including sbfolders and files) for your current Administrator profile then grant self all right to access them.
    is solution for geting ownership/access rights to files on NTFS drives from other computer/windows installations

Roger Ramjet Fanboy Number 1 RogerRamjet's Avatar

Jesus christ nobby, for a guy who works in a PC store your computer breaks alot

Only advice i can offer is never save your coursework solely to your hard drive.

I went through the effort of using 2 or so different copies on floppies.

Other than that, tried windows repair? Put in the win xp cd, boot it and run repair.

I don't understand the smelly commands I have to put in at that screen...
    Nobby...Staying since 2003, and Never leaving!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nidhogg
    Noob! Thread closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoder
    The hamster didn't read the epilepsy warning today and is currently being resuscitated. Please stand by...

The Don sends his regards rob444's Avatar
    Sweden where polarbears are walking the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by nobby
    I don't understand the smelly commands I have to put in at that screen...
    Then google, there are tons of useful information out there and even tutorials on how to repair your windows.
    /Rob

K ta !

edit : http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q307654

I don't understand what I'd have to put in
    Last edited by nobby; 08-01-06 at 14:04.
    Noob! Thread closed.
    The hamster didn't read the epilepsy warning today and is currently being resuscitated. Please stand by...

It sounds like your old files are still registered to your old windows xp account. All you have to do is sign in under your administrator on your new winxp and set ownership to include your new account. (make sure the 'include subfolders' is selected)
    These settings are under rightclick-properties-security, and I think theres an advanced or something button there, or maybe its on the first screen, i forget.
    Take some solace in these words, take notice of this place.
    Hollow whispers that they are, like the wind upon my face.
    Just sing sofly in my ear and look at me with wonder.
    I will try to ease your fear as the darkness pulls you under.

Talking

Its pretty stupid to not print your school work after your done, i allways do that.

A little hint for the future:
    Create two separate partitions, let's call them C:\ and D:\. C:\ is for Windows and applications, D:\ is for your data (including homework).
    The next time Windoze goes south on you, all you need to do is reformat C:\ and reinstall Windoze. Of course, an additional backup is never wrong. It covers things like the accidental format D:\, when you really wanted to format C:\
    Ingame: Schneeflittchen (Mars), Evilynne, Shredder and Rabiator on Terra

Indeed Rabi, on this machine I have 11 partitions over three hard drives. It's always best to store important data on a different partition, possibly disallowing access to one that contains sensitive data (like credit details or possibly your homework, you never know).

I was playing neocron the other day and fatal'd, randomly got spyware and such at that very moment, and I wasn't doing anything to even be close to explaining how it got on board. I also manually force Internet Explorer to be unusable since it's one of the most lethal pieces of Microsoft software. Just formatted my windows install partition and reinstalled it from scratch; I tend to format that partition often, it helps keep the partition in nice healthy order without needing to waste twice as much time defragging it. The only thing I lost was my GTA San Andreas install because I entirely forgot about it at the time (probably 4am ish before I went to work, meh). :P
    "If you think it's simple, then you have misunderstood the problem." -Bjarne Stroustrup

Quote Originally Posted by Dromidas
    It sounds like your old files are still registered to your old windows xp account. All you have to do is sign in under your administrator on your new winxp and set ownership to include your new account. (make sure the 'include subfolders' is selected)
    These settings are under rightclick-properties-security, and I think theres an advanced or something button there, or maybe its on the first screen, i forget.

Sorry, Where do I right click?
    Noob! Thread closed.

Are you still able to see the folder like "Nobby's Documents"? You need to rightclick on that folder.

It should be under (default setting) c:\documents and settings\nobby_old\nobby's documents

Oh I almost forgot, incase you're not winxp savvy I might as well explain this as its quick and easy. Incase you can't see the "Security" tab when you rightclick, you have to open up windows explorer and go to Tools, Folder options, then View, then scroll down till you find "Simple File Sharing". Uncheck that box.
    You should be able to see security now.

Now that I'm looking at it, under Security tab click that Advanced button, you should see an Owner tab. You'll want to add your account name in that bottom box that says "Change owner to:". Only the administrator (or I think an account flagged with Admin rights) can do it, so make sure you're logged in as admin. Either way, Admin can't give access to other accounts, can only take ownership.

MAKE SURE TO HAVE "Replace owner on subcontainer and objects" checked or you'll have to do it again for every subfolder and its a huge pain in the ass :P

Think I covered everything after like 8 edits :P But if you get confused I might have missed something so don't hesitate to ask.
    Last edited by Dromidas; 08-01-06 at 16:34.

English Lead Moderator, Community Consultant Nidhogg's Avatar

I'm sorry but this is BS. There's no way that a game crashing is going to destroy your operating system. What's far more likely is that whatever took out your OS also took out the game (since games don't run very well on broken machines). Blaming lost coursework on Neocron is such a crap excuse - let me know how you get on with that back at school.

N
    Nidhogg
    Forum Administration
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»Thanks for stopping by«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRONPLAY NEOCRONFACEBOOKTWITTERIRCGET SUPPORTFORUM RULESRULES OF CONDUCT

I'm sorry but this is BS. There's no way that a game crashing is going to destroy your operating system. What's far more likely is that whatever took out your OS also took out the game (since games don't run very well on broken machines). Blaming lost coursework on Neocron is such a crap excuse - let me know how you get on with that back at school.

N
    Nidhogg is mostly right though, neocron likely didn't cause it by itself. There was likely either some overclocking going on and a timing issue happened to cause corruption of your registry, or a massive driver conflict of magnificent proportions, or simple harddrive failure (caused by many things).
    Could also be a failing or malfunctioning network card, RAM, or even the result of a power failure.
    Games, taking up a large amount of ram/cpu, tend to act as a catalyst and cause problems to occur where otherwise they would have laid dormant. (certain games which use certain methods to do things, like for example NC2 might cause the crash where an opengl game (nwn) may not have, or an online game vs offline game)

Well said Nidhogg.
    "If you think it's simple, then you have misunderstood the problem." -Bjarne Stroustrup

Doesn't NTFS try to protect the harddrive from external usage on another computer? I mean, if you take out your system drive and put it into another computer and try to access the user's files under "my document" for example, you wont be able too, most likely because you are not the owner of those documents. I _think_ you could create an account with the same username as before and with the same password and you should be able to access those files *hopefully*.

Other than that, tried windows repair? Put in the win xp cd, boot it and run repair.
    Nope that doesn't work. I think you are generated a unique ID when you create an account.. and this ID is used to check security privledges.

What you can do though, is if you are an administrator, is to take ownership of the files/folders in question and change the security that way.

Eddie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast