Default Connection to gameserver via OS X

So I'm working on a wine wrapper for OS X to launch and play Neocron...

All goes well until connecting to the server, where I am presented with this error in the logs

Code:
    WINSOCKMGR : Bind recv socket HostIP 0, Addr:42018058, Port:31337
    WINSOCKMGR : Bind send socket HostIP 0, Addr:42018058, Port:31338
    WINSOCKMGR : Bind recv socket HostIP 1, Addr:37212938, Port:31337
    WNSOCKMGR :   The requested address is a broadcast address, but the appropriate flag was not set. Call setsockopt with the SO_BROADCAST parameter to allow the use of the broadcast address. 
    WINSOCKMGR : Bind recv socket failed, Addr 37212938  Port:31337
    GAMENETMGR : ConnectionMgr Join Session Failed

Exception created WORLDCLIENT : Connection failed : Another Neocron client is already running. Please restart your game client and specify a new local port in the Neocron Launcher configuration.
    There is not another Neocron client running. Can @Zoltan take a look into the net code for this and possibly correct the issue so that Wine (Linux and OS X) will not need a work around to connect?

The work around was posted in the Neocron on Linux Wiki entry, but it does not work for OS X.

Thanks! Neocron on OS X would be a great way to expand your runner base.

Edit-

Also, poking around the NC files, it seems that player.ini has an interesting TutorialName filled in, didn't know if you were all calling your new players that name or not

I'm afraid Neocron is only officially supported and developed on Windows OS. So it's unlikely there will be a fix.

However as you know, there are unofficial work around's to make Neocron work on Linux and other non-windows OS's. We do welcome your's and anyone else's efforts to post work arounds so long as it doesn't break the rules of conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakomi43 View Post
    Also, poking around the NC files, it seems that player.ini has an interesting TutorialName filled in, didn't know if you were all calling your new players that name or not
    That's an interesting little Easter egg.
    Bifrost
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»What's that coming over the hill? Is it a Warbot?«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • DISCORD • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT

Quote Originally Posted by Bifrost View Post
    I'm afraid Neocron is only officially supported and developed on Windows OS. So it's unlikely there will be a fix.

However as you know, there are unofficial work around's to make Neocron work on Linux and other non-windows OS's. We do welcome your's and anyone else's efforts to post work arounds so long as it doesn't break the rules of conduct.
    Aware of this, however the work around does not work on OS X. It is literally a Winsock issue with the net host connecting back to you guys that needs a tweak.

Quote Originally Posted by Bifrost View Post
    That's an interesting little Easter egg.
    Quite lol

former king of saturn

Change the game port in the launcher to 42424 and report back with this same clipping. Linux doesn't suffer this issue at all, it is a problem with OSX...most likely related to a firewall or security app.

Quote Originally Posted by Divide View Post
    Change the game port in the launcher to 42424 and report back with this same clipping. Linux doesn't suffer this issue at all, it is a problem with OSX...most likely related to a firewall or security app.
    Code:
    HostIP : 10.37.129.2
    HostIP : 10.211.55.2
    HostIP : 127.12.34.56
    HostIP : 192.168.5.125
    WINSOCKMGR : Bind recv socket HostIP 0, Addr:42018058, Port:42424
    WINSOCKMGR : Bind send socket HostIP 0, Addr:42018058, Port:42425
    WINSOCKMGR : Bind recv socket HostIP 1, Addr:37212938, Port:42424
    WNSOCKMGR :   The requested address is a broadcast address, but the appropriate flag was not set. Call setsockopt with the SO_BROADCAST parameter to allow the use of the broadcast address. 
    WINSOCKMGR : Bind recv socket failed, Addr 37212938  Port:42424
    GAMENETMGR : ConnectionMgr Join Session Failed

Exception created WORLDCLIENT : Connection failed : Another Neocron client is already running. Please restart your game client and specify a new local port in the Neocron Launcher configuration.
    Same, it is not happy with the network setup, the networking on this game needs a serious overhaul honestly...

Linux used to suffer this issue and you had to make a hosts file entry with your hostname and external IP, but this was fixed in some version of Wine.

former king of saturn

Linux had a problem connecting to the gameserver, but I don't know if there is really evidence to support this being the same problem.

How can I mimic this logging you are receiving? There isn't a reason why NC should utilize a broadcast address, so that error you are seeing hopefully is a red herring.

Bonus points for correlation of IP and network device/service if you can do so. Also, wireshark.

former king of saturn

You connect through HostIP : 10.37.129.2 and bomb @ HostIP : 10.211.55.2

See about putting that in your hosts file.

I believe those IP's are my VPN...

Code:
    lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
    	options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
    	inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 
    	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000 
    	inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1 
    	nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>
    gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
    stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
    en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    	options=6b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_HWTAGGING,TSO4,TSO6>
    	ether d8:cb:8a:14:ba:88 
    	inet6 fe80::dacb:8aff:fe14:ba88%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4 
    	inet 192.168.5.125 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.5.255
    	nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>
    	media: autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control,energy-efficient-ethernet>)
    vnic0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    	options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
    	ether 00:1c:42:00:00:08 
    	inet 10.211.55.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.211.55.255
    	media: autoselect
    vnic1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    	options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
    	ether 00:1c:42:00:00:09 
    	inet 10.37.129.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.37.129.255
    	media: autoselect

I'll do some tracing later, it is 3:20 AM here right now so bed time for me

I'd just be playing through Parallels Desktop if the mouse would behave, but it won't, so I'd like to get this rolling through wineskin if all possible I guess.

former king of saturn

Looks like the game is trying to bind to multiple nics on the same port and is freaking. Try disabling your VPN interfaces momentarily to see if that alleviates anything. Long-term, not sure if there is a way to launch WINE with a specified nic attached but it seems possible.