Default Will this ever be available on Steam?

Will this ever be available on Steam? If its posted on Steam it might get more exposure and more players. Even if its Free to play. I've seen other games like "Face of Mankind" there and I'd bet they've gotten some more players from it being there.
    We're all built up with progress, but sometimes I must confess. We can deal with rockets and dreams, but this reality, what does it mean? And nothings said....

As a MMO player and Steam user Ive followed the Face of Mankind deployment at the Steam network, from the initial player exponential sign ups to the current players online.

Please, check the image below where you can see 538 peak players to today with a 17 average players.

faceofmankind-steam.PNG
    Source: http://steamcharts.com/app/299700

Why ?... this is the "why" in my honest oppinion.

Steam (for us) is a one shot chance that "only" works propperly when appears at the splash screen or promoted. Neocron is not DOTA, GTA 5 or CS, we are on a scifi/cyberpunk niche content that will retatin players if everything works fine.

A steam launch would be done without bugs, with more content, more tutorials and with a server capacity to load all incoming new players. If those new players arrive at the city and see a problem, any little cloud at the sky, they will leave Neocron as happened to Face of Mankind.

On the other side, Greenlight launchs must follow a procedure and sometimes to fit the game system to Steam, nowadays, that time would be dedicated to the game core.

I think that NST would use Steam shot when NC runs smooth and even have a higher player base... let me see... like using Steam as they do not need it, to improve player base, not to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by tusinuno View Post
    As a MMO player and Steam user Ive followed the Face of Mankind deployment at the Steam network, from the initial player exponential sign ups to the current players online.

Please, check the image below where you can see 538 peak players to today with a 17 average players.

faceofmankind-steam.PNG
    Source: http://steamcharts.com/app/299700

Why ?... this is the "why" in my honest oppinion.

Steam (for us) is a one shot chance that "only" works propperly when appears at the splash screen or promoted. Neocron is not DOTA, GTA 5 or CS, we are on a scifi/cyberpunk niche content that will retatin players if everything works fine.

A steam launch would be done without bugs, with more content, more tutorials and with a server capacity to load all incoming new players. If those new players arrive at the city and see a problem, any little cloud at the sky, they will leave Neocron as happened to Face of Mankind.

On the other side, Greenlight launchs must follow a procedure and sometimes to fit the game system to Steam, nowadays, that time would be dedicated to the game core.

I think that NST would use Steam shot when NC runs smooth and even have a higher player base... let me see... like using Steam as they do not need it, to improve player base, not to survive.

yOU COMPARE NC TO fOmk!?!?! madness

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    yOU COMPARE NC TO fOmk!?!?! madness
    NO... of course not.

I compare any Steam based tactic to survive to the failure of FoM deployment.
    Wouldnt like to see NC exploding a couple of months to finally be desert after the third month.

As a new player, I can safely say that this game is a hot mess for newbies. Steam would be great but it'd be a short-lived success as your guys are saying. I played back in beta and for a long time through neocron 1 and it is SUCH a great game past the beginning parts. Maybe I'm just spoiled on games holding my hand through the beginner phase but I guarantee I'm not the only one.

Order of the Black Flame yavimaya's Avatar

Its sad that people want thier hands held TBH.
    the atmosphere of NC was ruined the day newbie MC5 and the tutorials went in.

I remember logging into beta 4 all those years ago, taking the elevator down to the street, walking out into P2 and hearing the booming "NCPD has an eye on you!" and the rest, 100% atmosphere straight away.

i think if the tutorials had have been in and i didnt get that hit of cyberpunk, the game would not have made anywhere near the impression that it did.

The other thing which was great back then which has been watered down so, so much is that it was hardcore, strippers used to be naked, when you died you dropped your pack, basically what was an M rated game was actually an M rated game, unlike now where an M rated game is basically a G rated game with guns.

Dont know what exatly the NST is planing to do, but i would just remove newbiemc5 and the tutorial, its annoying and doesnt explain anything to new players. Like you said, just let them step on the streets of neocron. Do a big red line of text in the discription of TG/CM that they wont live in neocron, so the first days can get harder than they used to. Put signs at the oz apparments to show new onces where to get to plaza.
    A rework of the mails a new player gets would also be cool.

at least fix the bug with the newbie drone and there we go

It was always the intention - as i understand it - to market the game when it is in a stable state without bugs and relatively balanced.

The problem is acheiving that aim is another thing entirely. The team is honestly too small to make any changes on any timescale and this hampers then hugely. They dont have the resources, manpower or possibly funding to be able to convey any deadline or keep to it.

This game to me is effectively like a hobby that someone has kept around in their digital shed to tinker with every now and then for nostalgic purposes but not to market to be anything more than that. It is behind the drag curve these days hugely and due to the inherited problems of previous developers.

Dont get me wrong theyve done a grand job to get it to this point but the longer time draws on the more people will naturally get bored and leave and with a complete lack of advertising (due to the first point) the game will only survive on word of mouth and fan support.

It is very much a chicken and egg story.

Everyone here who still comes by the forum does so for nostalgia but even the forum has died off now. There arent the people there used to be as nobody posts hardly. People just lurk.

1. The game needs someone to have the balls to be open and honest and state some facts about what is happening behind the scenes. This will give the word of mouth something to say and hopefully inject a bit of life into the lurkers who do read but not post.

2. Then it needs some content, something to give people to play with. Get them in, get them being rewarded for helping to support the game in whatever way they choose to do so. Could be in game items or other stuff who knows.

3. Then it needs the remaining bugs and other stuff ironing out and then it needs to be released on steam.

The problem is, I dont see it ever getting past step 1.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Don't games on steam have to pay some money to Valve?

A lot of the "free" games on steam have cash shops. Loads. Neocron has none and unless Neocron is designed to make a profit or dividend then it's pointless to have it on steam. Get a few extra numbers but then what? They will get bored and leave and it will be of no consequence because no money has been made.

Neocron needs to make money in order to develop. William is right. Its more like a hobby developing this game. Fair play to the neocron support team but these are terrible times for online games. Neocron has potential but it is struggling.

Most players here are nostalgic veterans. Fresh players or players who are used to more polished games will be turned off completely, despite the great cyberpunk aesthetics. Graphics are outdated, tutorial area is very clunky and poorly implemented, game is unbalanced and this game has bugs and annoyances to make modern gamers go "nah".

This is one hell of a fixer upper. Massive respect to the NST but you guys need more help. Kickstart, crowd funding or just a shit load of volunteer coders to whack out a huge content patch. Also develop a business model. A reasonable cash shop and a better marketing presence. Twitter and facebook aint cutting it. Get on Steam or shack up with one of those publishers that has loads of freemium mmo games under their belt.

Otherwise we are stuck in a rut. Our nostalgia goggles can only keep the glint for so long.
    I’m going to become rich and famous after I invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

It also needs a proper project manager but thats a whole other story.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

zoltan is everything in one person william, dare you not knowing that

Quote Originally Posted by William Antrim View Post
    It also needs a proper project manager but thats a whole other story.
    Eh. Just give Brammers the position.

I'm sure I'm not alone in my fears for neocron. It's late April and still no new patch or any information regarding neocron's future. What are we suppose to think? I understand running an MMO as volunteer work is no easy feat. I also understand that no one here wants to tread on any ones toes and come across as ungrateful for the hard work the support team does. It's great.

However, all this hard work and sacrifice will be for nought if people get bored or frustrated with the game and don't play. It's a horrible prospect. Zoltan, Trivaldi, Bifrost, et al will have worked their arses off to maintain this cyberpunk gem but not enough people will enjoy it.

Neocron has potential but even a small team can't sustain this forever. We all need to come together and sort it.

Community and devs.

Community needs to spread the word more and help create content that creates exposure. Devs also need to create in-game content and also provide transparency in regards to neocrons development. Volunteers should also take on more volunteers if they can and we the community need to muck in as well.

Also Kirk needs to say hi. Just once.

My 2 credits right there.
    I’m going to become rich and famous after I invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

Well my opinion is this:
    They need to develop a free-to-play business model to support actual development. Outfits, companions, apartment customization, etc.
    They should open up the source code to all the faithful players who've stayed here all these years. If they are seriously only on a volunteer basis only for development then they need way more volunteers to offer their support. I'm sure the community has people who would be willing to lend a hand. There's not a lot you can do for mods with an MMO but people can do updated texture packs and host private servers for more interesting mods.
    Just pick the best of the best, re-skin the whole game, and release Neocron 3 on Steam with the new cash shop and viola, you've got yourself a profitable "new" game.

Also, my experience with the tutorial area for the first time was wondering why I was stabbing high tech looking robots with a tiny knife for two damage while they shot me with their scary loud red lasers. The whole thing seemed pretty dumb. Also ALL THE WALKING. Everything was so far apart. And I stabbed some guy who was afraid of those robots and he pulled out his uzi and tore me to shreds. Fun fun. Also the crabby things killed me and I was supposed to find implants as a quest for one guy but nothing ever dropped them and none of the crates had any. Oh well.

http://neocron-game.com/jobs

if someone wants to help. was i heared was that they had some people joining the team but most of them left after a few hours/days cause they didnt think it was that much work and they also have to do some shitty stuff.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast