Lover of all things Charlatans TheonlyoneIknow's Avatar

Default [CLOSED] 2 points, 1.Crazy BW when moving...2.Disconnects

1. Bandwidth issues

I have noticed that when stationary, NC runs fine. However, once I start "moving", even if said movement is just walking around, I experience what can only be described as stuttering.

I hit ALT+F and then realised that when said stuttering occured, the BW indicator went from circa 100 upto and above 2000 in some cases, although usually it was around the 1600 mark. FPS dropped significantly at this point as well, down from 65'ish to sometimes single figures, at best, low doubles.

When trying to run through NC, I often end up either face hugging the wall or stuck in some doors because the game has frozen, whilst I'm "moving" and because I've come to a halt, thanks to an environment intervention, the BW drops back to normal levels and I can continue about my business.

2. Disconnects

Almost always when I zone/use GR's. Doesn't do it EVERY time I zone, but it does do it more often than not.

Anyone else experiencing either of these anomolies?

tooik
    Last edited by TheonlyoneIknow; 10-03-15 at 23:11.

former king of saturn

Have you modified the net.ini by chance?

Not to my knowledge.

How and more so, why, would I alter the .ini?

former king of saturn

There isn't a good reason to modify that file so don't sweat it.

I would put this behavior on your network segment. Play Neocron and run a ping -t against your router... when you experience a lag spike take a look at the ping and see if you are experiencing it within your segment as well.

Something like:
    start->run (or winkey+r) cmd <enter>
    ping -t 192.168.1.1 (the ip will change based upon your network config, though 192.168.1.1 isn't a bad place to begin your search if you don't know for sure)

Just done a run through Regants. I got all less than 1ms, except for 7 instances of no more than =6ms and ONE of 9ms, at which point the game crashed/froze, (wouldn't reload the gun, did the action, but no ammo loaded), so I logged out.

9ms doesn't sound all that drastic to me, but I'm no network expert.

former king of saturn

While that does appear fairly mundane, we need to keep digging to see what that causes on the other side.

The next step (and hell I should have suggested this at the same time) is to run a ping -t against the NC game server. That IP is 85.10.211.24. Run a router ping at the same time and see if there are correlations between the jumps in ping inside and outside.

The lurches in your ping are a bit strange, though you are correct in stating that 9 millis isn't necessarily bad. What paints it as potentially bad is that your network segment really shouldn't be impacted in such a large way (that may only be a few millis, but it's a 900% jump) unless someone is making bulk traffic.

You in a dorm or shared housing by chance? Using wifi (sub question 2.4ghz or 5.0ghz?)?

In writing this response to you, I'm on two teamspeaks and have a handful of net-enabled apps running with their typical load, my local gateway ping has not exceeded 3millis.

Do you find that interacting with citycoms forces a logout as well?

I'm a home owner, on a dedicated, (not using wifi), 60mb connection. There are no other devices connected to this network.

I used to run the client in multicore mode, but having read a few threads due to my recent, (not played NC with any seriousness for probably 6 months), experiences, I have since dumbed it down to a single core on the CPU.

If it helps, this is my current setup, (but I haven't noticed any difference since switching the aforementioned):

Client:
    Driver: GTX670 (D3D9)
    Mode: 1900x1200x32
    Anisotropic filtering: 8, (was previously 2, but has had no impact on game play)
    Generic sound/mixer driver

Options:
    1 - 4 - yes
    Multi core - no
    Selected core - 0

File integrity check - OK!

PC:
    AMD FX4100 4 x 4GHz
    GTX670 2GB OC
    16GB RAM

With client running, the respective pings are as follows:

Network ping - 1ms or thereabouts, (had a 3ms "spike" as I ran through Battle Dome and drew weapon out).
    NC ping - started at 31ms, went to a high of 44ms, with no jumps as the network hit 3ms.

It would appear that Citycoms usage has no effect at this time on logout. Using the exit at Regants, the lift to my appartment and zoning from P1 to P2 all caused a forced logout. Strangely, it seems like it's affecting only one particular char on one particular account. I'm going to log said char now and see how it performs. I'll let you know.

Thanks for the input btw Divide, appreciated.

tooik.

former king of saturn

I think you should return to multi-core mode. The people who likely benefit from going single-core mode are those who have CPUs the likes of the Pentium-D or an equivalent era AMD dual core cpu. That said, 4ghz is more than enough clock to run NC.

Your bandwidth usage being reported by alt+f isn't abnormal by my measure. Makes me wonder if we're chasing a bad lead.

How are you measuring your FPS (alt+f or another utility) ? Do you run vsync? Is your monitor capable of >60hz? Running NC above 60 frames (measured @ 62 in alt+f) will create a stuttering motion, even if you have all of the hardware to truly support >60fps.

Try going to your nvidia control panel and making a profile just for client.exe that forces Vsync=on, keeps AA @ 4x and play a bit to see if the stuttering subsides.

Last question for now - are you running enbseries or sweetfx with the NC client?

Switched back to multicore.
    Using ALT+F to measure FPS*, (see below).
    Created a client.exe profile in nVidia control panel. Made a custom graphics loadout and NC actually looks a fair bit more pleasing to the eye now, which is good.

*But here's the thing. There's no way to cap the FPS to 60 within NCP, (or not an option that I could see, VSync is enabled). Running NC now, on the odd occasion, it will drop to 55 FPS and runs nice for those few seconds, and sometimes goes up to 72 FPS, but for the other 99.5% of running time, it's locked at 62, therefore telling me that the game is actually running way above this, (and why wouldn't it, given the modern hardware I'm using). Seeing as how I have a 60Hz, Dell U2410 monitor, this is probably the issue??

So, when you asked me if I'd modified the .INI, is there a command line I can add to cap the FPS to 60 within said file, or any other editable NC file for that matter?

As for your question regarding SweetFX et al, I'd never even heard of either of those programs until you mentioned them here, so no, I don't .

tooik.

SO I did a google search for limiting FPS and by a roundabout means, I came to a YT video about nVidia Inspector. For w/e reason, I no longer had this installed, but the video showed it has a function to limit FPS either globally or within a certain application.

I now have NC running at 58 FPS, (stops input lag by all accounts, and that would certainly seem to be the case as a "quirk" no longer exists either), and the game is running smoothly...constantly so far. BW is still reported as near to 2000, but like you said earlier Divide, that was obviously not the issue.

What I do find odd though, is that ALT+F is STILL reporting a constant 62 FPS, even with a forced maximum of 58

Oh! well. Hopefully this is the last of it, although I am STILL getting logged out EVERYTIME now that I use a GR, LIFT, or EXIT to/from a dungeon

tooik.

former king of saturn

Alright, so the stuttering is resolved. The 62fps thing is one of those classicaly arch-typed "neocron" things.

The logout when you zone isn't something we should give up on. That may still be network related. You running a full AV suite with a firewall? If you run back/forth over the same zone line does it tend to be more reliable? Is this a new rig or the one you used to play on?

Alright, so the stuttering is resolved. The 62fps thing is one of those classicaly arch-typed "neocron" things.

The logout when you zone isn't something we should give up on. That may still be network related.

1.You running a full AV suite with a firewall?
    Yes, MS Security Essentials, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium Ed.

2. If you run back/forth over the same zone line does it tend to be more reliable?
    Usually, but only tried that since reading your Q here.

3. Is this a new rig or the one you used to play on?
    No, the m/c is 3yrs old now, but I've played NC on since building it back then of course.

Am I the only one that's getting this CONSTANT logging on any kind of zoning? I can't believe I am, yet there appears to be nothing on the forums about it

tooik.

former king of saturn

I haven't heard of any others with something like this. Not sure if you can get anything out of your log folder and zip it up but it would be worth a look for some little clue. This could be a failure to stay synced with the server, or it could also be something like damaged files. Basically, I'm saying it is an unknown, but it seems to be unique to you.

Try backing down that OC and put that chip at stock and see what you get. I have read in the past that multi-core AMD chips can have timing problems between cores due to the chip's architecture. Or, I think I read that anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Divide View Post
    Try backing down that OC and put that chip at stock and see what you get. I have read in the past that multi-core AMD chips can have timing problems between cores due to the chip's architecture. Or, I think I read that anyway...
    Oh! crap, you want me to hit a crap processor with the nerf hammer? It's only a 400MHz OC. I've had it running at 5GHz sometime ago, absolutely rock solid. But hey, it's days may be numbered!!

Last night, I quickly logged into El Farid, on my APU, just to clear the 2nd level first room for a friend, as the queen was there, with an overwhelming number of giants and baby scorpions. In the 10 mins or so I was there, I got d'sync'd 3 times, just standing there barrelling. I didn't see it affect the other player that was there, doing exactly the same as me

I'll let you know how the nerf hammer goes.

tooik.

former king of saturn

Hurry up and nerf that thing so we can try something else!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast