Default So now that Black Prophecy is dead..

Reakktor guys decided to bring back Neocron. I think making BP was a bad choice. The team was just trying to cash in on EvE craze, and failed hard. I wish instead, they wouldve improved Neocron or made a new one from scratch. Space Sims are not as popular as regular character-based MMOS, CCP got lucky with EvE and it doesnt mean that everyone should just jump on the same bandwagon.
    I was in NC during beta and loved it. Didnt really get into full release since i was playing some other games. But I dont see why the team needs to bring back NC in its old form. I dont understand why there are so many small companies struggling to make their own independent MMO which eventually fail... Why not join teams together with other devs just like you who work on similar projects? A good example is Face of Mankind. Its pretty much same as Neocron, and it also was closed and reopened multiple times. Why not join forces together and build a new CyberPunk MMO on a new engine with all the old features from their older games that everyone loved? But instead these small teams keep on struggling with their old projects that will never be much anymore....

Does the president of KK still drive the Porsche he bought with NC investment money? "D
    Last edited by Mako111; 10-06-14 at 07:19.

Order of the Black Flame yavimaya's Avatar

not KK anymore, just a dedicated team of volunteers running this show.

Quote Originally Posted by yavimaya View Post
    not KK anymore, just a dedicated team of volunteers running this show.
    So these guys arent even affiliated with Black Prophecy dev team?

No, and welcome back

Check out this page for infomation on our team:
    http://www.neocron-game.com/about-us
    Baldur
    Management - Content Development
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»Ut sementem feceris, ita metes«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRONPLAY NEOCRONFACEBOOKTWITTERGET SUPPORTFORUM RULESRULES OF CONDUCT

Quote Originally Posted by Mako111 View Post
    I dont understand why there are so many small companies struggling to make their own independent MMO which eventually fail... Why not join teams together with other devs just like you who work on similar projects? A good example is Face of Mankind. Its pretty much same as Neocron, and it also was closed and reopened multiple times. Why not join forces together and build a new CyberPunk MMO on a new engine with all the old features from their older games that everyone loved?
    You gotta love the irony in that statement.
    FOMK was created as a NC clone by people unhappy with KK and how they had implemented or had not implemented aspects of the game, instead of supporting NC in spite of the frustrations it meant (seeing how slow, stubborn and deaf to community input KK as a company was at times). I am sure some of the people would have reconsidered once seeing what it means to actually build and successfully run a MMO of that kind. Imho FOMK never got off the ground. If NC was famous for being a player funded continuous beta, FOMK never really left the alpha state.

That said, creating a new MMO with "all the old features from games that everyone loved" is never going to happen - because devs, just like players, are opinionated. What's your pet feature might be someone elses "no go".

Does the president of KK still drive the Porsche he bought with NC investment money?
    MJS built the Reakktor Studio, helped push NC out the door and imho earned himself that Porsche. Neocron was a financial success - it kept a good number of people fed and the revenue surpassed the development budget by large. He sold the company and when the new mother corp went to shit, it dragged KK down with it. Iirc BP was originally planned as a SP game and only during development transformed into a MMO. It's failure as a F2P MMO ment the liquidation of KK.
    Since then, MJS has apparently retaken control over the Reakktor brand and appears to be working on a new game with a new studio, using the old name - but thats really all there is to it. The Reakktor that created Neocron is long dead.

Afaik it is 100% community members and former voluntary gamemasters that keep NC afloat these days. With the minor exception of the major Nidhogg, who was a Reakktor staffer back at the time (but thats a story of times long gone)
    PHP Code:
    "Computer voice: Fatal system error in unit 13, gamma sector, cryo recreation phase has been interrupted.";

//answers
    set 4        "Ok, see you later";
    set 5        "You're boring me, piss off"

No - the IP and assets for Black Prophecy was sold to Gamigo - who got another software house to start on a spin-off called Black Prophecy Tactics using the Unity engine.

However that looks like it never made it out of closed beta as the last thing heard about that game was in late 2012.

English Lead Moderator, Community Consultant Nidhogg's Avatar

As I understand it, J was independently wealthy prior to Neocron. He can't and shouldn't be accused of any impropriety.

As for Black Prophecy... have you seen what David Braben's team is doing with Elite: Dangerous? Wow.
    Nidhogg
    Forum Administration
    Neocron Support Team

»Thanks for stopping by«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRONPLAY NEOCRONFACEBOOKTWITTERIRCGET SUPPORTFORUM RULESRULES OF CONDUCT

Quote Originally Posted by aKe`cj View Post

Afaik it is 100% community members and former voluntary gamemasters that keep NC afloat these days. With the minor exception of the major Nidhogg, who was a Reakktor staffer back at the time (but thats a story of times long gone)
    Hey thanks for the thorough info aKe, really appreciate it.

I wasnt pointing out FOMK specifically, just stating an opinion that a lot of good indie MMOS have died or never were realized to full potential. I havent enjoyed a good MMO in a very long time. NC was my first introduction to the genre, thats why it stuck to me as best ever MMORPG, but i believe that it also contained such rich content that it surpassed all other MMOs at the time. ( I believe Everquest and DAOC were the competitors at that time). I really wish that instead of being stubborn or just ignorant these devs would join together and maybe share less revenue than they hoped for, but at least they would be able to get their games with full force instead closing them down a month later. FOMK was essentially being deved by one guy, and he did a good job for one dev. WHat he couldve done if he wouldve just joined another team, is another story. BTW FOMK has been restarted again, i got a newsletter recently.

Anyway, im not planning to get back into NC. If i get into an MMO, i only play them to the maximum and trade or sell accounts when I get burnt out as a reward for the time invested, which is how it should be for all MMOs since they are (accounts) in reality your own property. NC has long outlived itself and its not like ive been part of any community that would make me want to relive those days, since I only played a month of beta. But i remember getting random passer-bys to help me kill a StormBot that guarded the exit to the Outlands. I think i was the first one to do it in beta, after a couple of hours of hard work and hiding inside the crates, we killed it and all it dropped was a Raygun that no one could use. But the experience of freedom, killing an NPC, was beyond I ever experienced before, it was such a blast. Although I probably would play same old NC but in a completely new engine. But I wish you guys good luck and plenty of fun times, I know you loved this game, which probably too, was all of yours' first MMO. I Just came here to reminisce about the best time i had playing an online game.
    Last edited by Mako111; 10-06-14 at 19:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Nidhogg View Post
    As I understand it, J was independently wealthy prior to Neocron. He can't and shouldn't be accused of any impropriety.

As for Black Prophecy... have you seen what David Braben's team is doing with Elite: Dangerous? Wow.
    Ah, Elite Dangerous, so they were deving BP too? ED looks interesting but it seems a bit small, i mean in the sense of the world it self. But I have invested into Star Citizen. SC is surely going to drop onto MMO scene with a loud bang. Reteriating my previous point of "joining teams": Even though same players who invested into Star Citizen have also invested into Elite Dangerous, but i doubt ED can compete with SC, although it may for a while since it will be released much sooner, but it will die out as soon as SC is out. ED has some very awesome features, that SC doesnt have, such as homebase docks, they look gorgeous, or being able to fly through the base and out, that is not available in SC. ED also has much better sound packs than current SC ones. But all in all its just too small of a project, and i wish that instead they would ve joined teams with C Roberts with his SC project. By the time SC is out , besides being a space sim, it will also feature an elaborate planet-side gameplay.
    Last edited by Mako111; 10-06-14 at 19:31.

English Lead Moderator, Community Consultant Nidhogg's Avatar

ED and SC are different games and I think there's room in the market for both. Considering ED will have the entire galaxy modelled when it goes live I'd hardly call it small, though.

P.S. I didn't want to imply the BP dev team is in any way related to the ED dev team.
    Nidhogg
    Forum Administration
    Neocron Support Team

»Thanks for stopping by«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRONPLAY NEOCRONFACEBOOKTWITTERIRCGET SUPPORTFORUM RULESRULES OF CONDUCT

Quote Originally Posted by Nidhogg View Post
    ED and SC are different games and I think there's room in the market for both. Considering ED will have the entire galaxy modelled when it goes live I'd hardly call it small, though.

P.S. I didn't want to imply the BP dev team is in any way related to the ED dev team.
    Heh dont want to rain on your parade, you probably backed it, but ED is probably only a quarter of what SC is going to be. Not that it doesnt have its own nice features, but it's just not as big of a project.

Forget about ED and SC! No Man's Sky is the hot shit!
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

The REAL Walker

Heh dont want to rain on your parade, you probably backed it, but ED is probably only a quarter of what SC is going to be. Not that it doesnt have its own nice features, but it's just not as big of a project.
    Im honestly affraid that SC is going to be the biggest letdown since Duke Nukem.
    Its waay too hyped..
    Walker
    John Gotti
    Sammy the Bull
    Danish Rage
    Innocent Bystander
    Walking Waste
    Sweet Judgement
    Sweet Vengeance

Elite Dangerous will be outstanding 12 months from now, and Star Citizen will be in its first and buggiest form of beta. Mark my words. No, this recently released dog-fighting module doesn't count.

David Braben is a true professional. He'll make the game he wants to make.

I fear RSI (Roberts, specifically) has over promised in terms of Star Citizen's features.

I have also played both for several hours each. I paid the £100 for ED premium beta and I'm an alpha backer of SC from the original kickstarter.

Order of the Black Flame yavimaya's Avatar

certainly dont like the fact the SC is going to be instanced crap, wont even bother trying because of that.
    ED looks promising though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast