Thread: Runspeed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Biglines View Post
    he doesn't have his weapon out, which is why he can outrun you. that's supposed to be the way tanks can heal up, as spies and pe's have stealth to get away.

the relative speed is good tbh, a non-weapon wielding, completely low tech tank should ALWAYS be able to outrun a hightech tank with his weapon out, else what would be the point of a low-tech tank?

as to the total speed (urs and his), I wouldn't mind if it slowed down a bit, but if clipping is fixed, and a server move can deal with people moving around again, the speed will drop down anyway with people speccing resists in lieu of clipping.

I know I sound very conservative, but I really believe balancing should be done intelligently and in increments, not change every single thing in one go, as noone can predict how a change like not being able to clip will affect gameplay when people get used to it. It's possible that speed needs to go down too, but please let's wait till we see what effect not being able to clip has, because I personally think not clipping will already make playing a tank incredibly hard, removing the speed as well might make him unplayable in opfights (tanks drop so incredibly fast if they can't clip.. and more than one person is focussing)
    This is not about that this guy "outruns" me. It simply doesn't matter. The thing is that the whole pursuit could haven even worked with lower speed on both sides.
    And I think the fun would have been higher.

This game is too fast. The server have their problems with it and the players have their problems with it. Why don't we adjust it ?

Quote Originally Posted by aKe`cj View Post
    The video shows clipping for which runspeed is not the immediate cause, but a very important factor.
    As far as I understand the fix, it does not solve the underlaying problem of positon errors - it will just become harder to abuse them on purpose as the char remains visible at all times.

Clipping occurs when the the movement approximation inbetween 2 position updates and map geometry get into an unhealthy argument. The amount of clipping is thus directly related to the distance traveled between position updates .. and distance in relation to time is ... voila ... runspeed. So I would agree that the video does fit the thread title nicely, as it illustrates the current rate of clipping errors in certain terrain
    not really, as apparently all these have been fixed in the patch without touching runspeed?
    ingame names: Biglines (dissy spy), Mr Tool (low tech tank), Engineer Tool (constructor), Medical Tool (ppu/hacker/poker), Father Tool (apu)

Quote Originally Posted by Biglines View Post
    not really, as apparently all these have been fixed in the patch without touching runspeed?
    Quote Originally Posted by aKe`cj
    it does not solve the underlaying problem of positon errors - it will just become harder to abuse them on purpose as the char remains visible at all times.
    sorry for repeating myself here.
    Try it yourself please.
    PHP Code:
    "Computer voice: Fatal system error in unit 13, gamma sector, cryo recreation phase has been interrupted.";

//answers
    set 4        "Ok, see you later";
    set 5        "You're boring me, piss off"

Quote Originally Posted by nabbl View Post
    This is not about that this guy "outruns" me. It simply doesn't matter. The thing is that the whole pursuit could haven even worked with lower speed on both sides.
    And I think the fun would have been higher.

This game is too fast. The server have their problems with it and the players have their problems with it. Why don't we adjust it ?
    you say that it is not nescesary to have all this speed, and I think I disagree, I think when speed becomes healthy dodging again instead of using it to clip, it will become a choice. Currently resists are almost completely useless, as speed means clipping, and while clipping, resists are useless.

when clipping is removed from the equation, resist setups become a viable option again, but a speed setup becomes skill based again. When I'm on my apu, I always get complimented because I am very hard to hit in duels (not in opwars regretfully...), because I am used to Global agenda, natural selection and other games, where moving in a proper way to break fire, instead of just resists etc, or the simple running in a circle that most people use (watch the fight night video again, the movement of the majority is very predictable).

I just think that when we make other options viable again, a lot of people will choose to forgo speed and turn to resists, and in that case I still would like to see speed as an option, otherwise we're just forcing people into other cookie cutter setups. They might be different from now, but they will still be cookie cutter.

So what I would like to see is that speed becomes something that requires skill to use effectively, but has several tradeoffs such as lower damage, not being able to use high tech, low resists, etc etc. I want speed to be an option, but no longer the requirement that it is now. Because currently, speed means clipping, which means being able to survive in opwars. When clipping is taken out, speed is no longer a default option, but something that will require great skill still to rely on, but will make the game experience much richer for it, by making resist setups, damage setups etc also viable alternatives.

so I would really like to wait until we've seen a sufficient amount of opwars on a clipping free server, before starting on other mechanics. If it turns out we need to change the speed, I'm all for it, but I really hope the development team will wait with that until after a few weeks/months of anti-clipping play.
    ingame names: Biglines (dissy spy), Mr Tool (low tech tank), Engineer Tool (constructor), Medical Tool (ppu/hacker/poker), Father Tool (apu)

Quote Originally Posted by aKe`cj View Post
    sorry for repeating myself here.
    if clipping is not the problem, what is the problem?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12