Default Question on APU spells

I'm levelling an Psi Monk with Active Psi Use and like most other chars it takes ages doiing so.

I've noticed some differences in spell effeciency and would like to ask experienced APUs for Info.

Bolt / Ball / Lance: Afaik these are all single target attacks, with the lance offer greater damage and range at lower rate of fire. Is that correct? Are there any big differences between Bolt and Ball?

Ball Blast: These are Balls with some Area of Effect Damage, right?

Halo / Beam: From my experience, these are stronger attack versions but greatly decrease in damage by range. For best effects i should be in hugging range, correct? Anything else where these two differ?

Barrel / Multi Bolt: These are for area effect. In my experience they differ by Barrel absolutely suck with low damage and big chance to rather damage yourself, while Multi Bolt works good and also on range. For targetting I found it usefull to aim for ground or objects and not NPCs directly. Somethign that I'm missing here?

Energy / Lightning / Fire / Poison: These are the general damage types. Using them in PVE against NPCs, does it make any difference which type i use or do all work equal? How about the Ice Spells that are also availble?

PVE Leveling in General: I've went from Plaza I Aggi Cellar on to Milbase or Storage Lvl 8 for hunting Cyclops / Butchee. Multi Energy Bolt turned out to be my best friend and most effective, Barrel totally sucked for low damage low range and oftenly igniting directly under my own feet. You got any tips on where to Level nicely?

Thanks in advance

I used multi nrg bolt and then moved onto halos and barrels. After halos I went to beams and then more barrels in caves. Basically I beamed/haloed everything to gather them together and then barrelled the shit out of a big load of mobs together.

I hate to say it but reagants boss room is pretty good for it.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

p.s mb bunker is good for levelling on butchees and launchers. You can barrel from inside the bunker pretty well.

Also on the igniting your feet comment..... use first person ALWAYS for barrels. 3rd for beams etc.

you can use your halo to lure in the mobs and then barrel with the fire/nrg etc

I never noticed any difference between the barrels for damage or duration, just the effects obviously change dependant on mob resistance. firemobs seem to have better resistance to fire et al. I seem to remember this happening many years ago in a patch but its been so long since I levelled any chars that i honestly forget.

I hope this helps a little.

When i get back to england ill come play some more nc anyway. I have an apu so we can go smashing people if you like.

That would be nice. My Apu is approx Lvl 28, so best I can use atm is Fire Barrel. However, when i use Barrels at Mil Bunker they do only about 20 points of damage on Cyclops for like 3 times. Then they're out of range, or Barrel burns everywhere except the mobs. With Multi Bolt, I get around 79 damage by one shot on several mobs.

I don't go to caves, for i get roasted there within seconds. Same about Regants, these Alien creepers make short process

With regards to aiming, I always use first person (since NC is a FPS)^^

I'll try lure them now with Halo and then use Multi Bolt, till I catch you around.

Thanks

Problem resolved - Barrels simply suck in direct comparision with multibolts, but some peeps like quickspamming it seems.

I finally decided for Multibolts and achieved great results by now

barrels are pretty shit early on. you need to get to holy barrels to make em worth using. Multi Energy bolt is good at your level yes.

I was meaning barrels at level 45-50 plus.

One person showed me the holy barrels (thanks for that) which made decent damage. However, holy multi bolts will pretty much play in the same league.

Ok. Honestly wouldnt be able to comment in today's NC, its been a very long time since I levelled a toon.

I was playing in the wastelands with some pals this morning, and there multibolts oftenly failed. I could understand why people like Barrels then.

However, inside buildings and cities, multi bolts still rule

I liked beams and halos the most but most of my levelling on my apu was done with a ppu at my side. Also I levelled in a time when cave teams were still somewhat viable and people used to level there quite a lot. We would regularly get 10+ players, and the usual melee tank who wasnt teamed in a cave most nights.

This game could be awesome again with 300+ populations and no bugs. God damn you Neocron....

I leveled my apu normally about 2 years ago (normal mobs until I could solo regants bossroom, 90% without ppu). I just constructed every single spell and had a belt full of em, testing them out as I went. The barrels only really started being useful in regants/caves, though the chains and multi's were useful on other areas.

You can do regants bossroom solo from about 70-80 base psi, if you leveled normally you should have enough con to use the tl 40 healtool.
    ingame names: Biglines (dissy spy), Mr Tool (low tech tank), Engineer Tool (constructor), Medical Tool (ppu/hacker/poker), Father Tool (apu)

I'm using the normal Healtool now and wear first battle armor equipment for Force/Piercing protection against launchers. My combat rank is around 50 somewhat, but normal level is 41.

I'm stuck with Dex 24 now and it just won't and won't climb any higher. You got any usefull hints un leveling Dex with Psi Monk? I tried repairing my Chaincraft vehicle but it's about impossible to get any damage to it

I can do El Farid, the small and standard Scorpions are fine. But large ones are too much. Tried Regants once, but got mauled by these Genotixic walkers and facehuggers

Quote Originally Posted by Kamuix99
    I'm using the normal Healtool now and wear first battle armor equipment for Force/Piercing protection against launchers. My combat rank is around 50 somewhat, but normal level is 41.

I'm stuck with Dex 24 now and it just won't and won't climb any higher. You got any usefull hints un leveling Dex with Psi Monk? I tried repairing my Chaincraft vehicle but it's about impossible to get any damage to it

I can do El Farid, the small and standard Scorpions are fine. But large ones are too much. Tried Regants once, but got mauled by these Genotixic walkers and facehuggers
    Research missions

Bulk order of tl150 missions is the quickest way (if you can hire/use a researcher to make the cubes). Failing that then any other kind of missions at all is good. Recycle even if youre desperate (although this is fucking slow).