looks good to me

Nice project to hone your modeling skills guys, it's just great to see someone put effort in what they're doing..

I have to rant a bit though.. I'm slightly annoyed looking at the same clunky uber-uber lowpoly simplified stuff in source than i saw so many years ago in NC. I would have so many ideas in my head to redesign and polish this amazing game world that there's no end to it. I get frustrated seeing lowpoly clunky things from pentium 3 digital stoneage days being directly copied to a relatively new engine, rather than running an artist first redesigning them on par to current game art before actually modeling them (and no it's not that big of a deal to upgrade them compared to time it takes to model them, taking there is a concept artist). Seeing old art copied accurately just feels awful and just slightly annoying.

Otherwise this looks like great modeling practise. I hope it proves to be worth the effort!

http://www.primalbrush.com/loc/vendorwipcombo_rev.jpg
    Nixon / Slick Mink / Kitsune

Critical critique is great, but saying that looking at his model makes you feel awful and annoyed is not constructive. The gratuitous use of negative adjectives somewhat lessons what is, actually, a good observation of Biglines model.

Clearly, the image you have shown shows you understand something about artistic construction. If you provide more useful ideas and constructive comments, like the image you attached, we will be able to provide higher quality work.

Feel free to work with an artist by providing additional concept art, as I'm sure Biglines will find you attached image to be extremely useful.
    Last edited by Rambus; 05-02-10 at 02:30.
    [Nidhogg[Mod|IFW]] I'll pretend I didn't see the file 'Neocrackv3.exe' ; )

hehe tnx rambus

but really nixon, calling that model low poly is pretty strange, as it is already more than double to poly count of a normal source model. Second, normally muscle tone is done in the normal map, together with wrinkles and stuff. I'd really be interested in seeing any model thats higher poly than this in a source game

second i'd appreciate you reading before you comment, the model on the left was the first go at it, there were more than 3 iterations between the left and right

thirdly, if a dude that stands around plaza 1 all day, were to be that muscled, that would look very strange to me. Also, I've never seen any muscle tone through a stiff jacket in real life, and I've seen quite a few bouncers in jackets.

as for copying old art, it's kinda the point of the mod, we're not trying to make a new update to make neocron 3, we're trying to make a source mod out of the good old neocron. None of us as gameartists, and at least I have no intention of becoming one. I do this project because I wanna update my modeling skills. Now I'd love to work on a new game, but that would require concept artists, which we dont have, we dont even have experienced texture artists. So we decided to stick to the old art style, which would be a realistic goal for us. and well, so far people have actually been enthusiastic.

I've looked at your website, and you do great concept art, but that paintover muscle on a vendor just looks plain ridiculous. Now if you had drawn creases and stuff that would normally be there, but would always be on the normal map, then I would have agreed with you, but that is part of the normal map, not the model, I'm pushing poly limits for a stupid environmental prop as it is
    Last edited by Biglines; 05-02-10 at 09:58.
    ingame names: Biglines (dissy spy), Mr Tool (low tech tank), Engineer Tool (constructor), Medical Tool (ppu/hacker/poker), Father Tool (apu)

I do this project because I wanna update my modeling skills. Now I'd love to work on a new game, but that would require concept artists, which we dont have, we dont even have experienced texture artists. So we decided to stick to the old art style
    That is what i thought and sounds great. My previous post came out pretty rough, sorry about that. I was probably just trying to say that i've seen so many mods that do a direct copy of something that already exist rather than adding some spice, adding something new in it.

The thing i was trying to illustrate was the model's upper torso, chest to shoulder line which has some issues. I was not saying you should add muscles and make him a bodybuilder but how the muscles connect under the jacket. You could try adding some shapes to the very round upper torso.

http://www.theboomshelter.com/art/torso/
    Nixon / Slick Mink / Kitsune

I have a paper deadline the 15th, and the start of a new uni project, so I will not be focussing on modeling this week, after the 15th I will try to finish this vendor model.

On a related note, one of my friends is starting to learn blender as well, and will be contributing simple objects he will be creating as he learns to use blender

in order to keep everyone updated, models currently in my pipeline are:
    • Vendor Model + animations
    • PE Model + hopefully player model replacement with this model
    • Dissy/Healing light model + animations (I did this model in solidworks, but will have to redo it in blender in order to use in source)
    ingame names: Biglines (dissy spy), Mr Tool (low tech tank), Engineer Tool (constructor), Medical Tool (ppu/hacker/poker), Father Tool (apu)

Just so no one else jumps in...

I'm currently building some simple props in 3d coat

- Door access
    - Rare parts
    - Drugs

I'm doing simple things first to ensure that the pipeline is working. (and less concerned with the utility of the items I'm working on).

door access being the blueish apartment elevator thingy?

Door access probably being the thing you activate outside your apartment door to open it. I'd like to see someone make the street signs you see littered about the city.

It comes in two colour varieties, yellow and blue.

I should also be able to take on the little street sign.

Awesome! If you could please make it so I can make a brush in Hammer that fits inside the model or just in front of it, I can make scrolling street names as materials and we can actually have the street names on the signs, rather than a "hover over" title.

Uploading the v1.0 of the citycom skin now. It is grey, with self illuminated screens. I centered the main monitor skin and changed it from MB green to grey. Still needs a new keyboard texture.

Screenshots

rambus, I just tried to play the nc_subway map on the svn, but it crashes my hl2:dm when I try to play it

A community member has been so kind as to make a hl2M dedicated server available to us, so it would be cool to be able to test them
    Last edited by Biglines; 21-02-10 at 01:41.

I've also gotten in contact with someone who has been making a lot of maps in source (garry's mod), he made p1, p2, outzone subway station, a start of viarosso and A08, hopefully he'll want to contribute, or we could exchange artwork if he doesn't

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast