Quote Originally Posted by L0KI
    Myself and 5 RL mates are about to begin the creation of an MMO. We're looking into the various engines available, and have a few thousand £ to throw at it.

Between us, we cover game development, C/C++, Java, extensive server knowledge, 3D modelling and already have a hugely epic story about a dystopian world.

It won't be Neocron, but there are several elements which have been inspired by Neocron, such as the combat system we plan to implement.

No doubt it will take a year or two before we even get an ALPHA out, but I'm willing to make a bet here and now, that we beat NC3 to release

Room for a 6th mate to be play tester?

(or story editor - can send you a sample of work)
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

The Steam Group Chat could be pretty good for coordinating and such.

Is this gonna get organized at some point?

Seems like no one is taking lead and interest seems to be fading -.-

Quote Originally Posted by r2d22k
    Seems like no one is taking lead and interest seems to be fading -.-
    Have I missed something, I thought Biglines was leading this project?

Quote Originally Posted by Brammers
    Have I missed something, I thought Biglines was leading this project?
    I have been active in a sort of leading role on account of noone else doing it, but I've always said I don't have the time nor the skillset to run this project for real. I'm really only a modeler, and I have tried to get it going with some external relations (amongst others with you ), but I've always said that it would be better if we got someone who actually has management/people/programming skills
    ingame names: Biglines (dissy spy), Mr Tool (low tech tank), Engineer Tool (constructor), Medical Tool (ppu/hacker/poker), Father Tool (apu)

That is quite a dilemma =/

Ok then i think we should do something about that situation! First of all: who is still interested in helping with this project and what can he/she do?

I'd like to help with the programming if it's needed. I have pretty in-depth knowledge of the original Unreal Engine and have started learning the UE3.

I'm also pretty good at helping manage things. Not like a main manager or anything, just helping.

ok, couple of questions as i've been away for a while:

what engine are we using? I only just got hammer working again and i notice they've removed all support for HL2DM mapping?

I can still map in Hammer, but I cannot play the map through (I can compile them, which is great, but not test for bugs), as such I am working on empty terrain zones, fogging the edges and ambience, as well as trying to figure out how zone changes work (but without the thing loading a game i'll never know if this works either).

I do not own TF2 so I can only create the maps in BSP or VMF (whichever is default to hammer mod creator).

If I can get my quad core computer which is broken to work again, we will have a compile server, but will require somewhere for people to upload their maps so they can be dragged out and compiled/run.

I have a space online where we could uploads items, however, I do not know what space limitations we have at the moment, I will let you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell-demon
    A group of nerds feel oppressed and want a place to build their Star Trek model kits. They go into the wastelands and build Tech Haven. Geeks.
    To this day the Twilight Guardian still haven't fucking grown up.
    Population is low in Neocron (nothing new there).

we tried to put in a transfer to UDK, but I have no idea if r2d2k ever got anything working in that.

The other stuff so far has been modeling in blender, and exporting those to Source engine, the maps were being made for hl2dm, but we were planning on making the mod on the tf2 engine version back then.

regretfully from the 3-4 mappers we had, only 1 map was ever released, the subway map, which ran on a public hl2:dm server for a while, which also included a whole bunch of my models.

My models should be able to migrate to pretty much any engine that supports open source model importing, or is included in a blender exporter (or if anyone has a license for a paid-commercial modelling program to pretty much everything else).

The only map ever finished isn't very large, so could have been ported over to any engine pretty easily too I guess.

All my models can be used, but until some other people get active, I'm not going to invest any more time (sorry), also because I don't play the game anymore till an anti-cheat patch comes out.

if the svn is still up (the information can be found at the beginning of this thread) you can download the models I finished for valve:source (gogo, genrep, citycom, signs, plants, chairs, vendor-desks and some weapons), I'm not going to share the original blender files unless the mod/udk game gets going again, mostly because they're a mess anyway (old blender version, and you need to know exactly how to export those old models).
    ingame names: Biglines (dissy spy), Mr Tool (low tech tank), Engineer Tool (constructor), Medical Tool (ppu/hacker/poker), Father Tool (apu)

I downloaded the subway map.. very nice (it didn't all load because i don't have some of the models, but no matter. I also can't get them to work).

I started making up some models of various things that we find a lot of in the world... so I started basic.. watch/hunting tower from the wastes.. and the most popular of all KK's toys.... fences!

I am having problems putting a ladder in though, I have never figured out how to make them, so if anyone can tell me in depth (preferably with pics of how to do it please) as online just says "do this, do that2 and it never works since the latest update.

So, see attached pic, the fence texture needs a little work. it was designed as a single-piece thing, but I decided to try stretching it to see if it was still viable.

I decided to create these things in Hammer as I only know how to work with Hammer. it also allows me to keep an eye on the poly count and guestimate compile times (my old TH sec 1 map was almost 50k polys and took almost 3 hours to compile, and that was just structure.. shame I lost it when old computer died).

Oh, and on a positive note, I decided to give in and reinstall HL2.. I played through it in a day (no cheats either) and since it's there I can now launch the mod I created as a working station for this project and play the maps in the game, as well as launch Hammer without it whining about no wireframe texture.

While I thik about it.. whatever happened to the Plaza 1 map? I'm looking at starting zone-transfer markers, and since you've made Plaza 1 and plaza subway station, might be nice to try and run the 2 together.
    Last edited by Trilaac; 06-04-11 at 23:44.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell-demon
    A group of nerds feel oppressed and want a place to build their Star Trek model kits. They go into the wastelands and build Tech Haven. Geeks.
    To this day the Twilight Guardian still haven't fucking grown up.
    Population is low in Neocron (nothing new there).

hmm, one thing to remember is that models and brushes are two different types of things. making things in hammer is not a model, it's a map, and as such not the best idea (because of materials, physics, LOD, light optimization etc).

also, you're working in source, I'm not sure anyone else is working with that anymore, as we kind of switched to UDK a few months ago.

there should be a bsp with the models included somewhere if you want to run the subway map on hl2:dm

[quote]I downloaded the subway map.. very nice (it didn't all load because i don't have some of the models, but no matter. I also can't get them to work).[/qoute]

Some one recompiled the BSP with the models and textures inbedded in the file so you should be able to run around in the world

I believe the source file is on the SVN- I have a newer version with some of plaza3 added in. If any progress is getting made again I will happily upload this.
    [Nidhogg[Mod|IFW]] I'll pretend I didn't see the file 'Neocrackv3.exe' ; )

I must say this is impressive.... Good luck to you all!