Quote Originally Posted by Necpock
    Sorry mate, was a question, just wondered. Didn't want to cause an upset. Didn't really bother reading from the start.
    sorry, I get annoyed about these sorts of questions, because people generally don't know anything about actual intellectual property laws (which was kind of shown by saying "copy laws" (copy right, is not copying of something, but the laws concerning copy (printed text))
    ingame names: Biglines (dissy spy), Mr Tool (low tech tank), Engineer Tool (constructor), Medical Tool (ppu/hacker/poker), Father Tool (apu)

Quote Originally Posted by Biglines
    sorry, I get annoyed about these sorts of questions, because people generally don't know anything about actual intellectual property laws (which was kind of shown by saying "copy laws" (copy right, is not copying of something, but the laws concerning copy (printed text))
    But that's why someone would need to ask a question surely? Because they "generally don't know anything about actual intellectual property laws".

Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right. - Basil Fawlty

Perhaps we should create a FAQ thread which will answer this question and others which have been asked several times in the past.

And as for the IP/Copy-laws/rights stuff, if KK has any concerns i think they know that they can always contact us and then we will work out a solution together.

Quote Originally Posted by r2d22k
    Perhaps we should create a FAQ thread which will answer this question and others which have been asked several times in the past.

And as for the IP/Copy-laws/rights stuff, if KK has any concerns i think they know that they can always contact us and then we will work out a solution together.
    we contacted them quite some time ago actually.

and ye, a faq would be good, I was gonna make a new topic with the current info, but was holding off till we had a new name, or at least a working name
    ingame names: Biglines (dissy spy), Mr Tool (low tech tank), Engineer Tool (constructor), Medical Tool (ppu/hacker/poker), Father Tool (apu)

Neocron Reloaded, Neocron Reborn, Neocron HD, Neocorn?

kinda like nc reborn as a working title, kinda gives measning to the project

Neopr0n, where everyone is naked. No? Just a thought.

Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right. - Basil Fawlty

Order of the Black Flame yavimaya's Avatar

Why not name it after the games nickname.... and simply call it NeoCrack.

while I like neocrack as a name as such, it kind of looks weird for the people that want to put this stuff in their portfolio

Neocron V The Dome Strikes Back

Nova Temporis or Neue Zeit

Account not active yet Jason Parker's Avatar

Wow finally got through this whole thread. I totaly missed that anyone was actualy doing something like this. Just started a call in german part to find people for starting an own project since I have more freetime in the future.

But now that I found this: Are you still in need for a programmer? All I can offer is knowledge of C++, never done anything with Source or UDK but I know how to read and write object oriented code (it's anyways all more or less the same, concept wise, only difference is syntax mostly) and would be very willing to read myself into UDK. Do you guys have a forum of your own where you discuss things? And does the Steam Group still exist?

Edit: As for a new project name. How about "Neofrag 3"? As ingame we have Neofrag and Neofrag 2 and what this project is aiming to do is build basicaly a third iteration of Neofrag.
    Last edited by Jason Parker; 22-01-11 at 06:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Parker
    Wow finally got through this whole thread. I totaly missed that anyone was actualy doing something like this. Just started a call in german part to find people for starting an own project since I have more freetime in the future.

But now that I found this: Are you still in need for a programmer? All I can offer is knowledge of C++, never done anything with Source or UDK but I know how to read and write object oriented code (it's anyways all more or less the same, concept wise, only difference is syntax mostly) and would be very willing to read myself into UDK. Do you guys have a forum of your own where you discuss things? And does the Steam Group still exist?

Edit: As for a new project name. How about "Neofrag 3"? As ingame we have Neofrag and Neofrag 2 and what this project is aiming to do is build basicaly a third iteration of Neofrag.
    I think r2d22k would welcome having another programmer, but to make things go smooth I'd discuss that with him, and one of you has to take lead.

I'll be working on modelling and animating, as well as doing the hud/interface. We don't have a forum, but the tech haven wiki has a section for nc source which we used quite intensively to discuss the game. (good thing about a wiki is that discussions can be done in the talk pages, while decisions and examples can be clearly presented in the main page)

First of all: sorry for not being around much lately, it's exam time as some of you might know. My last exam for this semestre is on friday, so after that i can focus again on NC:Source or whatever we will call it in the future

Another programmer? Would be great, then we could speed things up. If someone is interested in helping with all that programming stuff then just drop me a line via PM. Then i can coordinate the work.

Default Hmm.

Hey Guys.

I'm a huge neocron fan, (beta 3 was the best though) and I dabbled with creating something similar (Basically everything I liked, nothing I didnt like) on the Source engine.

Here are some REALLY old videos :

Hacking in world view (instead of fullscreen, that annoyed me in NC)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFR5D...eature=related

Shop terminals in world view
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcAwL5ocId4

And here are some slightly newer videos :

Early pvp only dm mode :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O15VJ...eature=related

These videos actually shows hunting and stuff( slow speed on revver sorry ):

http://www.revver.com/video/286874/h...t-compilation/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O15VJ...eature=related

Day night cycle :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzygBMHoHMM

Panels that actually show real-world data pulled from websites :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDHfD...eature=related

I ended up getting a few coding contracts with this in my portfolio and just didn't have the time to finish it, but I do love seeing people attempt something similar so I thought I'd post and give some of my thoughts :

1. It really doesn't matter what engine you choose, it's better to stick to one engine and actually ship something than switch it up. Switching engines provides a short term breath of fresh air for teams who are stuck, but in the long run slows you down. Regarding the source engine, I'd say it's not feasable if it would go beyond a small community of a few hundred players tops. When I programmed Hostile Planet, I had it fully working saving all the player data, zoning between servers etc. But just the raw processing power required by a traditional first person shooter engine is immense, so heavy combat on lots of servers will really slow down fast. I suspect unreal engine 3 to have similar issues with it's netcode. You're also severely limited in what you can do as you don't (and likely won't) have all the source code access you need, but I could be wrong.

2. You need one or more _talented_ programmers willing to devote their time to this project long term. Most Mods see the light of day because a programmer was the founder and the reason they pour in so much time is because it's their idea and their dream, It's hard to recruit someone who has that drive and can stick with it and not flake out.

3. Art doesn't matter, at all. Unless you're doing a reskin of an engine, you should really consider making sure the coding is moving along at a good rate before devoting any time to the art side of things. Everything I did in hostile planet was with standard hl2 art, minus the GUI and a few weapon models my friend did. I wanted to get it to a playable state before I swapped out the art. Visuals will get you hype, but they wont get you a playable game. You should focus on recruiting programmers who work together if you want this thing to see the light of day.

If you go to moddb, you'll find 99% of listed mods have never even made a first release, and that's in the neighbourhood of around 7000. And I hate seeing it, Most of them have a bunch of static screenshots of half finished levels, or taken from angles where they don't look half finished, or unskinned weapon model renders posted for hype, and most prominently are "engine changes". You gotta stick with something and iron it out. "Switching engines" is a cop-out, because if the people had the ability to actually produce their mod from start to finish, they would have had the know-how to decide on which engine to use and not question it half-way through development. Trust me, It doesn't matter what you go with, just make sure before you start it's suitable to your needs, and then stick with it. Difficulty in shipping your mod to the public becomes exponentially more difficult the longer development goes on.

So in short :

If you're doing a reskin without any important programming then why don't you stick with hl2?

If you're actually doing important coding, maybe persistent data, you need to make sure the unreal engine scripting enables you to offload that data and do sql queries if thats how you're going to do it.

And if you're really going to switch, promise yourselves no-matter what you won't switch engines again

I re-read my message and realized it might sound a little critical or condescending but I assure you that is not the intent at all, I love to see community projects and wish you all the best, I'm just trying to provide a little advice so it has a better chance of succeeding! Good luck guys!