What do i need? A Psi-glove viewmodel and icons for the spells would be great, so we can put a basic interface together.

Currently i am using as much basecode from the UDK as possible, to speed up development. As soon as we enter the play-testing stage we will start to remove unneeded functions and especially memory consuming variables from the basecode.

Tbh, i haven't yet looked deep into the viewmodel stuff. As far as i know the guys over at epic simply call it first person mesh here you can find at least some information about it or here or here

It would seem that we are going to migrate to UDK. It all points to a better choice at this point. I'm going to look into converting my files over to UDK in the next few days.

Ok, well I spent some time researching a conversion for the map files and it seems that Hammer will export to .dxf, which can then be imported to UDK, but I'm having some isues with UDK.

I think I will need the project files in order to start the editor and edit for the game.

Please help walk me along, this is all new to me. I haven't used unrealED since the original UT.

When using UDK it might be good to download it at the UDK website and not via steam.

For mapping one doesn't need the project files, at least as long as they do not contain new placeable stuff

What kind of name could you give the project for Unreal engine?
    Unreal Neocron? Neocron: Unreal? Unrealcron? Cronreal? =o

Quote Originally Posted by flib
    What kind of name could you give the project for Unreal engine?
    Unreal Neocron? Neocron: Unreal? Unrealcron? Cronreal? =o
    The real neocron 2
    ingame names: Biglines (dissy spy), Mr Tool (low tech tank), Engineer Tool (constructor), Medical Tool (ppu/hacker/poker), Father Tool (apu)

Quote Originally Posted by Biglines
    The real neocron 2
    lol, that's a good name indeed!

Definitely need to get into reading about this beast. I have exported my entire map from Hammer as a *.dxf, but when I import it into the UDK, I get nothing. I'm going to try exporting it using the older version of Hammer, as the 2009 SDK is STILL not updated...

If all else fails, I will start from the ground up, meaning I can do anything in NC. Any suggestions? Or should I re-recreate Plaza 1?

Tech Haven!

I'm not entirely sure, but in case UDK uses models instead of concave blocks to make maps, using sketchup's photo match might be a good idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSuDoX8SPtU

just make a few screenshots in NC and you can make a quick block model of existing maps, making measuring much easier.
    ingame names: Biglines (dissy spy), Mr Tool (low tech tank), Engineer Tool (constructor), Medical Tool (ppu/hacker/poker), Father Tool (apu)

How about Kirkcron 2? Just to honor Mr. Kirk who brought us the fabulous news! Why the 2? Because Neocron 2 never was supposed to be Neocron 2.

Alright, been doing some reading. Definitely some good yum yum to be had in UDK. Now, I saw this "streaming level" idea on the documentation... Does that apply to multiplayer? If so, we could, in theory, build entire sectors of NC and have objectives and bonuses in each area, sort of like OP wars are now in NC2, on an obviously smaller scale.

Anyhow, I'm going to start tonight, playing in the editor and checkng out the program Biglines suggested. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Also, I think a name is appropriate at this time. I'm a little embarassed at my signature everytime I post, since we're moving to a new engine.

My vote is something like Neocron: Aftermath, or Neocron: Shadow of the Dome... and for purely comical reasons, Neocron: BEFORE Dome of York, lol.

I'm still, from a design perspective, thinking of this mod as a transition from NC1 to NC2, something that is happening DURING the war between NC an DoY. Because, really, it allows us a little flexibility with the story, because we know the before and after, without changing anything or writing any "new" content, and I would hate to ruin anything Kirk and Team have planned for NC3 by writing some crap about what happened after current events. So, I'm going to let that influence design decisions, such as destroyed areas, battle damage, etc. in the world. Any objections?

Not that a fully fledged story is required. But some sort of fan fiction will be involved, I'm sure. Otherwise it would just be "Neocron: The Combat Simulator".
    Last edited by Whitestuff; 15-01-11 at 01:48.

Wondering why this whole idea doesn't infringe copy laws? Especially since NC3 is on the agenda for KK.
    [ Signature removed for violation of the forum rules - Nidhogg ]

Quote Originally Posted by Necpock
    Wondering why this whole idea doesn't infringe copy laws? Especially since NC3 is on the agenda for KK.
    ye, thats why 3 topics of each more than 16 pages have never come to attention of KK? Even in a stickied thread?

hint, if you wanna say something about copyright laws, at least know what you are talking about, mostly it doesn't have anything to do with copyright, but with other intellectual property laws, copyright is only a very very small part of it (and copyright usually only applies to the actual files, and the original code, not the ideas, designs or names).

we have gotten permission for doing this fan art project, seeing as it's non-commercial, although I think the only thing we officially need permission for is using the name, as that's a trademark, but I'm unsure about the actual german legal particulars. We are not allowed to use any of the original Neocron assets, like decompiling models, sounds or materials. But since we're reproducing and updating it anyway, the current game only works as inspiration of derivative work.

but lol, bringing that up over 16 pages into the 3rd thread...
    Last edited by Biglines; 15-01-11 at 02:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Biglines
    ye, thats why 3 topics of each more than 30 pages have never come to attention of KK?

hint, if you wanna say something about copyright laws, at least know what you are talking about.

we have gotten permission for doing this fan art project, seeing as it's non-commercial, although I think the only thing we officially need permission for is using the name, as that's a trademark.

but lol, bringing that up over 30 pages into the 3rd thread...
    Sorry mate, was a question, just wondered. Didn't want to cause an upset. Didn't really bother reading from the start.
    [ Signature removed for violation of the forum rules - Nidhogg ]